New Blog on JavaFX

Discussions

News: New Blog on JavaFX

1. New Blog on JavaFX (10 messages)

James Weaver, an author who's written books on learning J2EE and Java EE 5, has started up a blog on learning JavaFX. JavaFX is an odd bird in the Java landscape, and resources haven't been very common yet - this might be a good resource to change that. It'd be interesting to gather what people think JavaFX is for - its home page says that its purpose is "to simplify and speed the creation and deployment of high-impact content for a wide range of devices." Do you think it's succeeding in this? James also has a book on JavaFX that's worth looking into, if you're interested in the technology.

Threaded Messages (10)

2. Bought the book[ Go to top ]

It's understatement when talking about JavaFX to say that
    resources haven't been very common yet
    So much so that I bought the E-Book (just under 10 Euro - Bargain) to evaluate (not use) JavaFx. Will post later if the book / JavaFx is any good (or not). (note: I have no link to either to Author or the Publisher) Paul Browne - People and Technology Blog
  3. Re: Bought the book[ Go to top ]

Paul, I look forward to your feedback on the JavaFX Script book, and would appreciate your TSS review as well as an Amazon review. Thanks, Jim Weaver
  4. Book Review of JavaFX[ Go to top ]

Read the book last night: It was much better than I expected - normally texts that appear less than 6 months after the product announcement are rushed and full of errors. I found this one to be good quality, concise, and would make me consider using JavaFX (I was buying the book to evaluate the language for a future project). My main disappointment is not to do with the book itself, but the reason I bought the book; I am looking for a solution to package up a Java App, then deploy it over the web (like a modern version of a Java Applet, but using Java Web Start to overcome it's drawbacks). For this , it would have been nice to have a section on Deployment (as part of an Enterprise app). However, this was clearly stated to be a JavaFX book so this is a 'nice to have request' rather than a complaint! Paul , People and Technology Blog
  5. Re: Book Review of JavaFX[ Go to top ]

Paul, Thanks for your kind words. I'll cover deployment in the blog very soon, and will make a note to include it in the next revision of the book. I'd like to again publicly thank Weiqi Gao http://www.weiqigao.com/blog/ for the *excellent* work that he did on the technical review of this book! By the way, please write a review on Amazon.com if you'd be so kind :-) Thanks again, Jim Weaver
  6. Re: Book Review of JavaFX[ Go to top ]

Paul, Just a note that the latest post in my http://learnjavafx.typepad.com blog addresses (among other things) your deployment questions. Thanks, Jim Weaver
  7. Hi James! Its really nice to see blog on JavaFx - with such a depth! Can you share your experiences and examples related to Mobile Application domain..as i understand JavaFx simplifies development in this area as well..Write Once Run Anywhere in a true sense... vimarsh
  8. vimarsh, Yes, I plan to cover the mobile area as well! Thanks, Jim Weaver
  9. comparison to IntelliJ UIDesigner[ Go to top ]

I am interested in getting a bit more efficient in this area and was wondering if anyone has thoughts on JavaFX vs something like IntelliJ UIDesigner. Alex
  10. Re: comparison to IntelliJ UIDesigner[ Go to top ]

I am interested in getting a bit more efficient in this area and was wondering if anyone has thoughts on JavaFX vs something like IntelliJ UIDesigner.

Alex
    JavaFX Script is a declarative programming language that will be very conducive to using tools like UIDesigner. I suspect that NetBeans will offer the first real UI design tool for JavaFX Script, and that other IDEs will follow. The declarative script for expressing a UI in JavaFX Script is so intuitive that I suspect the biggest need for design tools will be in the area of graphical content and animation. See my blog entry entitled Back to PlanetJFX to Learn About JavaFX Triggers to see a good example of how to use declarative scripting to layout a simple JavaFX Script program. Another relevant blog post is JavaFX Layout Widget Examples by Sven. Regards, Jim Weaver JavaFX Script: Dynamic Java Scripting for Rich Internet/Client-side Applications
    eBook (PDF) download available at the book's Apress site
  11. Re: New Blog on JavaFX[ Go to top ]

I'd like to point out that the JavaFX Compiler team has achieved what I consider to be a tipping point in the project. The Elephant is Through the Door weblog post discusses this, as well as provides a UI-oriented example of compiled JavaFX Script.
    James Weaver, an author who's written books on learning J2EE and Java EE 5, has started up a blog on learning JavaFX. JavaFX is an odd bird in the Java landscape, and resources haven't been very common yet - this might be a good resource to change that.

It'd be interesting to gather what people think JavaFX is for - its home page says that its purpose is "to simplify and speed the creation and deployment of high-impact content for a wide range of devices." Do you think it's succeeding in this?

James also has a book on JavaFX that's worth looking into, if you're interested in the technology.