SubEtha SMTP 2.0 Released: uses Apache MINA to leverage NIO

Discussions

News: SubEtha SMTP 2.0 Released: uses Apache MINA to leverage NIO

1. SubEthaSMTP is an easy to understand Java library that provides a receptive SMTP server component. By plugging this component into your Java application, you can easily receive SMTP mail using a simple abstract Java interface. Also included is a small sub-project called Wiser, an easy to use incoming mail testing framework. It is based on top of Apache MINA for high performance Native I/O (NIO) operation. The single most important feature is that the networking layer was re-written to use Apache Mina. This provides Native I/O (NIO) networking to make SubEthaSMTP fast and easy to deploy.

Threaded Messages (9)

2. NIO[ Go to top ]

Perhaps off-topic, but NIO used to stand for "new IO", because it was "new" in Java 1.4. Technically, it can be considered client-driven non-blocking I/O through its use of selectors. It is contrasted with other approaches, such as "blocking I/O" (traditional socket-per-thread model) and "asynchronous I/O", which is an event-driven non-blocking I/O implementation. Peace, Cameron Purdy Oracle Coherence: The Java Data Grid
  3. your right[ Go to top ]

Cameron, Thanks. You are totally right. I have no idea where I got it in my head that it meant native io, but I did and it kind of stuck. I'm sorry for misleading people with the wrong terminology. I'll correct it on our website asap. jon
  4. Nice piece of work!
  5. New IO name sounded bad from very beginning and unfortunately since its been used in package name too we are stuck with it for ever. If Java gets a better IO model in future it might be named as New IO 2 :-)
  6. off-topic[ Go to top ]

what is wrong with nnio :)
  7. Re: off-topic[ Go to top ]

Is it nnio==sqr(n)io ? Guido
  8. if Java gets a better IO model in future it might be named as New IO 2 :-)
    Bingo. http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=203
  9. Nice and light[ Go to top ]

After spending a few hours with it, SubEthaSMTP looks quite good and might be exactly what I was looking for vs. a full James stack. Nice work!
  10. thanks![ Go to top ]

Thanks! =)