Oracle Coherence 3.3 released

Discussions

News: Oracle Coherence 3.3 released

1. Oracle Coherence 3.3 released (13 messages)

Oracle has released Oracle Coherence 3.3, an in-memory data grid and the latest hot-pluggable component of Oracle Fusion Middleware. In addition to being branded as Oracle rather than Tangosol, this release features enhanced performance, Quality-of-Service and clustering capabilities, tighter integration with Oracle Fusion Middleware and support for Microsoft’s .NET Framework. To satisfy the growing demand for XTP capabilities, Oracle rapidly tightened the integration of Oracle Coherence with components of Oracle Fusion Middleware and focused on four specific enhancements related to XTP and high-performance applications:
    • Availability – The introduction of Deterministic Request Execution features;
    • Clustering – Delivery of self-tuning communication capabilities, including both high-performance packet bundling and dynamic flow control;
    • Performance – Enhanced multi-core support for the latest commodity server hardware; and
    • Platform Support – Expanded to include Java SE version 6, and a new revision of Oracle Coherence for the Microsoft .NET Platform.
    Developers can easily take advantage of Oracle Coherence features using the standard Java collections API to access and modify data, and use the standard JavaBean event model to receive data change notifications. Functionality such as HTTP Session Management is available out-of-the-box for applications. A free evaluation version of Oracle Coherence is available - terms, conditions, and restrictions apply.
  2. Well, I'll put in a word. Even though most of the work for 3.3 release has been done in Tangosol it's great to see a great product continue to advance under new and very different corporate umbrella. Sincerely, wishing all the best. Nikita Ivanov, www.gridgain.org
  3. If not freely available it will remain marginal such as GigaSpaces. People will simply play around with Terracotta instead. Regards, Oliver
  4. Coherence is... "marginal?"
  5. Coherence is... "marginal?"
    Marginal all the way to the bank! (and a few round trips) ;) Just think what kind of bike Cameron could have gotten if it was more than "marginal" - http://www.jroller.com/cpurdy/entry/new_ride. LOL.
  6. I can't see that at all. My previous employer and my current one both use coherence. We're running at least 5 projects I'm aware of. Two friends of mine at two other companies are also using it. Here in London Coherence has got lots of traction and it's growing. Regards, Max
  7. Well, to play around, Terracotta might be enough. Coherence is usually used for more serious purposes than just playing around :-)
  8. If not freely available it will remain marginal such as GigaSpaces.
    I'm not really sure that Coherence is marginal at all. It depends on your point of view (as it is with so many things). If you would compare the situation with a DBMS, you'll find that lots of people are using the free PostgreSQL DBMS, but still lots of other people are using the rather expensive Oracle DBMS. As everyone knows, Oracle has some features that PostGreSQL probably won't have for years to come (parallel execution of a single query for instance). It's the same with Coherence really. Sure, you can use Jboss Cache sometimes, perhaps in combination with Memcached or Terracotta, but for the real serious stuff most people would agree that Coherence still has the edge.
  9. If not freely available it will remain marginal such as GigaSpaces. People will simply play around with Terracotta instead.

