Discussions

News: Michael Yuan: First Release of Seam Plugin for NetBeans

1. Michael Yuan has posted "First Release of Seam Plugin for NetBeans!," pointing out Petr Pisl's contribution to the NetBeans community. A full walkthrough of generating a simple application is posted; the plugin is still new, but looks good. The plugin looks like it can only deploy to JBoss AS (which isn't much of a limitation, in real terms) but it'll be nice when Java EE 5 is standard enough that Seam can be as cross-server as, say, Hibernate is.
  2. Actually, Seam applications can be deployed to almost all application servers: Glassfish, plain Tomcat, WebSphere 6.x, WebLogic 9.x ... The trick is that Seam can use POJO components instead of fully fledged EJB3 components, and hence you can write Seam apps that run on any J2EE server. Seam EJB3 applications can deploy in JBoss AS and Glassfish. I think it can probably deploy to Oracle and WebLogic's EJB3 containers with minor tweaks as well.
  3. My point was not that Seam couldn't be deployed to various containers, but that the plugin supported JBoss AS only.
  4. My point was not that Seam couldn't be deployed to various containers, but that the plugin supported JBoss AS only.
    Thanks for the clarification, and sorry if I was too zealous in "defending" Seam in my first response! Since the NetBeans plugin is written by Petr Pisl (a Sun employee), I expect it to support Glassfish deployment (both in POJO and EJB3) very soon. :)
  5. Does anyone have links to articles or blogs that objectively review seam in its current state? It seams ;) promising but I like to read something else than the usual hallelujah on their site.
  6. IBM developerWorks has recently published an article on Seam. It written by Dan Allen, who is not affiliate with Red Hat. http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-seam1/index.html Nuxeo, an open source CMS company, presented a Seam case-study at JBoss World last year: http://www.slideshare.net/sfermigier/nuxeo-ep-5-open-source-enterprise-content-management-a-seam-case-study/ Other reviews can be found if you search the blogsphere. Hope that helps.
  7. Does anyone have links to articles or blogs that objectively review seam in its current state? It seams ;) promising but I like to read something else than the usual hallelujah on their site.
    Hi Dennis, If you are looking for more information about Seam, you may want to check out the Seam tag reference documentation and Seam user guide on our website. If you are looking for more plugins for Seam, you may want to check out our product, SeamTools for Dreamweaver. (A free community edition is available for download.) The extension includes comprehensive support for the Seam framework, including Seam tag auto-completion, context-sensitive help, and EJB3 component integration. Hope it helps! Ian Hlavats JSFToolbox - JavaServer Faces for Dreamweaver
  8. thanks for the links guys