MyEclipse 6.0 Released - Spring/JPA Integration, Java 6, Europa

Discussions

News: MyEclipse 6.0 Released - Spring/JPA Integration, Java 6, Europa

1. Genuitec has announced the release of the commercial MyEclipse 6.0, offering advanced features and integration for Spring and Java Persistence Architecture (JPA) development. This Eclipse plugin set allows users to create entity managers and transaction manager beans, generate entities and DOA and much more through the cross-capabilities bridge created by MyEclipse. MyEclipse 6.0 includes the following enhancements over previous releases:
    • Platform and Installation Support
      • Eclipse 3.3/Europa 1.0 compatible
      • Java 5 & Java 6 support
      • Windows (XP, Vista), Linux, Mac
    • Java EE 5 & Spring Feature Improvements
      • EJB3 improved project flexibility, bean generation from DB schema
      • JPA
        • Project actions to generate Entities and DAOs from DB schema
        • Automatically maintains entity classes in persistence.xml
        • Improved JPA project capabilities configuration
        • Improved documentation and examples
      • Spring 2.0 upgrade with enhanced configuration and management
      • Hibernate upgrade
      • Advanced Spring-JPA Integration
        • JPA-Spring project configuration creates:
          • Spring EntityManagerFactory and JpaTransactionManager beans
          • annotation-driven configuration
        • JPA Entity and DAO generated by reverse engineering from DB schema
        • Updated documentation and examples
    • AJAX Development & Testing
      • Apple Macintosh Support – all AJAX features now on Mac
      • Improved AJAX Web Browser
      • Improved AJAX Tools
        • DOM Inspector – added filter/search support
        • DOM Source view – real-time status and dynamic source editing
        • Improved JavaScript Console
        • New DOM Watcher View
        • New CSS Viewer
        • New JavaScript View
        • New DOM Compare View
      • Enhanced JavaScript Debugging
        • JavaScript Scripts Inspector - added support dynamic resource types
        • Suspend On conditions: (debugger keyword, exceptions, errors, startup)
        • Launch configurations now support project files and URLs
        • Launch configurations can be saved in projects
    • RAD Web Development
      • Struts – 1.3 support with full libraries/configuration
      • Facelets
        • Extended JSF Designer to support the for editing content-assist and validation.
    • Matisse4MyEclipse Visual Swing Designer
      • Matisse4MyEclipse Visual Swing Designer can now be installed in any Eclipse 3.3 instance without the full MyEclipse IDE Core. Get the most popular and advanced Swing Designer for Eclipse in a light-weight plugin footprint.
    • Rapid Java EE Deployment and Testing
      • Automated project deployment and launch services
        • Debug On MyEclipse Server & Run On MyEclipse Server
          • Automatically deploys project and launches server in specified debug or run modes
          • Automatically stops a running server before deployment
          • Automatically redeploys an existing application deployment
      • Sun Glassfish V2 new deployment/reloads
      • MyEclipse Tomcat 6 Server – local integration, launches in one second
      • MyEclipse Derby Server
        • Automatically launch server on JDBC connection
        • Configurable startup options
    • MyEclipse Learning Center (Help & Educational Material)
      • Integrated example Java EE source code projects repository
      • One-Click install of MyEclipse Java EE example projects
  2. Congrats on this new release! :) For beginners the "Rapid Java EE Deployment and Testing" feature is really nice. I heard lots of absolute beginners always complaining that setting up a Java EE project takes so much effort compared to PHP. They have to install Java, Eclipse, MyEclipse, Tomcat, some DB, figure out what the web.xml should contain and in what directory it should be, etc. (of course, with PHP they also have to install Apache, the PHP interpreter and MySQL, but for some strange reason that never seems to count) With this new MyEclipse feature however, absolute beginners can just download the all-in-one installer, lets the wizard create a new web project and instantly run it. Very nice! Sadly there are also some downsides, although it's not really the fault of MyEclipse. The JSP and JSF editors are -far- below par. After so much time, the JSF editor still doesn't recognize basic things like dynamic attributes in taglib tags or the variable introduced by a standard JSF tag like f:loadBundle. Also, functionality like ctrl-clicking on a managed bean to bring you to its definition is painfully absent. Auto-completion of EL expressions works though, so the editor -is- EL aware. Like I said, this isn't the fault of MyEclipse since they have to rely on WTP. Implementing those features I mentioned above would be a waste of effort if WTP implements them later on. I wonder though if Genuitec can't cooperate in some way with the WTP team; implement the missing features and donate these back to the WTP project.
  3. Arjan, thanks for identifying enhancement features for the Visual JSF editor. To put your "disappointment" into perspective, the MyEclipse visual web editors are extremely powerful editors with WYSIWYG support and provide developers a productivity experience. Considering that we consistently improve these editor with each release, e.g., we release approx 4-6 updates/yr, you can look forward to further advancements in the near future. Looking at the big picture of this major release, MyEclipse 6.0 is now on Eclipse 3.3 with a 100+ new features. As the feature list indicates they range from AJAX features to innovative Spring-JPA support, include a new 1-click Java EE app launcher and an all new open-source Examples On-Demand facility. Examples On-Demand is a new portal that Genuitec is developing for hosting how-to Java EE and related technology example projects that run in MyEclipse with zero setup/config and can be checked out using a preconfigured MyEclipse 6.0 CVS connector. Also those interested in using NetBeans Matisse on Eclipse can now install Matisse4MyEclipse into any Eclipse 3.3 SDK without preinstallation of the full MyEclipse IDE. This is the first in a series of upcoming releases that will improve the modularity of MyEclipse for better profile based packaging and end-user customization. Lastly I'm pleased that MyEclipse pricing is still the same $29.95 for the Std subscription and $49.95 for the Pro subscription including unlimited support. Few products can claim their price as a user-centered feature, except those trying to upsell you to an expensive server or support agreement. We can make the claim as we have never meddled with pricing programs or increased our product prices since their first releases 4 and 2 years ago respectively. Regards, Wayne Parrott VP, Product Development Genuitec,LLC
  4. Where's the maven support?[ Go to top ]

