Atlassian Releases New CI Server: Bamboo 1.0

Discussions

News: Atlassian Releases New CI Server: Bamboo 1.0

1. Atlassian today introduced Bamboo 1.0, server software that automates the process of continuously building, integrating and testing software code. Bamboo collates build metrics and offers dynamic reports and charts, providing greater insight into development processes. This insight, which Atlassian calls 'build telemetry,' helps users spend less time tracking code problems, and identifies trends, patterns and linkages across all builds. Bamboo is free for open source projects and non-profits. A 30-day evaluation download is available at www.atlassian.com/software/bamboo.

Threaded Messages (29)

2. We've been using it for Wicket for some time now, and it works fantastic.
  3. And we've been using it for Tapestry for a few weeks and it does kick ass!
  4. Bamboon on Mac OS[ Go to top ]

Hi Does it run on Mac OS? I tried looking on the site with regards to system requirements and couldn't find anything. It looks really cool. It's a shame there isn't a free developer edition or did i miss it.
  5. Astroturf[ Go to top ]

Wow... I thought we were done with astroturfing now that Fleury is gone... Did he leave RedHat to become marketing manager at Atlassian?
  6. We've just started using Bamboo and I'm very impressed - Bamboo rocks! James LogicBlaze Open Source SOA
  7. Some scepticism[ Go to top ]

Given a $960 license fee, can anyone explain what additional value does it provide, compared to some well-known CI tools that are $960 cheaper? I see that it "rocks" and "kicks ass", but what exactly is the benefit that makes it worth its cost?
  8. Re: Some scepticism[ Go to top ]

Given a $960 license fee, can anyone explain what additional value does it provide, compared to some well-known CI tools that are $960 cheaper?

I see that it "rocks" and "kicks ass", but what exactly is the benefit that makes it worth its cost?
    CI tools all mostly suck. Howevever Bamboo is the first one I've tried that is actually fun to use & it has great reporting & visualisation of what its doing. For me that alone is worth $960 (which is not much money lets face it). James LogicBlaze Open Source SOA
  9. Re: Some scepticism[ Go to top ]

It does seem slightly buggy to be considered 1.0. Some of the edit screens, especially the modify builders page go wonky. One serious problem I have I think falls over from a Maven bug. When I tell it to use the JUnit xml files that Maven creates it its target directory then Bamboo says it has found 24000 tests, when in fact I only have 805. You can see from the log it only runs 805. This makes a lot of the nice reporting tools useless. Hopefully Atlassian will find a way around this or help out the Maven team.
  10. And i believe maven already fixed it. But you can go around it by configuring the pom file: org.apache.maven.plugins maven-surefire-plugin 2.1.3 because the 2.2 version has that bug. I don't get why maven still don't release a update for that plugin. But going back to the version just before it fixes it.
  11. Re: Maven issue[ Go to top ]

Some of the edit screens, especially the modify builders page go wonky.
    Mate, can I get you to raise this as an issue in JIRA with your browser information and more detail? It'll be great to get it fixed up. You can use the link below. http://jira.atlassian.com/secure/CreateIssue.jspa?pid=11011&issuetype=1
    One serious problem I have I think falls over from a Maven bug
    This is indeed a surefire problem and it's filed with a workaround at: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SUREFIRE-122 I believe this should be fixed for 2.3 release, which from this thread below should be coming out any day now. http://www.nabble.com/-vote--Release-Maven-Surefire-2.3-t3277664s177.html It's be great when this happens so no one will run into this problem again!
  12. Re: Maven issue[ Go to top ]

I knew the bug it related to. Just after I posted here I posted on the Maven user list about pushing back features to 2.4, which seemed to trigger this 2.3 release (although it was long overdue). The screen bugs were most likely in Opera but I'm pretty sure I tried it in IE and Firefox. I'll create an issue next time I use it. There was another more serious problem which caused IE to exit on more than one occasion as well. It also seems that Continuum are looking to start doing releases again. If it gains the possibility to set up dependant builds it could be a contender again.
  13. Re: Some scepticism[ Go to top ]

Nothing against the product or company but James can you please state clearly whether you actually paid for the product? Do all these unqualified ("rocks", "kick ass") endorsements come from open source project "leads" who availed of a free "open source" licensed version? Any real comparative analysis with other solutions? regards, William
  14. Re: Some scepticism[ Go to top ]

Yayess, I mean common now, son! I would luv tuh have a free copy of a "rocks" tool that costs ~$1K retail! Them atlassian waskals, them!
  15. Re: Some scepticism[ Go to top ]

I don’t think paid or not-paid matters much here. There are plenty of free Wikis and issue tracking but we (and plenty of others) paying $$$ to Atlassian for Confluence and JIRA b/c it’s worth it. We’ve used CruiseControl and are happy to pay $960 just to get off of it. We’ve piloted Bamboo and looks miles ahead of other tools. If you are open source – you get it free, if you are commercial entity $960 is a reasonable price for CI solution. Regards, Nikita Ivanov.
  16. Re: Some scepticism[ Go to top ]

b/c it’s worth it.
    I'm not sure thats the "comparative analysis" William was asking for. You know, something that actually lists feature sets and compares solutions etc rather than "kicks ass", "rocks" or "its worth it". Anyone else want to throw some more rhetoric and one liners in ?
  17. Re: Some scepticism[ Go to top ]

