WSO2 ESB 1.0 Released

Discussions

News: WSO2 ESB 1.0 Released

1. WSO2 ESB 1.0 Released (6 messages)

The WSO2 ESB is the first product to be closely based on the Apache Synapse 1.0 Web services management and integration broker, also being launched today. The Apache Synapse project (http://ws.apache.org/synapse) has built a high-performance, flexible SOA framework around XML and Web services. The Apache Synapse project has released 1.0 of the code base after graduating from the Apache Incubator project at the beginning of the year. The WSO2 ESB 1.0 extends the Apache Synapse XML router and mediation engine with an integrated registry and simple graphical interface that allows administrators to connect, manage and transform Web service interactions across their networks. The WSO2 ESB can instantly virtualize services, enabling users to route, version, load-balance, log, monitor and manage services without changing their application code. With its simple Web-based interface, administrators can get the easy-to-use WSO2 ESB up and running in minutes. The WSO2 ESB’s flexible deployment options support numerous enterprise architectures as well as providing a secure gateway to partners over the Internet. The WSO2 ESB v.1.0 can be downloaded from http://wso2.org/projects/esb/java/

Threaded Messages (6)

2. Re: WSO2 ESB 1.0 Released[ Go to top ]

is this (or it's parent synapse) have the same goals and patterns of use as the Mule ESB actually i used mule and found it a very usefull middleware but its license is somehow irritating so it may be usefull to find an apache licensed alternative
  3. Re: WSO2 ESB 1.0 Released[ Go to top ]

is this (or it's parent synapse) have the same goals and patterns of use as the Mule ESB
    I might be a bit biased, but IMHO Synapse seems to be an ESB based on Axis 2; assuming a WS centric view of the world. Mule and others take the approach of an ESB for integrating legacy stuff, tending to assume a non-WS based environment.

actually i used mule and found it a very usefull middleware but its license is somehow irritating so it may be usefull to find an apache licensed alternative
    Probably the closest project from 30,000 feet that is Apache licensed is Apache Camel. e.g. Here is its support for the Enterprise Integration Patterns James Iona Open Source the Enterprise Way
  4. Re: WSO2 ESB 1.0 Released[ Go to top ]

is this (or it's parent synapse) have the same goals and patterns of use as the Mule ESB
    I might be a bit biased, but IMHO Synapse seems to be an ESB based on Axis 2; assuming a WS centric view of the world. Mule and others take the approach of an ESB for integrating legacy stuff, tending to assume a non-WS based environment.
    Apache Synapse and the WSO2 ESB both are XML and Web services centric. However, they have no limitations or issues integrating with legacy stuff - especially, exposing existing legacy services over WS interfaces. See some of the many examples found here http://wso2.org/project/esb/java/1.0/docs/ESB_Samples.html Synapse/WSO2 ESB could support binary, plain text, POX JMS or XML/HTTP interfaces or mail transport, as well as http/s web services just as easily. Also it will work seamlessly with .net, JMS or other environments. You could simply download the single archive of the Synapse or the WSO2 ESB binary, and it ships with all that you need to learn and experiment with. It even comes with the sample services and clients - and the configurations necessary to execute each of the samples listed above.

actually i used mule and found it a very usefull middleware but its license is somehow irritating so it may be usefull to find an apache licensed alternative

Probably the closest project from 30,000 feet that is Apache licensed is Apache Camel.

e.g. Here is its support for the Enterprise Integration Patterns
    Apache Synapse uses a simple XML configuration model, where the users specify the scenario implemented. (See samples above) The WSO2 ESB ships a simple-to-use AJAX console, that would generate the same configuration graphically. Thus rather than spending time coding, Synapse/WSO2 would help you spend your time where it would be more effective. Finally, you may also find this article that discusses some of the performance aspects of Synapse/WSO2 ESB of interest http://wso2.org/library/1721 asankha
  5. James, Apache Camel (which you created) is undoubtedly a brilliant product. However, its focused on the Java programmer writing mediations in a Java DSL. The WSO2 ESB is the opposite end of the spectrum- we offer a no-programming approach for writing mediations .. using a simple AJAX console (or the underlying XML grammer). Java programmers wishing to write mediators are not the primary audience for the WSO2 ESB. We do of course have a way to drop down to Java code and write mediation logic directly (in fact we could, and should, support Apache Camel for writing mediations thru that) but that's not what we encourage people to do. That should be a last resort .. if the built-in mediators and the built-in extensibility don't cut it. We do support writing mediators in Groovy etc. too.
  6. difference[ Go to top ]

congratulations to the WSO2 team... I have been following Synapse project for a while, and was wondering what does WSO2 ESB offers on top of Synapse? I understand that you have added some admin console (thin ajax based client), of course that makes life a bit easy but besides that is their something thats added to promote Synapse to an ESB?? I read some diffentiation on Service Mix FAQ describing Synapse as a component of ESB but as it looks WSO2 is claiming it to be an ESB or in other words its a limited version ESB with only support for WSDL/POX/SOAP(XML over HTTP) as payload and a set of transports. Is my understand correct?
  7. This is a very interesting product. I was going to start evaluating Mule for use in a new project, but I think it will be very interesting to invest also some time testing WSO2 ESB...