Discussions

General J2EE: how to show multiple client in UML seqence diagram

1. how to show multiple client in UML seqence diagram (5 messages)

The system is desigend for both web and standalone clent.they access the same business logic components. how do I display these in UML sequence diagram? do I have to draw it for web clent (JSP/servlet) and repeat almost every thing they invoke business components for stand alone application?
  2. I think that I cannot understand your question, but I want to guess an answer for you :) Create an "Actor" an name it as "Client". This "Client" sends messages to your Business Service implementation.
  3. Thank you for your reply. from your anser, I guess you understood my question. think about this: jsp --> servlet controller ==> business service --> ... --> ... --> ... application ==> business service --> ... --> ... --> ... everything are same after ==> everything is different before ==> an "Actor" as a "Client" describe the right part very well but what if I want to show the left part?
  4. I think, you must split your sequence diagram in two secuence diagrams. I mean, :GUI->:Controller->:IBusinessService (after an interface it's not correct to continue with calls, it is "interface separation") And :Client->:BusinessServiceImpl->... (here you are specifying the "BusinessService" implementation.)
  5. I guess this makes more sense. is there any examples for a UML show both web and stand alone application?
  6. Hi, There is no any rules as per UML specification like how many clients you should show in a seq dia. Its all based on complexity and clearity.
    I think, you must split your sequence diagram in two secuence diagrams.
    I mean,
    :GUI->:Controller->:IBusinessService (after an interface it's not correct to continue with calls, it is "interface separation")

And

:Client->:BusinessServiceImpl->... (here you are specifying the "BusinessService" implementation.)
    Its good idea to put one sequence diagram for a client. But if you put all the actors in one diagram you can think about generalization of actors. In addition with that, its wise to include your DB also with diagram. Thanks, Saran.