Virtual Ant Released - new GUI for Ant

Discussions

News: Virtual Ant Released - new GUI for Ant

1. Virtual Ant Released - new GUI for Ant (16 messages)

We have released Virtual Ant, a new GUI for Ant. With Virtual Ant you no longer have to get your hands dirty with XML to create or edit Ant build scripts. Work in a completely virtualized environment similar to Windows Explorer and run your tasks on a Virtual File System to see what they do, in real time, without affecting your real file system. The actual Ant build script is generated in the background. You can even work with your existing build scripts. Do not forget to watch the short demo and the playing with time videos on our site. For those who tried the beta, we know we screwed it up a little. Please try it again since we have corrected our mistakes and added a whole lot of new features since then. We will also have IDE integration available soon, available at no extra cost to current users.

Threaded Messages (16)

2. Eval licensing only ? Oh well.[ Go to top ]

Would love to give it another go - but 30 day evals are a major turnoff. I'll download and install it, then fancy trying it out 35 days later, esp. as ant hacking is not a day-to-day activity for most development. Community editions are normally a better option for try-before-buy for me. Plenty of time to discover what the tool can do for you, and once you want those extra features, it's only a license cost away. Also the beta was pretty screwy - must admit I'm a little jaded that this will be a bug-free release !
  3. Yup, we did mess up the beta![ Go to top ]

Community editions are normally a better option for try-before-buy for me. Plenty of time to discover what the tool can do for you, and once you want those extra features, it's only a license cost away.
    Its tough to give community editions with tools like this since its impossible to figure out which features to leave out. Its a combination of everything which provides the whole experience.
    Also the beta was pretty screwy - must admit I'm a little jaded that this will be a bug-free release !
    Yup, we did mess up the beta big time. You can read about the debacles on my blog post here - http://placidsystems.com/blog/2007/10/nested-datatypes-in-virtual-ant-and-how.html But dont worry we have enhanced a *LOT* of stuff since then. I would suggest looking at the new videos which show off all the latest functionality and also the updated gui - http://placidsystems.com/virtualant/videos.aspx
  4. Re: Eval licensing only ? Oh well.[ Go to top ]

I understand the pain licensing can be sometimes. Fortunately for Virtual Ant, it isn't too terribly painful to get a fresh evaluation key, although it's true that you do have to interrupt your work to get that taken care of. That being said, looks like Prashant made it pretty easy to grab a fresh key. I installed Virtual Ant and loaded a 47k Ant build script. It seemed to load it successfully, and I was able to play around a little bit. Cheers, David Flux - Java Job Scheduler. File Transfer. Workflow. BPM.
  5. No help??[ Go to top ]

I downloaded and tried it and quickly gave up. Loaded a script, all the targets showed up, but other than seeing the property of a target (depends etc.) I could not edit it or play with it. And no help!
  6. Re: No help??[ Go to top ]

Hi, We have put the documentation online so that we always keep it uptodate. You can find it at- http://placidsystems.com/virtualant/docs.aspx You can also post any query at our discussion group or send a support email. What is the msg you get when you try to play a target? If you could explain your problem in more detail maybe i could help.
  7. I used a lot of Ant. But I don't really like it. Ant is a script language disguised in hierarchical XML structure. The original designer of Ant wrote that, looking back from now, choosing XML for a scripting language was not a wise decision. I had a lot of discussions about this a few years ago. Such tools like "Virtual Ant" are an expression of Ant's cumbersome XML syntax. Programmers prefer programming I think. The best thing would be to replace Ant's XML syntax with a domain specific programming language, make it a new industry standard, and supply good tool support for it.
  8. Pricing issue[ Go to top ]

I deeply appreciate that you deserve to make a buck off of your product which I think is worth a serious look. The issue I have is for the independent developer. I can't justify spending $299 on a tool that isn't mission critical. Especially when I only spend $60 a year on tools like MyEclipse which are much more important to my day-to-day productivity. I'm sorry to say that the days of the $999 piece of software is over. Purchasing managers won't go for it and early adopters can live without it. I tend to make my software purchasing decisions based on the 'Bar Tab' rule. The rule is that if something costs around the same price as a bar tab (I live in South Beach so I know my numbers are skewed, but for those that haven't been here think about a Cameron Purdy bar tab :) ), I'll buy it on spec. Otherwise, it becomes a nice to have that I hope to get a client to buy for me. This isn't limited to ANT tools. This also applies to DB tools, editors, Eclipse plug-ins, just about anything that will give me a slight productivity gain. John Murray
  9. Re: Pricing issue[ Go to top ]

