Sun Web Developer Pack announced

Discussions

News: Sun Web Developer Pack announced

1. Sun Web Developer Pack announced (15 messages)

Arun Gupta has pointed out the release of the Sun Web Developer Pack (SWDP), "a new integrated toolkit from Sun Microsystems that consists of a collection of Web 2.0 technologies that enable next generation Web application development." It comes with Netbeans plugins to help developers along. SWDP includes with jMaki, Dynamic Faces, Web services with Atom/REST APIs/WADL, and server side scripting with Project Phobos. Supported containers generally include Sun application servers, along with Tomcat. As nice as it is to have a meme attached to the latest web development technologies, one still wonders about the value of "Web 2.0" when what it actually stands for is still unclear. On the other hand, "Web 2.0" is at least a recognizable term, and who knows what other term would have been coined? (My vote would have been: "Webizzle," although the Shizzolator site seems to be down so I can't get Snoop's actual suggestion.)

Threaded Messages (15)

2. I am tiered of long lists of technologies, features and buzzwords. Please, answer the question what kind of real world application is easy to develop with Sun Web Developer Pack, if any. For instance, an answer for Ruby on Rails may be "New applications which are database-backed and browser-front-ended." Nebojsa
  3. I am tiered of long lists of technologies, features and buzzwords. Please, answer the question what kind of real world application is easy to develop with Sun Web Developer Pack, if any.

For instance, an answer for Ruby on Rails may be "New applications which are database-backed and browser-front-ended."

Nebojsa
    Even shorter ... "Like RoR, it performs magic". :)
  4. I am tiered of long lists of technologies, features and buzzwords. Please, answer the question what kind of real world application is easy to develop with Sun Web Developer Pack, if any.

For instance, an answer for Ruby on Rails may be "New applications which are database-backed and browser-front-ended."

Nebojsa
    Yeah, but that's too broad a description for RoR. How about "New applications that doesn't require a lot of business level complexity, have fairly simple domain models and are web based".
  5. actually no[ Go to top ]

Since I've already opened my big mouth somewhere else - I should say that purely from a "philosophical design" perspective , jMaki / Phobos have more to offer than GWT. I'm not saying I wouldn't prefer that everyone use Tapestry of course, just that from my javascript dev experience (somewhat knowledgeable here) - the projects look worthwhile investigating if you are currently playing with GWT...Which of course is the root of all evil - much like winforms / oracleforms.. =p for whatever that's worth...
    I am tiered of long lists of technologies, features and buzzwords. Please, answer the question what kind of real world application is easy to develop with Sun Web Developer Pack, if any.

Nebojsa
  6. Boring!...[ Go to top ]

I've bored of piles of APIs for Web (especially Service) development. However, I've decided to implement a unified communication framework like WCF on .NET for Java. It's likely the name will be UCF (I really bored of project names starting with the letter "j") The motto for project is "simplicity for integrity" Regards, ekrem "eax" aksoy eaxthearchitect.blogspot.com
  7. Boring till death!![ Go to top ]

How many packs, tools does sun provide web services development pack, now this sun web developer pack. If you go to their down load section you can get lost for years finding the right thing to download. None of their geeky engineers(if there are any left in SUN) know anything about site accessibility and customer experience. And ofcourse all the tools and development kits sound very similar and have a lot of overlap. And on top of all this there is ahrdly any documentation around these kits which explains what to use it for and how. Its so hard to find a simple jdk download at time for a specific jdk version. No wonder Sun is about to pack up its shop. :)
  8. Re: Boring till death!![ Go to top ]

If you go to their down load section you can get lost for years finding the right thing to download.
    only if you are so stupid.
  9. Re: Boring till death!![ Go to top ]

If you go to their down load section you can get lost for years finding the right thing to download.

Yeah i m stupid to expect simple download pages and ways to get to older versions of jdk in an easier manner. And good documentation oh - why should i expect it from sun when i can read the source code. Yep ..i m stupid. I should know by heart all these took kits and developer packs sun releases.Even if sun doesnt know what the tookkits do , i should. yeah i m silly. why m i alive :(
  10. Re: Boring till death!![ Go to top ]

No...you're just stupid.... ;)

Yeah i m stupid to expect simple download pages and ways to get to older versions of jdk in an easier manner. And good documentation oh - why should i expect it from sun when i can read the source code. Yep ..i m stupid. I should know by heart all these took kits and developer packs sun releases.Even if sun doesnt know what the tookkits do , i should. yeah i m silly. why m i alive :(
  11. Re: Boring till death!![ Go to top ]

Is it just me, or have the serverside comments reached an absolutely new low? This is almost like a grade school discussion. To bring the discussion back to a serious level, for one I am glad about choice, although I do not really like googles latest attempts of reinventing the wheel instead of attaching themselves onto an existing oss framework, but this is about Sun. Why not, I am sure we will see other efforts into rich client/ajax uis from other vendors as well, there is a huge demand for this stuff, so every framework will get its share of those controls.
  12. Re: Boring till death!![ Go to top ]

Is it just me, or have the serverside comments reached an absolutely new low?
    This is almost like a grade school discussion.
    Are you, like, forty?
    I am glad about choice, although I do not really like googles latest attempts of reinventing the wheel instead of attaching themselves onto an existing oss framework
    I like Google's wheel.
  13. Re: Boring till death!![ Go to top ]

Is it just me, or have the serverside comments reached an absolutely new low?
    This is almost like a grade school discussion.
    Are you, like, forty?
    Almost, many people here are at a certain age ;-)
  14. Re: Boring till death!![ Go to top ]

Hey, nobody has drawn a parallel between these technologies and COBOL [the high-tech equivalent of comparing someone to Hilter]... 'cept me... all smileys would be harmed by inclusion in this message
  15. forgot to mention[ Go to top ]

there is also java dynamic management kit :) did you know that ?
  16. Re: Boring till death!![ Go to top ]

Go here to get older versions of the jdk http://java.sun.com/products/archive/