JavaOne Wish List

Discussions

News: JavaOne Wish List

1. JavaOne Wish List (11 messages)

Here is Frank Cohen's wish list for JavaOne 2007: 1) Sun announces the next EJB specification and makes EJB a JBI container. 2) Sun announces that Java will be open-source. Oh, yea, that was the 2006 JavaOne (and 2005, and 2004, and...) 3) HP (system management) announces they will buy Sun (Java, mobile environments,) BEA (application server, complex event processing, BPM), and Accenture (consulting practice.) 4) Sun and Apache reach agreement on a new license for the Java TCK acceptance toolkit. Harmony ships certified shortly after. 5) Spring announces "free beer" to anyone that switches from EJB to Pojos. Everyone gets drunk! 6) James Gosling unveils his secret project that turns out to be a Ruby On Rails-like development platform that only uses dynamic scripting languages. 7) Sun announces JavaOne 2008 will be hosted on the island of Java. (Causing a windfall for sunscreen-for-geeks manufacturers.) 8) Redhat/JBoss writes a Rails database driver based on Hibernate. 9) Apple ships its JDK 1.6. 10) The open-source alpha distribution of the PushToTest Version 5 test automation tool ships. 11) Eclipse announces a NetBeans compatibility kit that lets NetBeans components run in Eclipse, and vice versa. What's your wish list?

Threaded Messages (11)

2. 12.) Sun and Adobe ship some trimmed down version of Java in Flash Player 10 (from Yakov Fain blog)
  3. Sun finally admits that the experiment with checked exceptions was a major blunder that resulted in countless disastrous implementations and error handling failures, sincerely apologizes for any pain and confusion the experiment may have caused, and announces the removal of checked exceptions from Java! Sun hopes the announcement will not cause major disturbancies, civil war, and/or waves of mass suicide among the faithful, and invites those who feel betrayed and abandoned to take part in Sun-sponsored therapy sessions. :))))
  4. Re: JavaOne Wish List[ Go to top ]

13) Sun announces that all code in the JDK marked as deprecated will finally be actually removed (somewhere around the release of JDK 22)
  5. Re: JavaOne Wish List[ Go to top ]

I think it's more likely they remove the deprecated keyword (heh!), but good one. Along similar lines, I would like to hear them split off some of the standard api into separate libraries, such as the corba packages. It's not hard for people to deal with JavaMail, and similarly I don't think it will be hard for them to deal with JavaCorba (or whatever). Even though I'm accustomed to the clutter, I'd still appreciate the housecleaning :) Estimated chances of this actually happening: 0%.... but a man can dream. And how about the jPhone? *silly grin*
  6. Not limited to Sun[ Go to top ]

"I think it's more likely they remove the deprecated keyword (heh!), but good one." That's a great one. LOL It seems like every JavaOne has some mobility product for sale to attendees as the "next big thing." Last year they had a $250 phone that was a Java development platform. And the year before that was a very nice Linux-based PDA. Any TSS reader actually buy and do anything with these?I wonder what they will do this year? -Frank
  7. Re: JavaOne Wish List[ Go to top ]

I think it's more likely they remove the deprecated keyword (heh!)
    Hehehe, that wouldn't be a bad idea ;) LOL
    Along similar lines, I would like to hear them split off some of the standard api into separate libraries,
    Indeed, and perhaps also a Jave CE (Core Edition) on which other editions (like SE and EE) build. I always found it funny that Java EE sits on top of Java SE, which has all the ATW and Swing classes that are for the larger part never needed by Java EE.
  8. Re: JavaOne Wish List[ Go to top ]

Along the line of removing corba from the JDK and creating JavaCORBA: -Bundling .applet, .awt, and .swing into JavaGUI -Bundling .rmi into JavaRMI -Bundling .sound into JavaSound
  9. Design by Contract[ Go to top ]

Sun has recently taken a look at the top RFEs and finally announces full build in support for Design by Contract :o)
  10. Re: JavaOne Wish List[ Go to top ]

15. Sun-Microsoft alliance announces new programming framework named "weLIVE". 16. New programming language "we$" will be released to replace C# and Java in two years. No VM/CLR will be required. 17. Google announces new tool Java2GTk.
  11. Re: JavaOne Wish List[ Go to top ]

Rollback to jdk 1.4 Throw away all that ........ generics and annotations. Guido.
  12. Re: JavaOne Wish List[ Go to top ]

Rollback to jdk 1.4
    Throw away all that ........ generics and annotations.

Guido.
    !! Really i would also wish that, i like Java as it is, i think more and more api should be added, not the language construct, it is annoying for me to write and read new "for loops", and whats the need when eclipse write everything for me... !!