General questions on J2EE

Discussions

General J2EE: General questions on J2EE

1. General questions on J2EE (2 messages)

I am trying to learn J2EE/JSTL/JSF and have quite a few general questions. Any help on any of these is appreciated. 1) Is there a way, just by using J2EE/Java to "manipulate" an XML file. Not just parse and read it's data but actually add nodes to the file? 2) I've been reading quite a bit on JSTL and JSF recently. Is JSF supposed to be an alternative to Struts and JSTL an alternative to scriptlet coding? 3) I am also working on creating a message board but throwing around a couple of ways to implement it. Either (a) using a database to store posts and a JSP interface or (b) using an XML document to store postings. Which of these two seem best or is there a better option? 4) Is there an easy way to call Php from a Java program? I need to invoke a php program when a user clicks on a link on a JSP page I have.

Threaded Messages (2)

2. Re: General questions on J2EE[ Go to top ]

1) Is there a way, just by using J2EE/Java to "manipulate" an XML file. Not just parse and read it's data but actually add nodes to the file? Yes, you can parse and add nodes to xml, try using "Castor" API's, its an opensource java xml binding framework. 2)I've been reading quite a bit on JSTL and JSF recently. Is JSF supposed to be an alternative to Struts and JSTL an alternative to scriptlet coding? You can't say its an alternative, but they are similar to their counterparts, its you who have to decide which one to use depending upon requirements. 3)I am also working on creating a message board but throwing around a couple of ways to implement it. Either (a) using a database to store posts and a JSP interface or (b) using an XML document to store postings. Which of these two seem best or is there a better option? Use database if number of posts in message board is more and xml if there are only few messages in board. 4) Is there an easy way to call Php from a Java program? I need to invoke a php program when a user clicks on a link on a JSP page I have. Yes, this is possible, but a little complicated architecture, your server need to understand both the requests, the j2ee and php, if you have a web server(apache or sun one) in front of app server, you can keep your php files there are configure it to handle *.php requests
  3. Re: General questions on J2EE[ Go to top ]

If you are looking for some more good J2EE Technology related questions with answer. I shall recommend http://question2answer.googlepages.com/Servlet-questions-answers.html Thanks.