Discussions

News: HandyTapestry 1.0, Intellij Idea Tapestry plugin

1. [url=http://handyedit.com/handytapestry.html]HandyTapestry 1.0[/url], a commercial plugin for [url=http://tapestry.apache.org]Tapestry[/url] 4.0 development in [url=http://www.jetbrains.com/idea]IntelliJ IDEA[/url], has been released. It includes code completion, navigation from the HTML template to Java code, Tapestry component creation, and more. What's new: - page specification support - navigate / complete properties from component specification - navigate / complete jwcid attribute value (component reference) - delete component UI enhancements - settings enhancement - fix: autocomplete close tag - fix: completion in the src attribute of the img tag - highlighting fixes A 45-day evaluation license can be emailed to new users; it's $19.95 USD for the full license.
  2. Thank you for the great plugin Alexei. I've never kept any tapestry related plugin in any ide installed for more than a day but do actually find many uses for this one on a daily basis. The ognl expression completion's are especially cool. In fact - the ognl/asset/bean/etc completions are probably the only and biggest reason why I do use it. :)
  3. Hi Alexei, Did you know that Howard has claimed there is no need for an IDE for Tapestry development. Just google it on his blog site and you will find that statement. He claims RoR has been a success without an IDE so Tapestry could as well. And by success of RoR, I don't get him. As most people measure the success of a technology based on how widespread it's been adopted in the enterprise for large scale sites, unfortunately he bases his success on the majority of the small group of friends around him using RoR. Have you thought about supporting Tapestry 5? And Tapestry 6 that would also require a whole re-write of Tapestry 5? Jan
  4. Oh look ...It's another wicket user.
  5. Hi Jesse, What you're trying to portray me to be: a Wicket user, is not accurate. Yes, I've looked into Wicket before but I've used Tapestry in the past and currently using GWT for all our applications. Just for the record. Jan
  6. "uh huh" Whatever you say professor.... Oh look, here's your home page. The image of you looks just as pretentious and full of shit as you sound in these forums. =p http://www.jandejonge.nl/
  7. "uh huh" Whatever you say professor....

Oh look, here's your home page. The image of you looks just as pretentious and full of shit as you sound in these forums. =p

http://www.jandejonge.nl/
    Jesse, you are such a dumbass troll. How did you ever get on a respectable project like Tapestry? Now, I don't know anything about the Jan De Jonge in this thread, but both his first and his last name are very common in Holland, and the site you picked out is from a professor in Psychology with zero references to IT work on his CV.
  8. Eee gads. Don't take it so personally Eelco. I've always despised incompetence, it's not unique to you or wicket.
    ..Jesse, you are such a dumbass troll. How did you ever get on a respectable project like Tapestry? Now, I don't know anything about the Jan De Jonge in this thread, but both his first and his last name are very common in Holland, and the site you picked out is from a professor in Psychology with zero references to IT work on his CV.
  9. Jesse I have to wonder if you have some sort of inferiority complex. It's not every day that it's a tapestry guy making the first wicket reference on a tapestry thread. You're comment is as retarded as it is pointless and unfounded. Advocacy for your project should never include the denigration of another. If you can't compete on technical points maybe you should stfu and let someone else speak. And yes, I *am* a wicket user. But we evaluated tap5 here at work and really liked it. We've gone with wicket but we likely would have gone with tap5 if it were due anywhere closer to May/June. So since you have all this time to cast aspersions, perhaps you should focus on shipping the new version instead. Meanwhile, the rest of us are getting work done.
  10. Hi Alexei,

Did you know that Howard has claimed there is no need for an IDE for Tapestry development. Just google it on his blog site and you will find that statement. He claims RoR has been a success without an IDE so Tapestry could as well. And by success of RoR, I don't get him. As most people measure the success of a technology based on how widespread it's been adopted in the enterprise for large scale sites, unfortunately he bases his success on the majority of the small group of friends around him using RoR.
    Have you thought about supporting Tapestry 5? And Tapestry 6 that would also require a whole re-write of Tapestry 5?

Jan
    I can't speak for Howard, but in general you can say a framework is good when it doesn't *need* tool support to work with. However, if tools make you use a framework even more efficiently, I'm sure no-one is against that.
  11. I believe you are quoting me out of context. What I really said was "if you can't program it by flipping switches on the front of the case, then it's woefully misdesigned". Wizards, GUIs, editors, mice, keyboards and ASCII are all unnecessary abstractions designed to provide an illusion of productivity, while really just getting in the way of how traditional developers work. Tapestry 6 will be supplied in schematic form: just wire up a few breadboards and plug into your serial port for a basic application, and using its Hot Solder (tm) technology, its completely extensible (as long as you have an 48-pin DIL ZIF Socket EPROM burner handy). Tapestry 7 is much more ambitious. All I can say know is that my plans call for a system of pressure hoses, valves, and water driven gears ... but I don't want to get ahead of myself.
  12. Wizards, GUIs, editors, mice, keyboards and ASCII are all unnecessary abstractions designed to provide an illusion of productivity, while really just getting in the way of how traditional developers work.
    Howard, Traditional developers code with vi, emacs, etc. I hope with this comment you're also implying that you're doing all your development productively with vi or emacs instead of with Eclipse or IntelliJ and having fun with it. And anyone here reading can find out it's the contrary by just googling on your blog site. To be honest, this is the most absurd thing I've heared from you ever. You keep surprising me each time. Jan
  13. Sounds like someone lost his sensayuma and couldn't tell that Howard was being facetious. Coffee anyone?
  14. Did you know that Howard has claimed there is no need for an IDE for Tapestry development.
    Referencing class properties and methods from template looks like calling Java methods from other methods. So inspections and error highlighting help to detect errors without application launch, you don't type many symbols and look into other files with completions and you navigate to the declaration instead opening the file with declaration and finding the declaration.
    Have you thought about supporting Tapestry 5?
    I'm planning to support Tapestry 5