Spring-On-Rails 1.0 Released

Discussions

News: Spring-On-Rails 1.0 Released

1. Spring-On-Rails 1.0 Released (18 messages)

Spring-On-Rails is a rapid Java Enterprise Application development Framework, distantly related to Ruby-on-Rails. Spring-On-Rails is designed to help developers generate a basic skeleton of CRUD-type applications. The generated application is based upon the Spring Framework, Ibatis and Hibernate for Java in the middle tier. The basic process of Spring-On-Rails development is very simple: define an object/relational mapping, then run an ant task to generate the project structure. This generates a simple update/read/delete application. It's early in its lifecycle; hopefully others will find it useful. It's licensed under the ASL 2.0.

Threaded Messages (18)

2. Re: Spring-On-Rails 1.0 Released[ Go to top ]

Hmmm... That sounds oddly familiar.
  3. Re: Spring-On-Rails 1.0 Released[ Go to top ]

Spring-On-Rails generates pure JEE application, no scripting at all.
  4. Ummm not really.[ Go to top ]

It creates a pure JEE app?? First off ... ok it runs in a Java EE app server but you don't seem at present to be using EJB 3 and JSF ... which would be Java EE. Secondly. If you want to go that route, thats fine. But JBoss Seam already provides rails like funcationality into a Java EE env. (the auto generate stubs etc) 3) java 6 ... ouch ... many aren't up that this entity mapping file is hideous . http://code.google.com/p/spring-on-rails/wiki/EntityMapping I'd suggest try to do things through annotations instead. Anyway. It's interesting. But as others have pointed out between Seam and Grails ... this really isnt nothing TOO new. Now if you used pure java6 scripting to make a rails like app ... that would be interesting.
  5. Re: Ummm not really.[ Go to top ]

JSE 6 is used to generate application only. Application could be any version J2EE container from 1.3 to 1.5. Because PoJo have to be reused in J2EE 1.3 and 1.4 environment, annotation will make it binary incompatible with older JDK. We planed to release next version that would use both mapping and annotation. However, application was created for front-end designer and middle-tier developer. Designer who does not know Java, she/he may not happy with PoJo + annotation then.
  6. Re: Spring-On-Rails 1.0 Released[ Go to top ]

The same code generation functionality is provided by MyEclipse. This generates spring+hibernate+jsf code from a existing database. I think that is cleaner
  7. Re: Spring-On-Rails 1.0 Released[ Go to top ]

The same code generation functionality is provided by MyEclipse. This generates spring+hibernate+jsf code from a existing database. I think that is cleaner
    Do you have a pointer to this? I recall them doing DB -> Hibernate.. But not all the way thru to the UI. So this creates the biz tier and a list/edit forms in JSF?
  8. MyEclipse[ Go to top ]

Flex and AIR UI integration is my ultimated goal for this project. At this point of time, AppFuse and Spring-On-Rails are pretty closed, but not MyEclipse.
  9. Connection[ Go to top ]

Sunny, you are saying that Flex & AIR UI is an ultimate goal of which project ? I am very interested in Spring, Flex, and use MyEclipse. Please elaborate....
  10. Re: Connection[ Go to top ]

Spring-On-Rails currently supports XML View and takes normal HTTP request(Not AMF). I have been using this approach for quiet a few applications at work. I am currently working on Flex SDK (as/mxml compiler) with Maven integration, once it is done. Spring-On-Rails front-end can use Flex also. Further integration is planned to use open source AMF framework or JSON binding to support native remote call.
  11. sure does[ Go to top ]

Hmmm... That sounds oddly familiar.
    sure does.
  12. Re: Spring-On-Rails 1.0 Released[ Go to top ]

This generates a simple update/read/delete application. It's early in its lifecycle; hopefully others will find it useful.
    What, no Create functionality ?
  13. Re: Spring-On-Rails 1.0 Released[ Go to top ]

This generates a simple update/read/delete application. It's early in its lifecycle; hopefully others will find it useful.

What, no Create functionality ?
    It does have creation.
  14. Re: Spring-On-Rails 1.0 Released[ Go to top ]

AppFuse is an open source rapid application development tool that has been out for a few years and is mature. It uses the latest open source projects as well as support for web services, several MVC and persistence technologies all tied together using the Spring Framework. There is more that the project supports so check it out. Has anyone used AppFuse and Spring-On-Rails? I would like to know how they compare in ease of use.
  15. on rails[ Go to top ]

expect to catch some heat from the ruby-on-rails people. i don't think they like others using the "on-rails" name... i thing grails was originally groovy-on-rails.
  16. Round Hole -- Everyone jump in[ Go to top ]

Thought I was going to say square peg, huh? If you have no money, time or patience and you are building a web 2.0 consumer community site, then Ruby-on-Rails is da shiz. All those super cool ajax widgets all ready to go. How can you afford not to use Ruby? But then, if you need to build grown up applications that support things like patient care or your bank account balance then perhaps you would like to choose something a little more robust. It turns out that OO languages do a good job of managing very complex patterns..... but I digress. What you absolutely should not do is try and turn Java into Rails. Trying to compete with the convention based coding of the Rails community is pointless. Do java developers really have that much of a problem getting CRUD patterns going for their basic domain objects? Are projects so short on time that we just can't include a delete function unless its generated? What if someone came out with RubyFuse. They would be laughed out of the Ruby community because Rails is already there and does the job. There are not 25 frameworks and frameworks of frameworks trying to compete for this pattern in the Ruby community. (i think) In the interest of disclosure, I do use Appfuse. I am not all that concerned with its CRUD generation but I do really like the configuration and project infrastructure setup. So Java developers, please stop embarassing yourselves and your peers by creating yet another CRUD framework on framework. Use either Seam or Appfuse and build something useful to society instead.
  17. bad naming[ Go to top ]

crap on Rails, grails.. horrible naming.
  18. Run![ Go to top ]

The interface21 lawyers will haunt you for using the name 'Spring'.
  19. Re: Spring-On-Rails 1.0 Released[ Go to top ]

Spring must change. Otherwise, it will die. You can seem the reason here: http://oldreaper.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!9380AD0F680E9113!286.entry