Discussions

News: Article: HP.com's Transformation Through SOA and Governance

1. Hewlett-Packard conducts a wide variety of business in every country in the world. Suppliers, channel partners, and many other companies help HP in the design, manufacture, marketing, selling, and supporting their products to customers in five separate but often overlapping segments. Considering that almost every permutation of those operations has a web site associated with it, it's obvious that it takes a large, well-organized group of people to deal with the massive scale of sites that must be managed. HP.com's architecture is a huge conceptual jigsaw puzzle assembled by a variety of chief and solution Architects, each with specific areas of expertise, and all with common goals and processes. This article tells the story of how HP.com works and how governance, platform selection, and implementation of SOA transformed their IT environment and helped in saving millions of dollars.

Threaded Messages (12)

2. Broken link[ Go to top ]

Link is broken. http://www.theserverside.com/tt/articles/article.tss?l=AStudyofHP
  3. Err[ Go to top ]

Sorry, my browser was buggy, it's ok.
  4. SOA Re-usability[ Go to top ]

HP is a company decided to adopt SOA in early stage just in their back yard to consolidate a lot of trouble around silo applications. Once they have learned from right usage of services they could able to sell the same concepts to a numerous clients in USA through their SOA COE consulting services. I personally know more than 3 clients working with HP to establish a SOA COE to plan, analysis, design and build SOA based services by using their current IT investments instead of buying SOA painted tools from TOOL vendors :) SOA is an architecture principles and it is very important to adopt SOA in its real meaning and apply across the enterprise. HP.com is the result of such a work.
  5. Re: SOA Re-usability[ Go to top ]

HP is a company decided to adopt SOA in early stage just in their back yard to consolidate a lot of trouble around silo applications. Once they have learned from right usage of services they could able to sell the same concepts to a numerous clients in USA through their SOA COE consulting services. I personally know more than 3 clients working with HP to establish a SOA COE to plan, analysis, design and build SOA based services by using their current IT investments instead of buying SOA painted tools from
    TOOL vendors :)

SOA is an architecture principles and it is very important to adopt SOA in its real meaning and apply across the enterprise. HP.com is the result of such a work.
    Well, if having a bunch of read-only services used by "a variety of sites" is equal to "adopt SOA in early stage just in [ones] back yard to consolidate a lot of trouble around silo applications", then there are an awfull lot of companies that has adopted SOA a long time ago. Personally I feel that SOA is a bit more than that.
  6. Re: SOA Re-usability[ Go to top ]

Well, if having a bunch of read-only services used by "a variety of sites" is equal to "adopt SOA in early stage just in [ones] back yard to consolidate a lot of trouble around silo applications", then there are an awfull lot of companies that has adopted SOA a long time ago.

Personally I feel that SOA is a bit more than that.
    Hi John, I couldn't agree more that SOA is more than "a bunch of read-only services". While those types of services are the ones I chose to highlight in the article, there are others we use today that are more elaborate than that and even more we have on the drawing table for after we complete the data center activity. The read-based services tend to be simpler than something like the complex inventory and delivery management processes we have for the direct sales sites, as an example, so I picked the easy ones to work with in the article. For the reasons you point out, perhaps it would have made for a more complete article had I chosen other examples, but that's the main reason I did what I did. Thanks for the comment! Pete Johnson HP.com Chief Architect Personal blog: http://nerdguru.net
  7. Re: SOA Re-usability[ Go to top ]

I couldn't agree more that SOA is more than "a bunch of read-only services". While those types of services are the ones I chose to highlight in the article, there are others we use today that are more elaborate than that and even more we have on the drawing table for after we complete the data center activity. The read-based services tend to be simpler than something like the complex inventory and delivery management processes we have for the direct sales sites, as an example, so I picked the easy ones to work with in the article.
    Ok, then I´ll eagerly wait for another article that describes the experiences drawn from SOA:fying the more complex processes. Thanks for a good article.
  8. Dude SOA is an agile architecture principle than wrapping product lists with web services. Next week if you are a techi, take a walk to following shops Circuit city Staples Best buy Costco etc etc shop for something made by HP. Look for the supply chain, fulfillment, pricing, back order management etc etc , in simple anything that product has to do from HP an a manufacture. It is done through SOA agile services. Then finally walk to home depot, look into the tool rental, order fulfillment, check the back yard you will see a bunch of file operation and Informix code running across with 24/7 troubles. Now go back to home, put your brain to work See whether u have seen SOA in action, if you get it, you feel SOA the way HP do, if not, sorry your SOA is better than any one else SOA cuz u don't get it.
  9. Next week if you are a techi, take a walk to following shops

Circuit city
    Staples
    Best buy
    Costco etc etc
    shop for something made by HP. Look for the supply chain, fulfillment, pricing, back order management etc etc , in simple anything that product has to do from HP an a manufacture. It is done through SOA agile services.
    You expect me to enter a shop and ask them to show me the IT support for the fullfillment process? =)
  10. The question I have is why can't they respond to my numerous support requests for their broken update software?
  11. @James I don't want to turn this into "Pete's support emporium" but if you'd like to drop me an email (pete dot johnson at hp dot com) with a description of your problem and what you've tried, I'd be happy to see if I can help expedite a solution to your problem. For everybody else, the first of two posts on what writing this article was like is on my blog: http://blog.nerdguru.net/2007/10/running-diary-online-community-article.html Part 2 will get posted on Friday. The TSS staff was great throughout the whole process and I learned a lot from the experience. Pete Johnson HP.com Chief Architect Personal blog: http://nerdguru.net
  12. @James I don't want to turn this into "Pete's support emporium" but if you'd like to drop me an email.
    Of course it works now. It still says I've downloaded millions of bytes out of 695 or whatever but it seems to complete. I submitted a few questions through a support notification mechanism related to the update but never got a response. I'm contented for the moment but you might want to see where those messages are going.
  13. Pete This article is interesting and informative from many perspectives. We have a similar (small scale) initiative going on and we hope to learn from your experiences. Thank you Ramana