Discussions

Blogs: Moving to NetBeans from Eclipse

1. Moving to NetBeans from Eclipse (5 messages)

Scott Carpenter writes about his Eclipse to NetBeans migration experience, including his prior motivation on using another Java IDE -- JBuilder -- and also his stint using yet another languge IDE: Visual Basic.
    Eclipse is super. This entry isn’t meant at all to run it down. I intended to keep using it (and may continue using it for work, at least) because it is free and well-supported (and funded). Whenever possible, I like picking popular projects for the network effects and for the best chance at longevity. I had heard NetBeans was pretty good, and it is well supported with Sun and a community behind it, but basing my decision solely on size and reach of the respective projects, I think I’d have stayed with Eclipse. So what has tipped me over to NetBeans? It comes back to GUI programming and started this weekend when I went looking for a way to do this in Eclipse. I quickly found references to the Visual Editor plugin, and I found a lot of information about it, but I couldn’t get it working with my installation of Eclipse. With enough motivation I might have persevered, but I had the NetBeans alternative to look at. [On NetBeans] I’m sold on the GUI editor. If this thing can do all the other things an IDE should do, I’m pretty sure I’ll be a NetBeans convert. I don’t want to gush too much about the GUI designer, and this may not be a big selling point for VB-disparagers, but I can see this as a fully capable replacement for what I had in VB, GUI-wise. Except now I’m free and cross platform enabled. It’s way cool how they’ve made this thing.
    Read the Scott's complete post: http://www.movingtofreedom.org/2007/08/28/moving-to-netbeans-for-java-from-eclipse/

Threaded Messages (5)

2. Re: Moving to NetBeans from Eclipse[ Go to top ]

Unless I need to design GUI, I will keep using Eclipse. ss http://www.jyog.com
  3. Is netbean work?[ Go to top ]

For some reason I have to use netbeans at linux for a while, look like it is just don't working... I try to just search a keyword of my project, but it cannot find any result... (of course, the keyword is exist in the source codes, turn out I need to find the class using grep)
  4. Matisse4Eclipse[ Go to top ]

I can appreciate your enthusiasm for NetBeans GUI editor. However, I personally did not want to invest the time into learning NetBeans. I believe both IDEs are both equally fantastic for development. A solution I found for GUI development for Eclipse is to use Matisee4Eclipse, really can't fault it.
  5. Support eclipse[ Go to top ]

Eclipse is cool. It's beautiful .When I write code, the font is so clear and comfortable.I will always use eclipse
  6. NetBeans Is Too Facilitating[ Go to top ]

For my projects, I always like to use NetBeans IDE. I am fan of NetBeans and It is also providing AddOn s for providing more facilities. It's visual web developer is too good containing all the components one may need in developing his project.