These are exciting times at REI! Our business is strong: We’re introducing new stores, opening a new distribution center and leading the competition with our award-winning e-commerce sites. To support our continued growth we are looking for an experienced Software Development Manager.
The Software Development Manager will be responsible for managing the teams that develop and support REI’s ordering systems including our eCommerce site, rei.com, and our telesales system, Order Power. This is a very dynamic fast-paced environment as we continually enhance rei.com with new features for our customers. The ideal candidate will have experience managing software development teams developing eCommerce sites using Java. The candidate must be able to work in a high-pressure environment when dealing with support issues affecting site availability and performance.
This job contributes to REI’s success by managing applications software development teams supporting assigned business lines. Assists business clients in analyzing technology needs and planning new application systems development projects. Collaborates with Enterprise Architects to ensure integration of business line systems planning with company-wide strategic systems planning. Provides direction to project teams, establishes work priorities and evaluates proposed solutions to ensure that technology contributes to achievement of business objectives. Contributes to and enforces departmental strategies, policies and standards. Ensures that team commitments are tracked, managed and meet or exceed expectations. Establishes and enforces best practices and policies for high quality software delivery. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
Leading the Way
• Supports the implementation of company programs, procedures, methods and practices to promote REI key messages.
• Challenges and inspires employees to achieve business results.
• Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
• Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to employees in order to achieve department, company and customer results.
Your Planning & Navigating Requirements
• Prepares or reviews proposals for development of new systems and submits recommendations to management.
• Collaborates with Enterprise Architecture to align and integrate business line development initiatives with enterprise-wide strategic technology plans.
• Oversees and coordinates the work of teams of system and software architects, and software engineers. Ensures that development of applications systems adheres to enterprise architectural standards and other application development standards.
• Collaborates with Project Management Office to manage the progress of development projects in process.
• Collaborates with all IT departments and disciplines regarding applications system design, development, testing, implementation and evaluation. Ensures that solutions meet business needs with respect to system architecture, functionality, performance, scalability, reliability, realistic implementation schedules, and adherence to development standards.
• significantly impact the effective execution of business processes.
• Assists business areas in identifying current and future information services needs.
• Prepares budget recommendations for staffing needs, costs of equipment and tools, maintenance, and future projects.
• Creates and maintains staffing plans. Ensures the team is properly trained and staffed to handle the projected workload, both from an internal staffing and outsourcing standpoint. Makes recommendations to management regarding long-term contractors and/or additions to staff.
• Performs basic line supervision, including hiring, firing, conducting performance reviews, setting performance goals, promotions, salary increases, developing subordinates, and managing performance and discipline.
• Creates support structures to ensure that adequate technical support for end users is maintained at all times. Ensures that required technical tools and training are available to the staff providing support.
• Keeps abreast of technology changes and innovations in the information technology field and specifically in the software development field.
• Manages or coordinates vendor relationships and contracts for products, services and support.
The 10+ Essentials (the minimum knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform the job)
• 2+ years supervisory experience in the information technology field and the ability to direct technical work teams.
• 5+ years experience in information technology, including leading teams in systems analysis or software engineering.
• 5+ years experience in software development.
• 5+ years experience planning, organizing and directing systems development projects.
• Experience developing long-term technology strategies. (preferred)
• Experience managing multiple project teams.
• Knowledge of business principles from multiple disciplines and ability to apply those principles.
• Experience with structured project life cycle, systems development management tools and service management methodologies such as Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL).
Senior Recruiter, REI
email: bbobzie at rei dot com I phone: 253.395.7103 I
toll free: 800.999.4734 x7103
"We inspire, educate and outfit for a lifetime of outdoor adventure and stewardship".
Recreation is our business, and REI offers a great work environment that balances hard work with time off to play. We offer an excellent compensation package, flexible benefits, an outstanding retirement plan, incentive program, relocation assistance, a generous merchandise discount to help you enjoy your free time, and - most importantly - a work environment where respect for the individual and teamwork are our fundamental employee values.
If you'd like to be rewarded for initiative, effort, and creative thought, come join us!
REI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.