Discussions

News: Web Tools Platform 2.0 released

1. Web Tools Platform 2.0 released (17 messages)

Eclipse Web Tools Platform 2.0 is available for immediate download and can also be installed as part of Europa. This major update delivers its key goals of improved quality, adopter readiness, harmony with other Eclipse projects, and many new features for end users. Eclipse developers will be particularly pleased with the debut of major features and specification updates to EJB3 JPA, JSP 2.0, JSF 1.2, Axis2 Web Services, server support, and source editing. This release also introduces Java EE 5 project support.

Threaded Messages (17)

2. JSP 2.0?[ Go to top ]

Is it an error? No JSP 2.1 support?
  3. Re: JSP 2.0?[ Go to top ]

Give them a break. They just finished adding JSP 2.0 support. (Tag files were not supported until this release)
  4. Re: JSP 2.0?[ Go to top ]

Thanks. WTP is working hard, and is looking for help! The new and noteworthy may help everyone find out specifics of what's been introduced in the 2.0 release. http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/releases/2.0/newandnoteworthy/main.php Please contintue to post your feedback, and keep the comments coming! -Cheers, Pieter (BEA Systems)
  5. totally broken for me[ Go to top ]

Please contintue to post your feedback, and keep the comments coming!
    Well, i'm an IDEA guy, but i gave it a try. For me, it was unusable. 1) I was not able to figure out how to configure which files are published to server (the 'content directory'). Yes, the initial configuration of 'Dynamic Web Application' asked for single directory, but after the creation of the project i didn't found any way for changing this, or adding more directories to be published? 2) It seems that normal user libraries didn't get published, so i had to use 'web app library', which in turn didn't have any configuration options about the location of libraries (i had my libs under /lib, and using subdirectories)? Together 1) and 2) required significant changes to project structure, which would not be an option in real project. Regardles, i proceeded to test the publishing. With default settings the publishing was succesful, and the result was 100% indentical file structure, and with exactly same byte size, compared to what i publish with IDEA or Ant. But it didn't work. I got errors about 'Caused by: javax.persistence.PersistenceException: No Persistence provider for EntityManager named swfPersistenceUnit'. So, seems that something in your way of telling Tomcat (6.0, Mac Os X 10.4.9 btw) that the app should be run from under .metadata is broken. To work around this, i tried to change the configuration so that the project would run from tomcat's normal webapps dir, but now the publishing started failing with 'Could not replace with temp file .../.metadata/.../tmp123123.class.'. I was running eclipse under my normal account, and made sure that the tomcat directory had write permissions. Pieter, could you log these issues in your bug tracker for me? Thanks, Henri Karapuu
  6. Re: JSP 2.0?[ Go to top ]

Is it an error? No JSP 2.1 support?
    Considering that JSP 2.1 was mostly about alignment with JSF and 'behind the scenes' things i don't think the missing 0.1 is going to be a big deal?
  7. Re: JSP 2.0?[ Go to top ]

Get a real approach for views already. JSPs are good for one thing and one thing only: demos. And you probably should use Groovy for that anyway.
  8. WTP still focus on the web developement? where the Java EE 5 support in eclipse.
  9. Still buggy as hell[ Go to top ]

The JSP-editor is still buggy as hell. Autocomplete doesn't work if you have several includes with includes, and errors in the source code (which in fact isn't errors) are reported. Linking to a tag-lib which you have defined in a source-dependency to your project also seems like a problem . I can't belive they've not been able to make a proper JSP-editor yet.
  10. Re: Better JSP editor[ Go to top ]

The JSP-editor is still buggy as hell... I can't belive they've not been able to make a proper JSP-editor yet.
    Have you considered using Adobe Dreamweaver for JSP editing? Many users appreciate having a dedicated Web development tool in addition to a standard Java IDE. Ian JSFToolbox for Dreamweaver http://www.jsftoolbox.com
  11. Re: Still buggy as hell[ Go to top ]

The JSP-editor is still buggy as hell.
    It sure sounds like you'd like to see the editor (and the infrastructure around it) improved. It would be a great help if you could report each of these problems you're running into with concrete and detailed steps to help us reproduce them, especially with sample projects illustrating them running properly on a server but appearing broken in the editors. At least one of them sounds like a previously reported limitation, bug 183756: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=183756 I know registering a Bugzilla account can be a lot to ask, but it's the best way to let the developers know what you think needs changing.
  12. Maven Support?[ Go to top ]

I can't wait and am quite excited. I have to say that the WTP 1.5 launcher was one of the buggiest applications I've ever used. Because I could never depend on WTP and am a maven user, I've gotten quite familiar with jetty. I've only used WTP2 for a few hours and see quite a few improvements and no publishing failures yet with Europa/WTP2. The spell checking is desperately needed and I am quite embarrassed looking at my old code comments. I can't wait for WTP2 support in maven2. I assume it's not ready yet? I already notice that WTP2 is warning me about my maven dependencies. That's a bit frustrating, but quite tolerable if the launcher is stable.
  13. Installing...[ Go to top ]

I just had a pain in the ... to download and install each of this eclipse build/plugins ultimately, right now I've downloaded all the files at the WTP page and can't make the thing work. Is it me or this thing should be a lot more simpler and straightfoward ? I mean , how a about a big zip with a link saying: "click here and be happy"... or maybe I'll stick to Netbeans this time...
  14. Re: Installing...[ Go to top ]

They use to have "Eclipse IDE for JEE Developers" in the Eclipse Downloads page right in between "Eclipse IDE for Java Developers" and "Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers" but they suddenly pull it of friday or saturday. Well I guest they realized it was so much buggy, they decided they couldn't leave it there.
  15. Eclipse for JEE developers[ Go to top ]

http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/moreinfo/jee.php
  16. Re: Installing...[ Go to top ]

I just had a pain in the ... to download and install each of this eclipse build/plugins ultimately, right now I've downloaded all the files at the WTP page and can't make the thing work. Is it me or this thing should be a lot more simpler and straightfoward ? I mean , how a about a big zip with a link saying: "click here and be happy"... or maybe I'll stick to Netbeans this time...
    You can download all in ones here: http://europa-mirror1.eclipse.org/webtools/downloads/drops/R2.0/R-2.0-200706260303/
  17. Facelets support?[ Go to top ]

Does exists any usable eclispe plugin which supports Facelets (*.Xhtml files, with JSF and Facelets tags ) code assits?
  18. Re: Facelets support?[ Go to top ]

Does exists any usable eclispe plugin which supports Facelets (*.Xhtml files, with JSF and Facelets tags ) code assits?
    Exadel and MyEclipse...