"I don’t think paid or not-paid matters much here." Well outside the software world most sensible persons take such matters into account when an endorsement is made by a person. It is human nature to attribute greater value to anything that is provided free of charge. This is so clearly evident in the amount of open source rubbish that is promoted on a daily basis by vessels within the industry without any proper due diligence on the correctness of the solution - not even a cost benefit analysis that go beyonds a typical developers mindset which is NOW. All I asked was for a comparative analysis which does not take into price of different solutions. I just had a meeting with a client who was telling me how "great" their half baked open source ITIL management solution was. When I said compared with what? The answer was "NOTHING". Sorry but "NOTHING" is easy to beat even for open source software. regards, William
  18. Bamboo vs. Cruise Control[ Go to top ]

I've used CC in the past and found it creaky and hard to setup initially, basically hard to configure and maintain. Bamboo was basically: unpack the .tar.gz, configure one line (where to store the configration files and checked out builds), and start. Web interface works great, easy to create and configure new projects, it does all the work, very, very nice useful readable reports. I think it is destined to be as useful and ubiquitous as JIRA.
  19. Re: Some scepticism[ Go to top ]

William, The DamageControl wiki has a decent feature comparision run down of lots of these tools. I'm sure Bamboo will get on that location eventually. http://docs.codehaus.org/display/DAMAGECONTROL/Continuous+Integration+Server+Feature+Matrix I haven't had much time to take it out for a spin, but my initial (and biased) impression is that it is really trying to set itself apart with two things: 1) Snazzy UI -- Atlassian is great at making up a nice looking UI, always has been. 2) Trend identification -- Cruise is focused on telling you about how good your most recent build is. Bamboo extends this by comparing this build to recent builds and putting that in more perspective. Beyond that, CI is a pretty much a solved problem and the free tools do it decently well. Bamboo doesn't seem to have the ambition of doing build management activities like shuffling around dependency build artifacts, or tracking the build products (jars, wars, ears in javaland) of past builds. For that you're looking at Anthills, Lunts, and others that have that kind of focus. Nor is it looking at deployments or lifecycle management as far as I can tell. So it's single server CI, configured through a web interface, with trend information. $960 is pretty cheap though. It just needs to save your team 20 developer hours or so. For a small team or open source project interested in just CI it might be a good fit. Larger commercial teams may need more security features and are likely to have non-Java projects floating around (or use test tools other than JUnit). Anyway, I work for a competitor, but I tried to be fair to it since nobody else was responding with semi-detailed comparision.
  20. Re: Some scepticism[ Go to top ]

Nothing against the product or company but James can you please state clearly whether you actually paid for the product?
    I've not paid for it yet, I've only used it for a few days and you get a months free trial. But I will :)
    Any real comparative analysis with other solutions?
    Bamboo is the best CI tool I've used by some margin and I've tried most things (CruiseControl, DamageControl, Continuum, and a few other I can't remember the names of right now). I've not tried Teamcity or Hudson though so you might wanna try those. However don't take my word for it - just download it and try it for a few days for yourself and see if you like it. I know myself and lots of colleagues who've tried it really love it. James LogicBlaze Open Source SOA
  21. Re: Some scepticism[ Go to top ]

Interestingly, James' list of CI tools he's tried only includes absolute retarded ones, so it's not surprising if he finds Bamboo useful and functional, considering that all the others he mentioned are some combination of 1) written by idiots, 2) toy hobby projects 3) woefully outdated. Hudson (open source), Anthill, and TeamCity all knock the living poop out of any of those, and have good strong communities to back them too. I'm sure bamboo is very pretty and all (and the historic feature does actually sound novel), but the people who think it's the best CI tool ever are the kind of people who'd rather date hot dumb blondes than anyone who can hold a conversation.
  22. Re: Some scepticism[ Go to top ]

Perhaps that's why they call it Bamboo...
  23. Bug?[ Go to top ]

I can't even get it to authenticate with subversion using windows authentication, I have opened a JIRA issue for it: http://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BAM-911 Anyone experience this also?
  24. Re: Some scepticism[ Go to top ]

Given a $960 license fee, can anyone explain what additional value does it provide, compared to some well-known CI tools that are $960 cheaper?

I see that it "rocks" and "kicks ass", but what exactly is the benefit that makes it worth its cost?
    It's simple and it works.
  25. Re: Some scepticism[ Go to top ]

It's simple and it works.
    Err.... will you be getting out your checkbook, son, and writing a check for $960 to express how much the fact that it's simple and works benefits you? I bet not! You cheapskate waskal, you!
  26. Comparisons to Non-Free, Also[ Go to top ]

I'd also be interested in anyone familiar with Pulse or TeamCity had tried Bamboo and how it compares. The big things that seem to me to be missing from Bamboo vs. these two CI servers is multiple build agents, IDE integration and remote/personal builds (builds of a changeset that have not yet been committed to confirm that they are "correct"). --Tim
  27. Hudson[ Go to top ]

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Hudson. It's been a breath of fresh air for myself and our team. We've only recently set it up but everything was very straight forward and works like one would expect. If you have not tried it or are not happy with your current CI tool I urge anyone interested to give it a go. So far we're pretty happy with with.
  28. Re: Hudson[ Go to top ]

The same here. Hudson covers all our needs.
  29. Oops[ Go to top ]

Check out the name of the project in the upper left hand corner of the demo video: http://www.atlassian.com/software/bamboo/videos/developer/developer.jsp
  30. Altassian produces good products, as a rule, though, as others have mentioned, it's hard to justify paying for a solution when there is a wide range of O/S solutions around. A commercial solution has to be much better. I haven't checked out Bamboo yet, though I will do do, as it fits right into the work I'm currently doing on the "Java Power Tools" book (see http://www.javapowertools.com/). Anyone interesting in CI solutions might want to check out (and participate in!) the poll I set up last week on the "Java Power Tools" web site (see http://www.javapowertools.com/polls). - John.