Swing or JSP/Struts application?

Discussions

General J2EE: Swing or JSP/Struts application?

1. Swing or JSP/Struts application? (7 messages)

I'm deploying an application for a public hospital in Argentina and i have doubts about the framework to use. The application will be used in very old computers (pentium I/II or older) but will count with a good server (bought specifically for this use). This limitation of hardware also has made me rethink the election of the framework of persistence. It would be appropriate to use hibernate? I'll appreciate if you can help me with this decisions. Adriana
  2. hi thats all the idea of light-weight internet clients:-) what exactly do you mean by good server? does it have to run also the database? how many hits dou you expect? how many users? what is the quality of the network? that are the questions that have to be discussed. after that, whathever techno you use on a (good??) server, if you pc can browse on the internet, they should be able to use your app. as long as you don't use heavy clients... use maybe a web tech for if your clients are very weak good luck
  3. yull, my server will have to run the database (mySql) and the network more likely will be an internal network without any access to Internet. I can't be sure if the quality of the network is aceptable but i think not. About the number of clients, I do not believe that it exceeds the 10 or 15. I'm sorry for my ignorance, but what do you mean with heavy clients? Which client is considerated heavy? thanks to all for your help.
  4. 10 to 15 is nothing. Use the old machines as LTSP thin clients and run everything on the server. You can completely avoid the web development headache (and maybe get some other headache), reap the benefits of shared memory, reduce maintenance costs, etc.
  5. I'm sorry for my ignorance, but what do you mean with heavy clients? Which client is considerated heavy.
    Heavy Client= Swing Thin Client = web browser. i think making a web application, with just 10-15 users...ur box will be able to handle it. MySQL, Tomcat(maybe Apahce HTTP is u really want it..) with "Spring/Hibernate/Struts".
  6. Swing App or Web App[ Go to top ]

I agree with Jeryl. Based on your info, Swing client doesn't seem appropriate especially the memory limitations. Go for a web application. I would strongly suggest using spring. It is a light weight framework, has steadily grown in popularity and has been adopted in a wide range projects. Keep it simple.
  7. I agree with yull: You should answer all these questions first... A web app surely fits better, but remind that "very old computers" also often mean "very old browsers". So think twice before you use any Javascript.
    This limitation of hardware also has made me rethink the election of the framework of persistence.
    What was your first idea ? If you have a good server, I guess the choice of a persistence framework is not so decisive in terms of performance(but again how many hits do you expect?). However you could always consider ORM tools vs JDBC vs "old fashioned" stored procedures in your case... If you choose Hibernate, performance also depends on how efficiently you use it: lazy loading, caching,...
  8. I think you should create web-application. Don't mind on old browsers. Just install last FireFox on this clients. I suggest Pentium I/II it's Windows 95/98. So FF is good solution. Even after finishing development process. It's easier to fix solutions only inside web-server, and you don't need to disturb about client changes.