WebLogic 10 and BEA Workshop for WebLogic 10 available

Discussions

News: WebLogic 10 and BEA Workshop for WebLogic 10 available

1. Weblogic Server 10 and a new release of BEA Workshop for Weblogic have been released. WebLogic 10 (free download with registration) includes support for a compatible implementation of JEE5 in WLS, as well as support for the latest version of Eclipse, JavaServer Faces, and standardized annotations for Java Web Services. In addition to leveraging the latest Eclipse 3.2 and WebTools 1.5, Workshop for WebLogic now installs as a plug-in to an existing Eclipse installation. This release supports for WebLogic Server 10 and also provides a Multi-version upgrade wizard for both 9.2 and 8.1 users. Other key enhancements focus on improvements to the Beehive Web Service Control, and ANT build script export. Additional Details: Workshop 10.0 based on Eclipse 3.2.1 and WTP 1.5.2 + patches -Installs as plugin to existing Eclipse -Development for Server 10 -Only supports WebLogic Server 10.0, use W4WP 9.2 for WLS 9.2 development. The merge release this summer will support 10 and 9.2. -Light Java EE5 support Migration for 9.2 and 8.1 users -Opening a 9.2 workspace or projects will trigger a migration of the projects to 10.0 (user is prompted) -Automatic SCM checkout is performed -No going back to 9.2 -- this is an in place migration -No cross development between 9.2 and 10.0 -SCM implications (better branch before migration) -Binary compatibility with 9.2 ears provided via library versioning -Upgrade of 8.1 apps supported directly to 10.0 Beehive Service Control enhancements -Support in Service Control for incremental WLS 10.0 JWS enhancements -WS-Security 1.1 -WS-Secure Conversations -SAML Token Profile -Binary (MTOM) web service message attachments (for images or other binary data) -10.0 Service Control now works with 8.1 Web services including callbacks

Threaded Messages (21)

2. Very nice![ Go to top ]

Great to see WL getting the full JEE5 treatment. Quick questions: - This looks like the final release a.k.a. GA release, right? - Does this mean that WebLogic Portal 10 is GA already as well? - I assume this has the latest and greatest KODO / OpenJPA version that Patrick & co. have been working to finish? Peace, Cameron Purdy Tangosol Coherence: Data Grid
  3. Re: Very nice![ Go to top ]

Great to see WL getting the full JEE5 treatment.

Quick questions:
    - This looks like the final release a.k.a. GA release, right?
    - Does this mean that WebLogic Portal 10 is GA already as well?
    - I assume this has the latest and greatest KODO / OpenJPA version that Patrick & co. have been working to finish?

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol Coherence: Data Grid
    +1 Also great news is Upgrade of 8.1 apps supported directly to 10.0. I sure there are some glitches but atleast the claim puts a lot of folks at ease.
  4. Re: Very nice![ Go to top ]

9.2 to 10 will be an automatic upgrade. the experience for 8.1 to 9.2 or 8.1 to 10 varies from automatic to manual, depending on what 8.1 features you used.
  5. Re: Very nice![ Go to top ]

- This looks like the final release a.k.a. GA release, right?
    Yep, it's a GA release.
    - Does this mean that WebLogic Portal 10 is GA already as well?
    Yes. WebLogic Server, Portal, and Workshop 10 are all GA.
    - I assume this has the latest and greatest KODO / OpenJPA version that Patrick & co. have been working to finish?
    Yes; I don't remember which OpenJPA svn revision number we built from, but it was something relatively recent. It uses Kodo version 4.1.3, which is an internal-only release -- the next standalone Kodo release will be 4.1.4 or higher. FWIW, you can find out more about the version of Kodo / OpenJPA included by running 'java kodo.conf.KodoVersion' and taking a look at the output. -Patrick -- Patrick Linskey http://bea.com
  6. WebLogic Portal 10 is GA as well[ Go to top ]

What's new in WebLogic Portal 10? AJAX Portals — the rendering framework can update entire pages and portlets (no full page refresh) dynamically via AJAX. Adrenaline — Web 2.0 mashups combine content from more than one source into an integrated experience, including portlets _to_ Google Gadgets (as well as from) Content presenter — A new content display portlet called the content presenter that is a wizard based business user tool to select content for display within a portlet. Multi-version Upgrade — Upgrade BEA WebLogic Portal 8.1.4+ and 9.2 applications and WebLogic Server domains to version 10. Flexible Administration Tools — New modules can be added to the administration tools and sections of the entire administration portal application can be reused in custom portals. Standard Frameworks — Additional support for Spring Core and Spring MVC and the Apache MyFaces implementation of JavaServer Faces, including the ability for JSR components to use Inter Portlet Communication. Eclipse 3.2 — As mentioned this ships with BEA Workshop for WebLogic which is now based on Eclipse 3.2 and includes support for installing the Workshop plugins into an existing Eclipse 3.2 environment. Portal Standards — Support for the latest 2.0 version of the Web Services for Remote Portlets (WSRP) standard and new wizards for federating remote pages and books as easily as portlets. Improved JSR-168 portlet developer tools including an import / export wizard. MySQL support — Support for MySQL version 5, a leading open source database. Finally I'll mention that in addition to our usual product pages which have information on the new release, we are currently updating our live technology preview site at: http://wlp.bea.com
  7. Important notice from BEA[ Go to top ]