Hi John, The thing with tools like MyEclipse and the other IDEs out there is that they really dont provide you much productivity at all. All they do is provide an enhanced text editor with some syntax highlighting and code completion capabilities. You still have to go through the entire Learn-Edit-Debug-Test cycle to develop your program. Thus using MyEclipse you wont be able to say complete something that would take 1 month in 1 day, since you still have to learn everything about the libraries you are using, and debug and test your application. The IDE only really helps you with the editing part. And we all know that nobody judges how good a programmer is with his 'typing speed'. However with Virtual Ant, things are different. We have broken the whole Learn-Edit -Debug-Test cycle. So people with almost no knowledge of Ant really can create a script in Virtual Ant in say 15-20 mins which otherwise would take a week reading all the manuals and going through the whole debug-test cycle. Note that we are not trying to sell you an editor. In fact there are many better xml editors out there better than the one in Virtual Ant which are available for free. Also did I mention that the script would be absolutely error free right from the first time. Since you can see whatever is happening, you dont make mistakes and even if you do, they dont affect your real file system. We wanted to make a system that would be so simple to use that anyone with even no programming experience can create build scripts and share them with his team members who in turn can also easily make changes to the script. This makes build scripts almost a non-issue, something you never think twice about, the same way you never think twice before copy/pasting a file in Windows Explorer. I would suggest reading my blog post describing how Virtual Ant is different from the other tools out there - http://placidsystems.com/blog/2007/05/what-kind-of-tool-is-virtual-ant.html Prashant
  10. Re: Pricing issue[ Go to top ]

The thing with tools like MyEclipse and the other IDEs out there is that they really dont provide you much productivity at all.
    You must be joking!
    All they do is provide an enhanced text editor with some syntax highlighting and code completion capabilities
    Now you are really joking. Please take some time...Install Eclipse and check out http://www.eclipse.org/projects/. And Oh...there are the Eclipse Plugins. Have a nice day!
  11. Re: Pricing issue[ Go to top ]

Again talking about productivity. Have you tried stuff like JBoss Seam, AndroMDA? And there is always Maven. Developing an application with JBoss Seam is really a pleasure. You need to post your responses after doing your research. Saying stuff like "The IDE only really helps you with the editing part" & "The thing with tools like MyEclipse and the other IDEs out there is that they really dont provide you much productivity at all" would not help in anyway to promote your work. Instead take your time, research and pitch your work against tried & tested, widely used, industrial strength software out there. Shivdeep
  12. Re: Pricing issue[ Go to top ]

Prashant, I don't think you are understanding the crux of my issue. Comparatively, I spend very little time working with ANT script. Therefore, the ROI of your tool doesn't approach that of a MyEclipse or other other Eclipse Plug-Ins that I use every day. In addition to basic server side development, I also do Swing development for JNLP applications. So the Mattice plug-in in MyEclipse is worth hours of productivity improvements every single day. In any given year, I might only spend 10 hours working on build scripts. While I feel that your tool might reduce that time to under an hour, how does 9.5 hours at $299 compare to 100 hours at $60? I understand on why you wouldn't want to sell yourself short on what seems to be a very fine product. But at this price, I just don't see how I can justify the expenditure. The purpose of my posting wasn't to target your product per se, but to comment on something that I see every day of the week. We all deserve to be compensated for the hard work and intelligence that we put into every thing that we develop. I am trying to further the conversation of lowering the barriers to entry for developers to acquire useful tools. I wish you all the luck with Virtual Ant. John Murray
  13. I just want to echo what has already been said, $299 is simply too much for this kind of tool. There are people out there who won't fork up $250 for a copy of IntelliJ which is something they would use 7+ hours a day, every day so they sure as hell won't fork up $299 for something they have to deal with once every few months. I'm a tool whore who spends hundreds of dollars every year of my own money on software develop tools and I wouldn't spend $299 (and I don't care if the damn thing is completely bug free). I actually keep a $1,000 personal budget for such things and there's simply no way I could justify it. You've priced yourself way out of the market. A corporation might spend the $299 but at that price, they'd buy one copy and say only one guy does ant script mods. If you actually want to move some software and build a customer base, drop the price down to $49 (and refund money to anyone who actually paid the $299 already). Yep, that's a $250 drop but you'll make more long term. People are FAR more willing to part with $49 than they are $299. I wish you guys luck but I don't have much hope for you at your current pricing.
  14. Hi everyone, Listening to your comments, we have just introduced a special introductory price for a limited time. You can get a Single User License for just $99 now :) http://www.placidsystems.com/buy.aspx Prashant
  15. Good luck with that.
  16. It's not quite the number that I was looking for ($69), but since you have made the effort to adjust your model to our requests, I have made a similar adjustment to mine. I have just purchased your product and look forward to it enriching my development process. John Murray Sobetech
  17. Hell. I'm downloading it now. Let's kick the tires!