Discussions

News: BEA Workshop 10.1 fully integrates Workshop Studio

1. The integrated Workshop 10.1 is here! BEA Workshop for WebLogic 10.1 fully integrates all the features from the award winning BEA Workshop Studio, introducing lots of new features. See Chris Hogue and Bill Roth's blog for an overview, and what's new, respectively. Downloads are available now:Dive into Workshop:

Threaded Messages (15)

2. How about Mac OS X support?[ Go to top ]

So, when are you going to add Mac OS X support? Mac has become a very common development environment in many companies, and it seems kind of weird that you are throwing away such a large market segment. Specially when considering that adding support for Mac OS X would not probably require much work. /Henri Karapuu
  3. we'd LOVE to add it. Are you working for a BEA customer by any chance?
  4. we'd LOVE to add it. Are you working for a BEA customer by any chance?
    Not at the moment, i'm consultant and just came back from 6 month holiday after my previous gig. However, if your question is related to whether i have access to BEA products, the answer is that i have a Workshop Studio subscription. And i would be more than happy to help if there is anything i can do for the mac porting effort. /Henri Karapuu
  5. I work for a BEA customer and would like OS X support! :) Randy Burgess
  6. BEA Workshop[ Go to top ]

I know it's not popular to like any tools that aren't just fancy graphical versions of emacs (Eclipse, IDEA, and whatever that one is called that Sun has), but I'm glad to see that there are still investments going on in tools that try to bring the art and science of software development up at least one notch above "coding". Kudos! Congrats, Bill and team. Out of curiosity, are there any plans for Spring web flow support or Seam support? Peace, Cameron Purdy Oracle Coherence: The Java Data Grid
  7. Re: BEA Workshop[ Go to top ]

... and whatever that one is called that Sun has ...
    You mean JDeveloper?
  8. Re: BEA Workshop[ Go to top ]

... and whatever that one is called that Sun has ...
    You mean JDeveloper?
    No, I'm just continuing my bad habit of teasing about NetBeans, which is Sun's IDE. The one you mentioned, JDeveloper, is Oracle's IDE that is built originally on JBuilder. It too has some higher level tools too (e.g. BPEL support, modeling, etc.) Some day, we'll get back "up" to where we were in the early 90s, when tools made it possible for programmers to build simple applications simply. Maybe some day we'll even get to the point where even powerful applications will be able to be built relatively simply :) Peace, Cameron Purdy Oracle Coherence: The Java Data Grid
  9. Re: BEA Workshop[ Go to top ]

Some day, we'll get back "up" to where we were in the early 90s, when tools made it possible for programmers to build simple applications simply.

Maybe some day we'll even get to the point where even powerful applications will be able to be built relatively simply :)
    Ummm, Cameron, don't you work for Oracle now? You probably shouldn't mention simplicity in front of people who use Oracle's J2EE offerings :-).
  10. Re: BEA Workshop[ Go to top ]

No, I'm just continuing my bad habit of teasing about NetBeans, which is Sun's IDE.
    Sorry, was just teasing Oracle's emacs. ;-)
    Some day, we'll get back "up" to where we were in the early 90s, when tools made it possible for programmers to build simple applications simply.
    Visual Basic never disapeared and it's still a great tool... :-(
    Maybe some day we'll even get to the point where even powerful applications will be able to be built relatively simply :)
    +1
  11. Re: BEA Workshop[ Go to top ]

Kudos! Congrats, Bill and team.

Out of curiosity, are there any plans for Spring web flow support or Seam support?
    Sign me up for Spring web flow support also. It's the one thing missing from Workshop that I found when we tried it as an alternative to RAD. Inclusion of this would be very much appreciated. Andrew p.s. is it just me, or are eclipse plugins so very version and environment sensitive that getting a disparate, independently developed set working on a single eclipse version is an almost impossible task? (came after trying to integrate a version of Spring IDE with WOrkshop)
  12. Re: BEA Workshop[ Go to top ]

It's the one thing missing from Workshop that I found when we tried it as an alternative to RAD. Inclusion of this would be very much appreciated.
    Never met a person who would use BEA Workshop for IBM Websphere!?
    is it just me, or are eclipse plugins so very version and environment sensitive that getting a disparate, independently developed set working on a single eclipse version is an almost impossible task?
    +1 Therefore I like EasyEclipse: http://www.easyeclipse.org
  13. Re: BEA Workshop[ Go to top ]

Never met a person who would use BEA Workshop for IBM Websphere!?
    RAD is so painful, I'm actively looking for an alternative. What do they put in that 5.5gb download? I can't even understand how packaging coordination of such a large app can be achieved. Kudos for that at least :-) The size of this even dwarfs the largest telco apps I've worked on, and that's saying something! Andrew
  14. Re: BEA Workshop[ Go to top ]

RAD is so painful, I'm actively looking for an alternative. What do they put in that 5.5gb download? I can't even understand how packaging coordination of such a large app can be achieved. Kudos for that at least :-) The size of this even dwarfs the largest telco apps I've worked on, and that's saying something!
    LOL :-D
  15. Re: BEA Workshop[ Go to top ]

Nice to hear this from what is now part of a competing IDE vendor (Oracle)...;-) I just installed the new workshop and also work for BEA right now, so while Seam (JBoss, also another vendor competing in most areas with BEA) is not directly supported, Spring sure is. There are parts of SpringIDE included with Workshop 10.1 though, it does not seem to include all of its most recent suite. While DAO and ORM functionality are supported for Spring, the Web Flow is at least not there out of the box. Taking Workshop already has the option for either using Struts or JSF for web flow, a Spring based alternative is though not far to imagine for future releases. Also because Spring is heavily used in other products and there are projects in collaboration with the Spring Framework.
  16. Facelets support[ Go to top ]

I applaud this release, and I've been very fond of Workshop Studio since the M7 days. Great product. But where's the Facelets' support? To me, that's a glaring omission. It actually eliminates the choice of the tool for some JSF projects...Quite a few of my clients are interested in Facelets, and Workshop just isn't an option if you go down that path... ~~~ Kito D. Mann - Author, JavaServer Faces in Action http://www.virtua.com - JSF/Java EE consulting, training, and mentoring http://www.JSFCentral.com - JavaServer Faces FAQ, news, and info