Discussions

News: 100% Swing Mozilla Java Browser SDK released

1. JadeLiquid Software has announced the release of the WebRenderer Swing Edition. The WebRenderer Swing Edition is a Java browser SDK built upon Mozilla technologies (the same components as utilized by Firefox 1.5) and rendering in 100% pure Java Swing. Through the WebRenderer Swing Edition, the rendering quality of Mozilla is paired with the lightweight drawing of Swing including support for Java Look and Feels (L&F), Swing dialogs and all Swing components. The WebRenderer Swing Edition architecture provides seamless integration into Swing applications with the web content rendering and standards compliance of Mozilla. No longer is there a great divide between Swing and real world commercial strength Web Content rendering. The WebRenderer Swing Edition is the most standards compliant Java browser SDK commercially available supporting HTML 4.01, XHTML, SSL, JavaScript (including AJAX), CSS 1 & 2, XSL, XSLT, XML, W3C DOM, plugins and Java Applets. This SDK provides a framework to allow enterprise mash-ups utilizing Swing, AJAX and complex web content all within a Swing Desktop application. The WebRenderer Swing Edition is a Java browser SDK based upon the native parsing and layout of the Mozilla engine. What this means is that web content is laid-out in a standards compliant manner delivering faithful rendering of all web content in Swing. A trial version of WebRenderer Swing Edition is available at www.webrenderer.com. Pricing is available on inquiry.

Threaded Messages (7)

2. Hi, The pricing for mine is also available only on request since I'm scared upon publishing my absurd pricing on my website, potential buyers may run away from my product like rats.
  3. Pure Swing?[ Go to top ]

So what's the deal here? Based on Mozilla technology means that there's quite a bunch of native code, so it's at least not pure Java. Now about pure Swing, I'd be interested in learning how this is actually achieved, are the pages natively rendered to a buffer and then copied to AWT images? How does this work with browser interaction and JavaScript? Or is there another process where maybe Mozilla outputs logical rendering instructions, which are then interpreted by WebRenderer and rendered when needed in a fashion that's "pure Swing"? Please provide more technical details about the implementation.
  4. Re: Pure Swing?[ Go to top ]

So what's the deal here? Based on Mozilla technology means that there's quite a bunch of native code, so it's at least not pure Java...
    I am also confused by the bumpf. However, it looks to me like it must be a re-implementation of the Mozilla rendering engine in Java.
    Please provide more technical details about the implementation.
    +1
  5. Not 100% pure Swing[ Go to top ]

Nothing published in API or docs on their site says that it's 100% Java, just '100% pure Swing Lightweight rendering'. As a Firefox dev I can't see any evidence that they have implemented the rendering though. IMO they are using the Gecko Runtime Engine (GRE), and the embedding API to provide Java widgets, but the true rendering is done in the GRE.
  6. RE[ Go to top ]

The WebRenderer Swing Edition implements all the rendering in Swing. If you run it through a Java profiler or debugger you will see the Java font creation, drawStrings etc. Our Desktop Edition lets Mozilla do the rendering, our Swing Edition is as we state, 100% pure Swing.
  7. Here's a similar software from the open source side of the world: http://jrex.mozdev.org/
  8. Congratulations! Great job.