Find Java Heap Leaks with HeapAnalyzer

Discussions

News: Find Java Heap Leaks with HeapAnalyzer

1. Find Java Heap Leaks with HeapAnalyzer (6 messages)

Java heap areas define objects, arrays, and classes, and Java heap dumps are snap shots of Java heaps at specific times. HeapAnalyzer is a graphical tool that can find possible Java heap leak areas through its heuristic search engine and analysis of the Java heap dump. HeapAnalyzer's features include: * List of Java heap leak suspects * Recommendation of the size of kCluster * List of gaps among allocated objects/classes/arrays * Java objects/classes/arrays search engine * List of objects/classes/arrays by type name * List of objects/classes/arrays by object name * List of objects/classes/arrays by address * List of objects/classes/arrays by size * List of objects/classes/arrays by size of child * List of objects/classes/arrays by number of child * List of objects/classes/arrays by frequency * List of available heap spaces by size * Tree view of Java heap dump * Loading/saving processed Java heap dumps. Download HeapAnalizer from IBM alphaWorks.

Threaded Messages (6)

2. Is this what the Grey's use?[ Go to top ]

I was once probed by a Heap Analizer when I was abducted by a UFO, but I don't know if they downloaded it from IBM alphaWorks.
  3. Sun JVM support coming?[ Go to top ]

There is a good slide deck and audio podcast from Jinwoo Hwang, the HeapAnalyzer developer, on the IBM site. The presentation is 74 slides long! I wanted to try it out but we don't use the IBM JVM. We are mostly using the Sun JVM and BEA JRockit. The slide show makes it look -Frank Cohen http://www.pushtotest.com
  4. This works with any standard JVM[ Go to top ]

The heap dumps all have a common text format. Sun and IBM are both supported, and I imagine JRockit uses the same format, too.
  5. As far as I know the heap-dump formats of the IBM VM and the SUN VM are not compatible. A quick test with the HeapAnalyzer showed though, it is capable of reading SUN heap dumps. The SAP Memory Analyzer (which offers a lot more features) on the other hand refuses to load IBM Heap Dumps. regards, Ingo
  6. JRockit mem leak detector[ Go to top ]

anyone has tried the JRockit mem leak detector ? Rather than looking at post death dump it does connect to the JVM native layer directly and let you browse the object references. I believe both tools are actually needed but I am not sure the HeapAnalyzer will work with JRockit. Alex
  7. Hi, as far as I can see, there is no "retained size" calculation like e.g. the SAP Memory Analyzer has for SUN JVMs. Does anyone know if there is any plan to include such a feature? This feature is very handy to find possible memory leaks, the views in the IBM HeapAnalyzer don't help very much concerning this. regards, Ingo