Overhead of App Server vs Standalone based SOA products

Discussions

Performance and scalability: Overhead of App Server vs Standalone based SOA products

1. Hi there! Currently I'm involved in a project where a SOA Architecture is being defined. At this moment, We have had presentations of IBM, BEA, TIBCO, SONIC and SUN. I have noticed that 3 of them are App Server Based and that Sonic and tibco can run in a standalone way. Do you if this is an important fact that may affect the performance of the platforms? Should I see the App Server just as a commodity or does it provides me of a value added that standalone based products do not have?
  2. Hi Victor I've written a blog on High Performance SOA which you may find relevant to your evaluation.
    What should be the platform for High Performance SOA? There are several emerging frameworks, such as OSGI and Mule, that provide an alternative SOA approach. What is common to these frameworks is the fact that they are POJO-driven, lightweight and highly efficient in terms of performance and footprint. It is therefore not surprising that these frameworks are gaining momentum and are becoming de-facto standards for building high-performance SOA applications. While this initial set of platforms already exists, I think that we still lack the top-down view that Jason was referring to. That is where Space-Based Architecture fits in. In the following reference SBA and SOA I tried to describe how SBA fits into the SOA world as a pattern for turning stateful-tier-based-applications into linearly scalable services. In his presentation, Scalable SOA, GigaSpaces VP R&D Guy Nirpaz covers at depth how you can use Space Based Architecture combined with Spring and potentially OSGi to bridge this gap and turn your existing tier-based stateful applications into linearly scalable services.
    You can also get a *free* JMS implementation using our Community Edition. HTH Nati S. GigaSpaces Write Once Scale Anywhere
  3. Currently I'm involved in a project where a SOA Architecture is being defined. At this moment, We have had presentations of IBM, BEA, TIBCO, SONIC and SUN. I have noticed that 3 of them are App Server Based and that Sonic and tibco can run in a standalone way. Do you if this is an important fact that may affect the performance of the platforms? Should I see the App Server just as a commodity or does it provides me of a value added that standalone based products do not have?
    Sonic and Tibco are two of the major messaging vendors. (By most measurements, IBM and Tibco are the largest two, and Sonic is a distant third.) The "stand alone" nature that you mentioned is a reflection of the fact that their solutions are built around a messaging infrastructure. The real question is what you are looking for in an "SOA Architecture", and whether the products you are looking at provide it. Are you looking for a web services infrastructure? An ESB? There are many things that vendors will pitch as being "SOA" -- but not all of them are going to be what you are actually looking for, and very few of them will be what you actually need ;-) That said, the list of vendors you gave contains all good vendors. For an ESB-centric view of SOA, you will likely gravitate toward Tibco or Sonic. For an application server centric view of SOA, IBM or BEA. (They all have products that run the entire gamut of the technology spectrum.) Peace, Cameron Purdy Oracle Coherence: The Java Data Grid