GigaSpaces offers free perpetual use of XAP to startups

Discussions

News: GigaSpaces offers free perpetual use of XAP to startups

1. GigaSpaces has announced the "GigaSpaces Start-Up Program," which provides qualified companies with full, free, perpetual use of the GigaSpaces eXtreme Application Platform. Qualifiers include individuals and companies with less than $5 million in revenues. GigaSpaces has a number of products based on the JavaSpaces API, extending it in many ways and providing integration with Spring through the OpenSpaces Framework.

Threaded Messages (21)

2. Hi all, If you've been keeping track we've alluded to this program in several previous posts on TSS. I'm happy to say we finally made this happen. GigaSpaces XAP is all about scaling-out. It let's you horizontally scale your app -- even if it is stateful/transactional/data-intensive/low-latency/real-timish -- across commodity servers. So it's ideal for start-ups, who will be able to quickly grow the throughput of their applications as demand grows, with little or no code changes. And now we're making it available to start-ups and individuals at the convenient price of ZERO. ZILCH. NADA. Please -- Read my blog post explaining our rationale here. The official announcement here. FAQs about the program here. Sign up here. Geva Perry GigaSpaces Technologies
  3. Very good move, too bad you did not start it 2 years ago.
  4. Very good move, too bad you did not start it 2 years ago.
    Thanks, Konstantin. Better late than never...
  5. Cost for non-profits?[ Go to top ]

Hi Geva, This is a really neat announcement! Although I do not work for a non-profit, I know several folks from our local JUG who do. They may find the XAP platform very useful, as they do gene research for one of the medical schools in Houston. This leads me to my question: Does the offer stand for non-profit research organizations, since they have no revenue? Thanks, Jim Houston JUG President
  6. Re: Cost for non-profits?[ Go to top ]

Does the offer stand for non-profit research organizations, since they have no revenue?
    Jim - It certainly does. If anyone has any questions about their specific situation in terms of qualification, they can send us an email to: startup at gigaspaces dot com.
  7. Interesting announcement (I’m kind of seeing a trend lately… Terrracota, GigaSpaces – begs the question). I have several specific questions though: * If my revenue goes over $5M I will stop getting major upgrades unless I pay full price, right? If so, it basically means that for absolute majority of businesses it’s just an extended closed-source (?) eval. * It is open-source or just free license? Thanks! Nikita Ivanov GridGain - Grid Computing Made Simple
  8. Hey Nikita -- Good questions. They are covered in the FAQs which you can check out here. Here's the FAQ that addresses your first point: Why is GigaSpaces doing this? Don't you want to make money? Yes, and we do, but not from start-ups. GigaSpaces' products have been widely adopted by large organization in financial services, telecommunications, government, Web, media, manufacturing and other industries. These companies can afford to pay for our products. However, we want to encourage start-ups, who may be looking at inferior low-cost (or free) alternatives to use GigaSpaces, and only pay us when their business justifies it. Our assumption is that anyone who is doing anything of any economic significance with our products will eventually want 24/7 support and will purchase the commercial license. In a sense, we are sharing the risk of starting a new business with our customers. To answer your questions:
    If my revenue goes over $5M I will stop getting major upgrades unless I pay full price, right? If so, it basically means that for absolute majority of businesses it’s just an extended closed-source (?) eval.
    It's not an eval, it's a full production license. Nothing changes when you reach $5 million in revenues, the license is perpetual. The $5 million number only applies to who qualifies for the program at the time of signing. So no worries, GridGain easily qualifies :-) Participating start-ups who choose to "graduate" to the full commercial license (in order to receive 24/7 support with enterprise-grade SLAs and major upgrades) can do so at a 50% discount.
    It is open-source or just free license?
    It is a free license. Nobody said anything about open source. Although our OpenSpaces framework is (and was) open source. Geva Perry GigaSpaces
  9. Hi Geva, Thanks for the answers.
    It's not an eval, it's a full production license. Nothing changes when you reach $5 million in revenues, the license is perpetual. The $5 million number only applies to who qualifies for the program at the time of signing.
    The reason I’m always skeptical about these invented “programs” for startup is that there’s always a catch. I don’t know of any single company that would say: “You know, I’ll just stick to GigaSpaces ver.X and will never upgrade to a newer versions”. So, in the end it is a paid product (nothing wrong with that at all) – but you just extended evaluation period until business reaches $5M revenue mark. Then there is always a stigma: “we tried to sell, nobody buys – so we invent a ‘program’ and try to give it away to salvage it”. Look at Terracotta for the latest on that. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying it in a bad way – but you have an uphill battle now to fight the perception that’s been just created. Best of luck, Nikita Ivanov. GridGain - Grid Computing Made Simple
  10. Great news. Hopefully this will help get GigaSpaces out of the large enterprise "niche". As an existing customer, I'd feel a lot more comfortable if GigaSpaces gains widespread adoption. Its also important that open source grid technologies like GridGain and others fully support GigaSpaces. So I'm glad to see the partnership announced. We had to write quite a bit of infrastructure code to use GigaSpaces as a platform, and it would be great if the combination of GigaSpaces XAP, OpenSpaces and technologies like GridGain provided everything we had to develop ourselves.
  11. Thanks, Yuri.
    it would be great if the combination of GigaSpaces XAP, OpenSpaces and technologies like GridGain provided everything we had to develop ourselves.
    You got it right! The startup-program is indeed part of a bigger initiative to create a community around next generation middleware technologies that follow the scale-out model. As you rightly said, such a community brings value not just for startups, but for everyone, including large enterprises. Other developer community initiatives we have in the works include our open source work around OpenSpaces and other projects, such as Spring,Mule,Hibernate,GridGain It also includes things such as the GigaSpaces XAP Community Edition and other projects that we have not announced yet. I strongly believe that we're in the beginning of a new era, which will completely change the middleware market and the way applications are built. Things like Amazon EC2, and the utility computing model in general, as well as the lessons from the way big Web application such as eBay were built, are clear evidence that we're already in the beginning of this era. Having been a startup ourselves, I believe that developers in startups are going to be the most influential in shaping how this world is going to look like. Personally, I see our initiatives around the Start-Up Program and developer community as our own small contribution to creating this "start-up alliance", if you like. I'm very excited to be part of it and am going to dedicate a lot of my time and effort to make it happen.
  12. ...The reason I’m always skeptical about these invented “programs” for startup is that there’s always a catch...
    An big catch that differs this from other free solutions is you have to apply for this license, which means that Gigaspaces will have information about everyone that's using the product for free. This is a big difference from the kind of information most open source projects have on their users and is important information from a marketing point of view. Also note that mission critical installations on products like this should have proper support and that is not included with this license. You have to buy proper licenses to get 24/7 support. -bjorn
  13. If my revenue goes over $5M I will stop getting major upgrades unless I pay full price, right? If so, it basically means that for absolute majority of businesses it’s just an extended closed-source (?) eval.
    Actually the absolute majority of businesses go belly up way before reaching 5m in revenues, so i'd rather take it as "it's free, and if we get big enough we have money to pay for it anyway". As a more general note, i think this is a pretty okey pricing strategy. Congrats for the GigaSpaces team for the good move. /Henri Karapuu
  14. wise decision good luck[ Go to top ]

