Discussions

News: AppThena 1.0 Beta 2: A New Web Application Framework

1. We at Glass Paw are proud to announce the release of AppThena version 1.0 beta 2. We think AppThena is the fastest way to create a database-driven web application in Java. Simply deploy AppThena in your favourite app server and set up a JDBC connection to your database to get a fully functional web application. You can view, edit and search the contents of your database without any further work. AppThena gives you a working web application in under 5 minutes. This is because it combines an automatic object/relational mapper and a dynamic user interface. There's no need to describe every type by hand or create individual JSPs to work with them. We know that you'll always need to change the application to meet your project's requirements so we've made AppThena modular and completely flexible. Trivial changes such as renaming types and hiding properties can be accomplished by editing the configuration file. You can add business logic and hooks to other systems by creating plugins. If necessary, you can replace any part of the system with custom code including the entire model, view or controller layers. You'll never be trapped by standard behaviour that you can't change. AppThena is a commercial product but development licences are completely free; you don't even need to log in. Just help yourself to the download. (The development license will only deliver content to "localhost.") We hope that you will give AppThena a try and let us know what you think. We're offering a 20% discount and a free Bronze support plan on your first licence if you buy AppThena while it's still in beta. Features - automatically creates an object model from your database structure - no need to describe every table in XML - converts foreign keys into object relationships - CRUD operations and search work out of the box - no need to create screens for every type - uses plugins to create new actions or business logic - works with any standards-compliant Java web application server - works with almost any relational database server* * MySQL, Apache Derby and MS SQL Server are pre-configured. Oracle support is due soon. You can configure AppThena to work with most other databases. Learn More: http://www.appthena.com/about/about_appthena.html Download: http://www.appthena.com/downloads/downloads.html Glass Paw Limited: http://www.glasspaw.com/

Threaded Messages (6)

2. Ah...I was interested until I saw "A development license is free. [emphasis mine]" Moving on... :)
  3. good luck[ Go to top ]

I developed a similar framework, except it was standards based (Spring, JSF and Hibernate) two years ago for a customer project. When i considered it's future i came to conclusion that web frameworks have zero commercial potential and abandoned any dreams of making it into a product. So, good luck -- luck is exactly what you are going need when you try to sell a web framework for 2500 USD per server.. /Henri Karapuu
  4. Re: good luck[ Go to top ]

I developed a similar framework, except it was standards based (Spring, JSF and Hibernate) two years ago for a customer project.
    None of Spring, JSF or Hibernate are "standards". However...
    When i considered it's future i came to conclusion that web frameworks have zero commercial potential and abandoned any dreams of making it into a product.
    I completely agree.
  5. Re: good luck[ Go to top ]

None of Spring, JSF or Hibernate are "standards". However...
    JSF is. But yeah, you are right, i should had written 'de-facto standards'. My point was that the solution based on these three technologies was/is probably a lot easier to customize than the AppThena stuff and interesting to a much wider crowd ( plus i was consider 5x cheaper price), but i still came to conclusion that it would be hopeless. /Henri Karapuu
  6. Re: good luck[ Go to top ]

Want to hand over the code that you developed then? ;) It would nice to have an application or framework that can be used for CRUD operations, but there's no way I would pay over $100 for it.
  7. Re: good luck[ Go to top ]

Want to hand over the code that you developed then? ;)
    In principle, yes. I actually tried to secure some funding for rewriting or at least cleaning up the stuff and releasing it as open source just this summer, but that was not meant to be. It can be quite nice framework to use, it's fully runtime (no code generation) and has some advanced features like full support for polymorphism, nested object creation, choosing objects for association through searchable list page (instead of pulldowns) etc. One major problem is that i did a custom conversation scope implementation (gavin hadn't come out of the closet with seam yet) which absolutely needs to be burned and replaced with something decent. Anyways i'll let you know when the stuff has been cleaned up. Should be ready by the second half of next century :) /Henri Karapuu