I feel like a broken record saying this over and over, but seeing Wayne is reading this, maybe we'll get some results. When they support maven, every developer in my company will want to buy a copy. You can't argue with the price or value, especially if they offer a launcher that actually works (unlike WTP, who's tomcat launcher fails so frequently I cannot use it). The price is great, I'm also very happy they support Linux. Maven support seems like low-hanging fruit. Once I can use all of the features within maven, I think MyEclipse would be a very compelling product for maven users.
  5. Re: Where's the maven support?[ Go to top ]

I feel like a broken record saying this over and over, but seeing Wayne is reading this, maybe we'll get some results.

When they support maven, every developer in my company will want to buy a copy. You can't argue with the price or value, especially if they offer a launcher that actually works (unlike WTP, who's tomcat launcher fails so frequently I cannot use it).

The price is great, I'm also very happy they support Linux. Maven support seems like low-hanging fruit. Once I can use all of the features within maven, I think MyEclipse would be a very compelling product for maven users.
    Would there anything speaking against adding the already existing eclipse maven plugin to your installations? After all the core still is eclipse. I usually add subversive and a bunch of other plugins to my install.
  6. Good and Bad[ Go to top ]

Just to air out the laundry, MyEclipse does have some issues where things aren't clear when generating classes in say Hibernate, and sometimes it doesn't do what it should. However there are sooooo many features and supported tools, and the tools are exceptionally well done. At the price, there is no reason why anyone wouldn't just snag a copy of it. I love and own a license to IDEA which I used for most of my coding, but I use MyEclipse to build items like pages and hibernate/spring configs. It definately gets you moving fast. Oh yea, the server support is pretty stellar as well. Congrats on the release guys. Going to download now. :)
  7. Hey does any body provide download link for MyEclipse 6.0. I've tried in MyEclipseide.com but I couldn't found. Thanks, BNB