I guess gigaspaces has realized that it is not the only big player in providing a framework to handle large volume of data, dealing with high through-put, providing dynamic scalability and blah blah...
    ... these days, a free-perpetual license is a captivating way of introducing potential clients or at least give them an opportunity to evaluate your technology.
    good luck and let's hope there are no too many caveats with the license.
  15. Desperation???[ Go to top ]

Is this a sign of desperation???
  16. Re: Desperation???[ Go to top ]

Is this a sign of desperation???
    On the contrary, it is a sign of maturity and self confident in what were doing and in our business more then anything else. In fact this year was our most successful year business wise and our pipeline for next year looks even more promising. This is something that we were planning on doing for quite some time (See my comment on that regard in August (here) ) and just waited for the right timing. You can find more details on the rational behind that step in our FAQ: Why is GigaSpaces doing this? Don't you want to make money? "Yes, and we do, but not from start-ups. GigaSpaces' products have been widely adopted by large organization in financial services, telecommunications, government, Web, media, manufacturing and other industries. These companies can afford to pay for our products. However, we want to encourage start-ups, who may be looking at inferior low-cost (or free) alternatives to use GigaSpaces, and only pay us when their business justifies it. Our assumption is that anyone who is doing anything of any economic significance with our products will eventually want 24/7 support and will purchase the commercial license. In a sense, we are sharing the risk of starting a new business with our customers." HTH Nati S. GigaSpaces Write Once Scale Anywhere
  17. Open source ?[ Go to top ]

Our assumption is that anyone who is doing anything of any economic significance with our products will eventually want 24/7 support and will purchase the commercial license.
    If this is true (I am agree) then why do not make it open source ? open source = easy adoption = more users with any economic significance = more money
  18. Re: Open source ?[ Go to top ]

If this is true (I am agree) then why do not make it open source ?

open source = easy adoption = more users with any economic significance = more money
    Underpants Gnome logic.
  19. This is a good move. I don't mind paying for a product ... the problem is paying upfront (when you have zero revenue and don't know if you will ever have some). If one day I have revenues, I think it is logical to share the wealth generated in part thanks to the software used. I think that many startups used free/open source products because of the cost. If you get a great product and only pay license fees if you make enough $$$ I think that many people will focus on choosing the best product (not only the best product among free/open source products).
  20. This is a good move. I don't mind paying for a product ... the problem is paying upfront (when you have zero revenue and don't know if you will ever have some).

If one day I have revenues, I think it is logical to share the wealth generated in part thanks to the software used.

I think that many startups used free/open source products because of the cost. If you get a great product and only pay license fees if you make enough $$$ I think that many people will focus on choosing the best product (not only the best product among free/open source products).
    James - Thanks, James, and you nailed it. That was the idea. We were seeing many start-ups that used low-cost or free alternatives, even though GigaSpaces was a better solution. So we're happy to share the risk with them.
  21. I wanted to thank the dozens of start-ups that have already signed-up to this program, which we launched a little more than 24 hours ago. I haven't done a thorough analysis of the applications yet, but from an initial review it's quite a varied group. The projects people are working on range from specialized search engines to Web 2.0 and social networking sites to low-latency financial applications to SaaS and more. Going forward, it will be really cool to see how people apply the GigaSpaces technology to these different types of applications.
  22. I am sorry to say this but the fact that there exists an open source RIA platform called XAP which confused me, for a moment I was wondering how can GigaSpace combine with RIA for starting up :) Any way pretty confusing names as well as abbreviations XAP : extensible ajax platform. XAP : eXtreme Application Platform. I have heard a lot of good things about GigaSpaces especially its capability to expand the space (cloud) dynamically, hopefully will get a chance some day to work on this technology.