For BEA WebLogic Server 10, BEA WebLogic Portal 10 and BEA WebLogic Workshop 10 customers http://support.bea.com/support_news/Important_Notice_for_WL_10_Users_Licensing_Update.jsp
  8. It appears that WLS 10.0 is not supported on Solaris!? That's amazing. This a temporary state I assume, or a typo in the information I found. Also It seems that this version specifically requires Java 5 and not Java 6. I was surprised by that. This is the source of my information: http://edocs.bea.com/platform/suppconfigs/configs100/100_over/overview.html
  9. WLS and WLP 10.0 both support Solaris, the link you mentioned had a typo. It's now been updated. http://edocs.bea.com/platform/suppconfigs/configs100/100_over/overview.html Thanks for pointing this out. -Chris (BEA Systems)
  10. This rumor has been going around for quite a while, but any plans on support OS X? More and more devs are going that way and it would be nice if you provided some even unofficial installation for OS X. Ilya
  11. This rumor has been going around for quite a while, but any plans on support OS X? More and more devs are going that way and it would be nice if you provided some even unofficial installation for OS X.

Ilya
    +1 :-) I once was able to run Weblogic 8.1 using a Unix tar distribution together with some patch found on the web... So, even an unofficial installation would be great ! Bertrand Pinel CTO Ippon Technologies
  12. This rumor has been going around for quite a while, but any plans on support OS X? More and more devs are going that way and it would be nice if you provided some even unofficial installation for OS X.

Ilya

+1 :-)

I once was able to run Weblogic 8.1 using a Unix tar distribution together with some patch found on the web... So, even an unofficial installation would be great !

Bertrand Pinel
    CTO
    Ippon Technologies
    This blogpost describes how to run WLS10 on Intel based OS X machines. Althoug not officialy supported.
  13. There probably aren't many production deployments of WebLogic on OS X, but I've been at companies where development was done on a Mac, and I'm guessing that is becoming more and more common. It would be nice to see an "official" OS X release instead of having to hack it. Brett
  14. we need to tag requests for OS support to our customers. If you can send me your company name to pieterh at bea dot com, we can get it into our requirements system with a customer name attached. Sincerely, Pieter
  15. Bertrand - we need to tag requests for OS support to our customers. If you can send me your company name to pieterh at bea dot com, we can get it into our requirements system with a customer name attached. There are also a lot of really good Windows / MACOS emulators that you can use in the meantime... Sincerely, Pieter
  16. Hi Peter, I know this is an old post, but do you have weblogic 10 on OSX? Atleast for development?
  17. This rumor has been going around for quite a while, but any plans on support OS X? More and more devs are going that way and it would be nice if you provided some even unofficial installation for OS X.

Ilya
    it it definitely offtopic but glassfish runs fine on OS X. we have the first beta out of the second generation. Peter (Sun employee)
  18. I used this article to get Weblogic 9.2 running on my G4 and G5 using Java 5.0. http://www.neobeans.com/blog/?p=257 If you scroll down to the comments it also tells you this fix to get the console to work without runing out of memory. MEM_ARGS=”-Xms512m -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m” I do wish they would officially support it. I want to tie in the Apache Web Server to test the proxy and SSL support and it seems the generic version as you might expect does not come with a proxy .so module.
  19. The Workshop is so poor[ Go to top ]

The Workshop for Weblogic is too simple to complish JEE development. Why not merge the Workshop and the Workshop Studio(formerly M7)?
  20. Re: The Workshop is so poor[ Go to top ]

we are! That release will be available this summer. - Pieter, BEA Systems
  21. AIX support?[ Go to top ]

I wonder when AIX will be supported for WebLogic 10 platform? Is there any information in this regard?
  22. When installing BEA Workshop for Weblogic 10, DO NOT "upgrade" an existing Eclipse 3.2.2 WTP 1.5.4 installation. W4W 10 will trash your existing server definitions ie: when adding a new server target, you will only see the Weblogic ones, Tomcat/JBoss/oracle etc are GONE. Now I understand this is a licensing thing, but I wouldn't expect it to trash my eclipse as well. (I would expect when I start W4W to see this limitation, but starting Eclipse WTP 1.5.4 I would want to keep my existing development environment - shame on you BEA!)