Discussions

General J2EE: Comparative research of .NET and J2EE

1. Comparative research of .NET and J2EE (4 messages)

I am doing a research about the drawbacks and advantages of .NET and/or J2EE. I selected some criteria and I would like to know if you can discuss about some of them: Are APIs and libraries portable? Compatibility between different versions For which kind of customers, .NET or J2EE is prevailing? Is the developers’ productivity satisfying? Can we easily tune the framework? How efficient are the security functions? Is .NET or J2EE greedy? Is there a weak point about performance? Are .NET or J2EE applications scalable?
  2. In your question you talk about the advatages of J2EE vs .Net. Having worked on both, i'd just like to make one observation... J2EE is an architecture whereas .Net is a programming language. Bear with me... What I mean by this is that the J2EE specification also specifies a 'server' on which the J2EE application will run. It discusses the resources available to the application and includes details of how these applications and their resources can be located (e.g. JNDI). Don't get me wrong, I'm not dismissing .Net - I'm simply pointing out that the comparison will be difficult. In .Net, there is no server, no deployment descriptors, and no clustering options as standard. These can all be added, but the basic building blocks for applications are very different. Certainly as a J2EE programmer who has ventured into .Net, I found this difference in paradigms noticeable immediately. This freedom from a framework can be very liberating, but it can also lead to problems and mistakes if you're not careful. Hope this helps. Ben http://www.benwilcock.net
  3. Thanks Ben for your precision. Of course everybody knows that .NET and J2EE are not strictly comparable, as you noted. For my study, I would like to take an other point of view : a customer wants an application (whatever you want!) with no choice about the environment between .NET or J2EE. He asks us, which one should be the best, where will be the specific weak points, etc... That's why I defined severeal criteria (portability, stability, technical use, connectivity, security and scalability) and sub-criteria more precised (like questions in my previous post). I would like to answer these subcriteria to have an idea (as objective as possible) of the criteria. Finally, we could have a support to help the decision of the customer for a specific project context.
  4. Hi Olivier, I wonder if from the perspective of your company, the guidance you give to your customer may also depend on a couple of other factors that we haven't yet mentioned - Resource and Cost. Specifically, where will the resource come from? Do you have J2EE and .Net developers available or more of one particular kind. And Cost, will it be cheaper to build say a web application using Java/J2EE because you get so much stuff for free? (IDE, Language, Servers, Databases, HTTP stack, Source control, Continuous Integration, etc?). Maybe someone else could come in on the portability, stability, technical use, connectivity, security and scalability issues? Certainly in the case of Cost, I would say J2EE wins hands down - and to my customers that means a lot! Good luck Ben http://www.benwilcock.net
  5. Well done Ben! Actually I have 7 criteria, I omitted "cost" in my list (resource aspect being included inside costs). As you wrote, I hope somebody will dare to answer me. If you think you are qualified (no need to be an expert), go ahead! I would be pleased to read you, your argumentation seems good. Olivier