is pleased to announce the availability of the Community Version 2.0 of its Open Source Enterprise Content Management System and JSR-170-based repository. This version is now available under the GPL license with a FLOSS exception which allows any open source software using an OSI-approved license to embed the Alfresco repository or applications without change of license or attribution.
Download the Alfresco 2.0 CMS here
Learn more about Implementing Document Management
Version 2.0 has combined the core Alfresco repository with the new web content management system and records management system. The web content management system was designed and implemented by the original engineers from Interwoven who joined Alfresco at the beginning of 2006. The WCM system provides:
- Simple import of existing web sites
- Simple Xforms-based entry of XML data based upon the open source Chiba project with AJAX extensions
- Templating of XML and HTML based upon XSLT and Freemarker
- Virtual sandboxes for staging of web sites without copying files
- Timeline snapshot of web sites with zero effort
- Standard web production workflows extending the JBoss jBPM engine with group and queue support
Version 2.0 has added new federated search by implementing the OpenSearch protocol supported by hundreds of search engines. OpenSearch is a naturally federable search protocol combining searches from multiple search engines. Alfresco acts as both an OpenSearch server participating in a federated search from a web browser or portlet and an OpenSearch client as the Alfresco web client supports searching against multiple Alfresco repositories as well as multiple internet search engines.
Alfresco has also added new AJAX controls for browsing and navigating the repository to the web client. The Alfresco repository has added a new relationships and metadata to support the translation process and multiple language variants of the same content. This capability was developed for use by multi-national corporations and government agencies.