Discussions

Blogs: Java Persistence API roundup : Open(JPA), TopLink and Hibernate

1. As the newest Java EE persistence API gains traction, its various implementations are already being tested in the trenches, this blogger's personal experience includes using OpenJPA, TopLink JPA and Hibernate JPA. He goes onto say :
    So, depending on where you're going to be deploying to, I'd offer the following advice (with the proviso that this advice is only based on observations and not hard fact): * lightweight servlet container like tomcat: maybe avoid OpenJPA and Toplink until the javaagent weavers are no longer necessary, try Hibernate (or Kodo if it's a commercial application) * EJB 3 container: The weaver concerns do not apply, OpenJPA and Toplink should be fine in these environments
    You can read the rest of Dave's blog posts: Tried using OpenJPA and And now ... Hibernate's JPA What is your personal experience using the Java Persistence API ?

Threaded Messages (1)

2. wow...[ Go to top ]

Heya Daniel, Okay, I wrote that blog entry in the last 24 hours and in that time the blog has been: 1.) Picked up by search engines 2.) Found by someone interested (we're a pretty niche market of people so that's an achievement in and of itself) 3.) Put on TSS 4.) Had as many hits since going on the TSS as it's entire life You know, I can't help but be impressed at how fast pull based knowledge can propagate nowadays with good search engines. Just one note to add; I haven't actually used Kodo on Tomcat so can't verify whether it needs a special weaver too. If it does, it could also suffer from IllegalAccessError which I found to be a barrier. If it doesn't need a weaver, it's probably as usable as Hibernate. I guess I'd listed Kodo since after Toplink and OpenJPA, reading the documentation gave the impression of a stable implementation of JPA... and then I remembered it's a commercial tool so I couldn't use it for AONS II which is Open Source. Cheers, David Levy (aka the archetypal trenches developer, heh)