OpenID and Crowd SSO: TheServerSide Video Tech Brief

Discussions

News: OpenID and Crowd SSO: TheServerSide Video Tech Brief

1. OpenID is a decentralized single sign-on system that allows web users to authenticate once, then share credentials among all participating servers or websites via a unique URL. This saves users from remembering authentication tokens like user ID or password. Once a user registers and authenticates against a given site, or identity provider, partnering websites can use OpenID to confirm the user's digital identity without additional logons. Justen Stepka is the tech lead for Atlassian Crowd. He talks about the basics of OpenID. (Can't watch the video? Click here.) According to the OpenID website, nobody should own the project, and nobody is planning on making any money off it, unlike Microsoft's Passport or the Liberty Alliance. Their goal is to release the full project under the most liberal licenses possible to benefit the Internet community at large. Watch other Tech Briefs

Threaded Messages (2)

2. I must be dumb[ Go to top ]

I could not determine which license they are planing to release this under?
  3. Re: I must be dumb[ Go to top ]

I could not determine which license they are planing to release this under?
    Not at all - if you go through the site there are a number of open-source licenses in play. There is no single license; rather, the OpenID guys are looking at bringing various projects under their umbrella and ensuring that their respective licenses are developer- and business-friendly. The big news is a commitment from all the parties to not patent any of them, nor let anyone try to appropriate the IP and patent it without OpenID's consent. Cheers, E