Java ME Mobile Phone Applications - The Good, the Bad & the Ugly

Discussions

News: Java ME Mobile Phone Applications - The Good, the Bad & the Ugly

1. Shine Technologies Senior Developer Kon Katsaros has written an article entitled ‘Java ME Mobile Phone Applications - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly’. Inspired by the popular spaghetti western, he covers the highs and lows of developing real-world mobile phones applications using Java ME. Kon's a big fan of JME, citing portability, tool support and ease-of-deployment as some of the good things about it. However, he concedes that it also has a bad side: multiple API versions across phones, API fragmentation, difficult network configuration and the surprising difficulty of determining something as simple as a phone's number. And then there are the facets of JME that he classifies as 'ugly' - nuisances, but not necessarily show-stoppers. These include the pain of ensuring certificates work across phones (be they for code-signing or HTTPS), carriers who arbitrarily lock out phone functionality, and the costly process of verification. In many cases Kon is able to provide advice on how to negotiate the bad and the ugly aspects of JME. And he concludes that whilst it does have its weaknesses, the positives far outweigh the negatives. Do you share Kon's cautious optimism for Java ME? [Editor's note: Why is this appropriate for TSS? Because phones, as they gain capability, are certainly part of the "enterprise" - who here wouldn't be interested in delivering content to the iPhone? - and they're likely to become more important as data collection and delivery mechanisms.]
  2. Thanks. Well done.
  3. I am developing an application for mobiles phones, www.minicontacts.com (primary language spanish..), and I am convinced that J2ME is the best development platform. I believe that very good applications can be done that work connected and disconnected, and the market of mobile devices is much more important that the market of the PC (think the world about one or two years..) I think that the great error of the Apple/IPhone was not to include J2ME. Surely Nokia and Motorola are thanked :-).