Regards, Oliver
    Oliver If your considering more then 100 customers in the most mission critical systems marginal then i don't know what is marginal. In any case if your just want to play around you can use our free Community Edition, Combined with OpenSpaces and Spring gives you pretty decent framework with Local distributed cache (Hub n Spoke), as well as JMS support. All together it provides a full Event Driven development framework. If you're a startup you can get the full value of our product (not just the community edition) for Free, expect an announcement of our startup program soon. HTH Nati S. GigaSpaces Write Once Scale Anywhere
  10. If not freely available it will remain marginal such as GigaSpaces. People will simply play around with Terracotta instead.
    Congratulations! You managed to disrespect three products with one post ;-) .. first, you diss Coherence as marginal, throw Gigaspaces under the same bus, and call Terracotta a toy. For what it's worth, they are three totally different products addressing three different technical problems. Try to use one to replace another, and you'll be in a world of hurt. Coherence is a Data Grid focused on transactional information management and parallel processing/aggregation. Gigaspaces uses Jini+Javaspaces to proffer services with distributed coordination via master/worker etc. Terracotta is an AOP client to -- as seamlessly as possible -- wire into a "Java object state server" (what they call Network Attached Memory). I'm can't speak for the other two vendors, but I can tell you that we don't have any desire to copy what either one of them does. I'm not sure what you mean by "marginal", since we are used by most of the major brand name web sites, banks and financial institutions, travel companies, logistics companies, etc., etc., etc. We're used as a component in products from many of the big-name software vendors. Hundreds of new production deployments of Coherence occur every month. If that is marginal, I'll take marginal any day, since it's a far greater success than I ever personally imagined. Peace, Cameron Purdy Oracle Coherence: The Java Data Grid
  11. For what it's worth, they are three totally different products addressing three different technical problems. Try to use one to replace another, and you'll be in a world of hurt. Coherence is a Data Grid focused on transactional information management and parallel processing/aggregation. Gigaspaces uses Jini+Javaspaces to proffer services with distributed coordination via master/worker etc. Terracotta is an AOP client to -- as seamlessly as possible -- wire into a "Java object state server" (what they call Network Attached Memory). I'm can't speak for the other two vendors, but I can tell you that we don't have any desire to copy what either one of them does.
    It seems all three aims to improve scalability by distributing load into different servers. Coherence uses parallel processing, Gigaspaces and Teracotta use master/worker. I would suppose all three can handle transactional requirements. Is it possible to provide us with use case examples that will clearly show when to use Coherence, or Gigaspaces, or Terracotta?
  12. Marginality of things[ Go to top ]

Congratulations! You managed to disrespect three products with one post ;-) .. first, you diss Coherence as marginal, throw Gigaspaces under the same bus, and call Terracotta a toy.
    Playing around is common slang for looking into some system, examine it. This does not mean that some system is considered a toy. I did not say Coherence is marginal. I said it would become marginal if it were sold for high licensing costs. Obviously, I was wrong as to how much it is being used in practice. Mea culpa. GigaSpace is a full-blown distributed processing system and in that way not marginal. In my opinion the take/put-metaphor is very intrusive and can also not be easily hidden. I would consider this a major problem compared to other distributed systems that are much more transparent. I admit not having expressed this in my previous post more clearly. Regards, Oliver
  13. Re: Marginality of things[ Go to top ]

In my opinion the take/put-metaphor is very intrusive and can also not be easily hidden. I would consider this a major problem compared to other distributed systems that are much more transparent.
    Oliver Have you looked in our product recently? If you haven't i would suggest that you take a look at: OpenSpaces our Spring based abstraction designed to simplify the development of Event Driven Architecture. Remoting Abstraction that enables transparent distributed invocation mechanism on POJO services using Spring Remoting. Map which provides a Map based compliant abstraction for simple caching purposes. Space Based JMS which provides JMS facade on top of space. It also provides the ability for users to send messages through JMS and read them through the space something that becomes common practice to enable interoperability with external systems. JDBC which enables you to plug-in and use GigaSpaces through any JDBC complaint environment. As you can see GigaSpaces provides a fairly rich set of interfaces which we refer to as Virtual Middleware stack. I hope that you realize by now that you couldn't be more wrong with your above statement. Nati S. GigaSpaces Write Once Scale Anywhere
  14. Re: Marginality of things[ Go to top ]

Congratulations! You managed to disrespect three products with one post ;-) .. first, you diss Coherence as marginal, throw Gigaspaces under the same bus, and call Terracotta a toy.

Playing around is common slang for looking into some system, examine it. This does not mean that some system is considered a toy.
    Well, it was very easy to misunderstand your intended meaning. As for looking around (i.e. to use it to try things out and not to use it in production), you can freely download Coherence (you need a development license agreement, which I expect is still free). BR, Robert