Discussions

News: Presentation: Rod Johnson on Spring 2 from TSSJS Vegas

1. Organizations integrating open source frameworks into a development effort often experience significant challenges with its implementation and use. Such organizations are subsequently unable to attain the full value from such frameworks, as they struggle with development efforts and application scalability and performance. This Tech Talk details the improvements made to the Spring 2.0 framework. Spring 2.0 introduced major enhancements in the Spring Framework making it both simpler to use and more powerful. In this session, Rod discusses some of the enhancements through code examples, focusing on extensible XML configuration, support for dynamic languages in the Spring component model, and support for JPA. Rod demonstrates how Spring 2.0 provides a launching pad for further developments in 2007, discussing the implications of OSGi integration for the Spring component model, and additional configuration options. Finally Rod surveys the Spring Portfolio, and shows how the ecosystem around Spring helps in many areas of enterprise development.

Threaded Messages (8)

2. Slides / Podcast online[ Go to top ]

It's working noting that if you follow the links to here that the presentation is available as a Real Video download. Useful for us poor sods that didn't get to go to Las Vegas :-( Paul , People and Technology
  3. Re: Slides / Podcast online[ Go to top ]

Just wait until we figure out how to do TSSJS with Second Life. :)
  4. Just wait until we figure out how to do TSSJS with Second Life. :)
    Joseph only smiles. His flat ass farts dirty.
  5. Victim of its own success?[ Go to top ]

I remember watching a presentation from Rod Johnson about two years ago ... this one looks very (too) similar. I think that the Java world owes a lot to Spring, they brought a lot of common sense back when things where going crazy with EJB 1/2. However, EJB 3 took a lot of those lessons from Spring (dependency injection, simplicity, etc). Is Spring a victim of its own success? Will it keep growing as EJB 3 gets more open source app servers? Paul Casal Sr. Developer jbilling.com The Enterprise Open Source Billing System
  6. Re: Victim of its own success?[ Go to top ]

I remember watching a presentation from Rod Johnson about two years ago ... this one looks very (too) similar. I think that the Java world owes a lot to Spring, they brought a lot of common sense back when things where going crazy with EJB 1/2.

However, EJB 3 took a lot of those lessons from Spring (dependency injection, simplicity, etc). Is Spring a victim of its own success? Will it keep growing as EJB 3 gets more open source app servers?
    Spring is an integration framework. While EJB3 is not. Transaction demarcation in Spring is done much better. With Spring you can work same way with JDO,Toplink,Hibernate,Plain JDBC. With EJB3 you provides only very restricted subset of Hibernate featues (e.g. no Criteria API at all). Spring provides AOP out of the box. EJB3 guys usually don't even know what it means. Spring provides ACEGI for Security while EJB3 has only JAAS. Have a look at Spring remoting and compare it to EJB3. And the last Spring provides IoC while EJB3 only uses IoC. Now tell is Spring a victim or a winner ;-) Regards, Vitaliy S
  7. Good Post[ Go to top ]

Spring is an integration framework. While EJB3 is not.
    Transaction demarcation in Spring is done much better.
    With Spring you can work same way with JDO,Toplink,Hibernate,Plain JDBC. With EJB3 you
    provides only very restricted subset of Hibernate featues (e.g. no Criteria API at all).
    Spring provides AOP out of the box. EJB3 guys usually don't even know what it means.
    Spring provides ACEGI for Security while EJB3 has only JAAS.
    Have a look at Spring remoting and compare it to EJB3.
    And the last Spring provides IoC while EJB3 only uses IoC.

Now tell is Spring a victim or a winner ;-)

Regards,
    Vitaliy S
    Thanks a bunch for listing the "advantages" Spring has over EJB3........
  8. Re: Victim of its own success?[ Go to top ]

I remember watching a presentation from Rod Johnson about two years ago ... this one looks very (too) similar. I think that the Java world owes a lot to Spring, they brought a lot of common sense back when things where going crazy with EJB 1/2.

However, EJB 3 took a lot of those lessons from Spring (dependency injection, simplicity, etc). Is Spring a victim of its own success? Will it keep growing as EJB 3 gets more open source app servers?

Spring is an integration framework. While EJB3 is not.
    Transaction demarcation in Spring is done much better.
    With Spring you can work same way with JDO,Toplink,Hibernate,Plain JDBC. With EJB3 you
    provides only very restricted subset of Hibernate featues (e.g. no Criteria API at all).
    Spring provides AOP out of the box. EJB3 guys usually don't even know what it means.
    Spring provides ACEGI for Security while EJB3 has only JAAS.
    Have a look at Spring remoting and compare it to EJB3.
    And the last Spring provides IoC while EJB3 only uses IoC.

Now tell is Spring a victim or a winner ;-)

Regards,
    Vitaliy S
    I don't think that Spring vs EJB is a valid comparison. Spring is a framework so why don't compare it to Java EE? Spring is not the only framework that offer DI/IoC, AOP and other stuff you've mentioned. I don't think ACEGI is a reference to security implementation, for Spring maybe but it's to complicated to me, so compare ACEGI with JAAS please. What I heard from other people speak about Spring is that it have good IoC implementation thats all.
  9. Re: Victim of its own success?[ Go to top ]

With Spring you can work same way with JDO,Toplink,Hibernate,Plain JDBC.
    One of the many Spring myths.