Discussions

News: Apache Geronimo Passes Java Enterprise Edition 5.0 TCK 100%

1. Apache Geronimo 2.0-M6-rc1 has passed all tests in the Java EE 5.0 Certification Test Kit. This means that applications that are written to the Java EE platform specifications can be deployed and executed on the Apache Geronimo server. Milestone 6 is the next step in the journey to a full Apache Geronimo 2.0 release; most likely in July. Geronimo is a community oriented development project at the Apache Software Foundation. It is made up of a number of committers and contributors from around the world that bring their unique needs and perspectives to the development process. Apart from the Java EE 5.0 functionality provided by the runtime the server sports enhancements to its console for exploring classloaders, server MBeans as well as the JNDI tree. Other non-Java EE requirements include additional clustering capability as well as the ability to run multiple server instances from a single server image on disk. Next steps for Apache Geronimo 2.0 include additional performance testing, putting the footprint on a diet (target download size for the EE certified server is 35MB) and improving usability of use and deployment of applications. For more information about Apache Geronimo please visit the website at http://geronimo.apache.org. Additional information about the Apache Software Foundation can be found at http://www.apache.org.
  2. Is there any plans to support Web Beans JSR 299 in the near future? IMHO EJB3 and JSF are unbearable without it.
  3. Use Seam[ Go to top ]

Use JBoss Seam in the meantime (http://labs.jboss.com/jbossseam/). The relationship is probably like between JPA and hibernate - one is a standard and the other one is a superset of it.
  4. Seam != Web Beans[ Go to top ]

Maybe creating a standard around Seam was the original idea behind the Web Beans JSR, but that's unlikely to be the result of the JCP for it. Why? Google Guice. Google's Bob Lee has taken a major role on JSR 299, he and Gavin King did a talk together on it at JavaOne this year. They made it clear that the concepts and features of Guice are a major ingredient in Web Beans, and Guice does a lot of things that Seam does not do. So where Hibernate might be a superset of the JPA standard, Seam currently is at best a subset of what we will see in Web Beans. Now I wouldn't be surprised if Seam 3.0 (or whatever future version launches after the JSR is finalized) is a superset of Web Beans, but that's a long ways (6-12 months I would guess) off. So check out Seam, but check out Guice too.
  5. nothing prevent u from using seam in geronimo,it's recommended is jboss(it's their product after all) but it's successfully deployed in glassfish and should run in geronimo,but due to license restrictions apache cannot distribute any patches that make it run on geronimo jsr299 doesnot yet released any draft,i think the apache community or spring will produce a compatible implementation (i hope)
  6. Is there any plans to support Web Beans JSR 299 in the near future? IMHO EJB3 and JSF are unbearable without it.
    IMHO JSF and EJB3 are unbearable even with advertising of JBoss Seam ;-) GWT + Spring + Hibernate/Toplink/JDO/You Favorite ORM = Best choice for AJAX/WEB2.0/You Name IT application developer --Mark
  7. Is there any plans to support Web Beans JSR 299 in the near future? IMHO EJB3 and JSF are unbearable without it.

IMHO JSF and EJB3 are unbearable even with advertising of JBoss Seam ;-)

GWT
    +
    Spring
    +
    Hibernate/Toplink/JDO/You Favorite ORM
    =
    Best choice for AJAX/WEB2.0/You Name IT application developer

--Mark
    Actually having used both, Spring and EJB3 I personally currently prefer EJB3 for its clean and simple annotation based approach. Spring really currently has dropped the ball a little bit (ok spring is much much more) As for the usual webframework flame, I wont comment on this. Btw. Seam is an excellent framework, and it really shows where things have to go to to ease the pain of web development.
  8. Is there any plans to support Web Beans JSR 299 in the near future? IMHO EJB3 and JSF are unbearable without it.

IMHO JSF and EJB3 are unbearable even with advertising of JBoss Seam ;-)

GWT
    +
    Spring
    +
    Hibernate/Toplink/JDO/You Favorite ORM
    =
    Best choice for AJAX/WEB2.0/You Name IT application developer

--Mark

Actually having used both, Spring and EJB3 I personally currently prefer EJB3 for its clean and simple annotation based approach. Spring really currently has dropped the ball a little bit (ok spring is much much more)

If you like annotations that much why not to use Spring 2.0 (with annotations) + Hibernate 3 (with annotations)? Hibernate is much powerful than EJB3 JPA so why people restricte them self using JPA instead of Hibernate, Toplink or KODO?
    As for the usual webframework flame, I wont comment on this. Btw. Seam is an excellent framework, and it really shows where things have to go to to ease the pain of web development. Please enough with SEAM advertisement. “ease the pain of web development
    SEAM reminds me Colossus of Rhodes on clay legs. One clay leg - it can be used ony with JSF (that means you can't run it on your legacy Struts projects) or on your new Google Web Toolkit projects. The other clay leg - it affects your data and logic model. I.e. your business model knows about the view. --Mark
  9. Congrats !![ Go to top ]

Anything delivered by apache group has been historically a great product which is efficient, clean n clear to use and understand, easy to set up..... everything. You guys (and spring guys are the best). Thanks a lot. Keep it up.
  10. Congratulations![ Go to top ]

Looking forward to Geronimo 2.0's final release. Cheers, Adrian Png
  11. And congrats to the other sub-project teams that helped Geronimo implement the JavaEE 5 spec, especially the OpenEJB team.
  12. Does anyone know a hosting service that provides j2ee service at an affordable price? If the cost of hosting a j2ee app is $50+ bucks a month/ $600 dollars a year, the cost of trying out an idea starts to get expensive.
  13. Affordable j2ee hosting[ Go to top ]

http://www.myjavaserver.com/