Discussions

News: LibreSource 2.2, the other forge

1. LibreSource 2.2, the other forge (10 messages)

LibreSource is a versatile collaborative platform. Open Source, modular and highly customizable, LibreSource is adapted to the collaborative software development, groupware, community leading, e-archiving and Web publishing. On a single server, LibreSource can host several projects, several groups of users, and grant fine grained access to the resources. Based on Java/J2EE technology, LibreSource is a modular web server that users can customize online by combining resources and rights: wiki pages, forum, trackers, SCMs, files, download areas, drop box, forms, etc. Effective communication is a fundamental requirement for agile project management. In this new version, LibreSource 2.2 embeds the Tigase Jabber server and the Jeti Jabber client. This integration allows notifications and informal communication thru instant messaging. LibreSource simplifies the creation of a dynamic community and help to maintain and enhance team relationship in order to improve the cooperative efficiency. LibreSource 2.2 brings three new resources: LDAP groups, drop boxes, and forms. The LDAP group resource introduces the capability to map LibreSource groups of users from LDAP groups. The drop box resource allows users to upload files to a confidential area. With the form resource, a manager can create an electronic form online and let users populate it. Such results can be selectively displayed on any page of the server, as a table or as a answer record, and can be exported to spreadsheets. This feature can be used to create questionnaires, registration forms, or any application that need formal communication. In addition, LibreSource 2.2 enforces its advantages. Several bugs have been fixed and the way security is handled has been smoothed. The server is faster now, with a smaller memory footprint. LibreSource 2.2 has a better packaging: installation, configuration, customization and upgrade are now easier than ever. In a few clicks, you can go in production. Source, installer and community: http://www.libresource.org Support from the Artenum Company: http://www.artenum.com/libresource

Threaded Messages (10)

2. What about SourceForge[ Go to top ]

I'm bit confused. Don't we already have SourceForge.org What was the reason to reinvent? Wouldn't it be better to group/collaborate with SourceForge team and introduce additional features there - benefiting existing OS community?
  3. Re: What about SourceForge[ Go to top ]

I'm bit confused. Don't we already have SourceForge.org

What was the reason to reinvent? Wouldn't it be better to group/collaborate with SourceForge team and introduce additional features there - benefiting existing OS community?
    Give that a whirl, see how it goes and let us know.
  4. This looks promising[ Go to top ]

I have been looking for good forge software. Everything I've seen thus far leaves a lot to be desired. I will definitely give this a whirl. -John Mark Hyperic Community Manager http://www.hyperic.com/
  5. My Thoughts[ Go to top ]

1. Why do you require Jonas? I don't want to have to use yet another app server, let alone a dead one 2. Is it possible just to deploy a war file on Tomcat? -John Mark Hyperic Community Manager http://www.hyperic.com/
  6. Re: My Thoughts[ Go to top ]

1. Well we use JOnAS because JOnAS just works flawless in production. Even if the 4.X branch seems dead, JOnAS 5.X is under active development. We plan to port LibreSource from EJB2 to EJB3, and then to support more AS. 2. It is possible just to deploy a EAR file on JOnAS and put 3 conf files into the JOnAS conf directory. Quite easy. What the installer does is to install a stripped version of JOnAS, to configure JOnAS, to install the LibreSource EAR, to configure LibreSource, to create the root user into the LibreSourceDB, and to install and configure Tigase aside.
  7. Hmm[ Go to top ]

Not promising... Installs into C:\program files on windows, but none of the batch files work because of this (spaces in path). Start it up, and it fails to create anything in postgres (specially installed - why it needs to be PGSQL seems a bit limiting to me). Look at the forums, can't see anything much going on. Looks dead to me. Ho hum.
  8. Re: Hmm[ Go to top ]

Not promising...

Installs into C:\program files on windows, but none of the batch files work because of this (spaces in path).

Start it up, and it fails to create anything in postgres (specially installed - why it needs to be PGSQL seems a bit limiting to me).

Look at the forums, can't see anything much going on.

Looks dead to me.

Ho hum.
    Is it using an installer? I never install anything like this into C:\Program Files. But still. As for Forums. Don't mean too much.
  9. hmf[ Go to top ]

It is using an installer. That defaults to C:\program files\..., so I didn't change anything there. So I try instead on a fresh ubuntu install. Part of the problem is the installer gives the illusion of doing something useful - but sadly, there's a typical boatload of obscure config files that you have to set post-"install" (including, bizarrely, the requirement to run some ant scripts); otherwise Jonas wets it pants.
  10. As a team member of the LibreSource project, I'm trying to answer to each of you. To Ruslan sf.net is an free application service provider restricted to open source software projects and sf.net is closed source since 2001. LibreSource is an open source software you can download and use in your organization to host any project you want. This difference matters. To Time We apology for the problems you met with our installer. The C:\Program Files pitfall is stemming from the JOnAS application server start script which does not support spaces in the path. You are absolutely right when you judge it badly because the installer should not default to a bad path. We will report this problem upstream and try to work around. However I would like to emphasize than this pitfall is described both on the download web page and into the introduction text of the installer. The installer was successfully tested on Windows, Mac OS X, Ubuntu, Suse and Debian Etch. Honestly I do not understand what you are talking about when you mention config files. The installer let you with a ready-to-execute, basic but effective LibreSource installation. Of course there are config files around but you do not have to tweak them to run LibreSource. The installer is done for that. This misunderstanding might come from the INSTALL.txt file, which describes the build process to install LibreSource from sources. We will move this entry in another place and create a step-by-step documentation, less confusing I hope. We are taking your feedbacks into account to fix these points. To everyone who tried LibreSource, thank you! We are working hard to give you the best experience.
  11. Installer Updated[ Go to top ]

* the Tigase server script has been fixed. (not mentioned here) * the installer now default to C:/LibreSource on Windows.