Article: XWiki: A Platform for Collaborative Apps

Discussions

News: Article: XWiki: A Platform for Collaborative Apps

1. "XWiki: A Platform for Collaborative Apps" is an article by Vincent Massol that explains XWiki’s architecture and how to use it to create custom applications, through the class and object extension points. The article uses a simple "to-do" list, by only creating the new required functionality.

Threaded Messages (12)

2. Xwiki is kinda confusing[ Go to top ]

I took a look at XWiki when researching wiki systems, and the user/roll management I personally found confusing. I don't think I ever did figure out how to manage users with the system. It's a neat idea, but there's so much flexibility with the system that it doesn't even serve standard wiki functions without a template pack being applied. IMO, if I wanted a wiki this flexible to build other applications as well, I'd just write the app in java. It'll be interesting for the future though to see if module developers will create other plugin modules for the system thereby making the whole more valuable than the parts. For now though, it seems early to put it into production use.
  3. Re: Xwiki is kinda confusing[ Go to top ]

Which wiki system you decided to use at the end ? Chester
  4. Selected Wiki[ Go to top ]

The wiki we chose in the end was JamWiki. It was the closest mediawiki clone we could find, was easy to configure and had the basic features, such as Lucene, already integrated. However our needs are growing for corporate features, so we will probably end up on Confluence in the end. However if I were building my own wiki site, I'd certainly use JamWiki.
  5. Choosin wiki for project[ Go to top ]

I am choosing a wiki for our project. For now we use MediaWiki, but it lacks WYSIWYG editor and has too complicated images upload. I`ve taken a look at Xwiki and liked it except its, as it was already said, extra flexibility. I need rather simple functions like generating TOC and categories and don`t want to enable velocity scripting just for that, because user can even delete all wiki pages using it.
  6. Re: Choosin wiki for project[ Go to top ]

I`ve taken a look at Xwiki and liked it except its, as it was already said, extra flexibility. I need rather simple functions like generating TOC and categories
    You can use the TOC macro: http://code.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Macros/TocMacro
    and don`t want to enable velocity scripting just for that, because user can even delete all wiki pages using it.
    That's not quite true. There's a permission for deleting pages and it's only available to admins by default. In addition deleted pages go to a trashbin and can still be recovered. It's possible you tried XWiki a long time ago. It has progressed a lot in the past year. -Vincent Massol
  7. Re: Choosin wiki for project[ Go to top ]

We use XWiki for our website. Though, I would agree that we do not need all the flexibility XWiki provides, but it was very easy to use only parts that we needed at this time. What is great about XWiki is the team which is very fast to support in your test and trials. Mark http://www.sourcekibitzer.org/Bio.ext?sp=l8
  8. Re: Re: Choosin wiki for project[ Go to top ]

You can use the TOC macro:
    http://code.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Macros/TocMacro

That's not quite true. There's a permission for deleting pages and it's only available to admins by default. In addition deleted pages go to a trashbin and can still be recovered.

It's possible you tried XWiki a long time ago. It has progressed a lot in the past year.

-Vincent Massol
    Thanks, I will take a deeper look. What I like about it, is that it is based on technologies stack I know: Java+Struts+Velocity. When I tried to read MediaWiki sources I had a shock for its PHP mess. I also liked the way images are uploaded. There was one point I did not find: multiline numbered lists (like in Word). I mean smth like: 1. First Some multiline text 2. Second Some more text 3. Third ... It is important for me because it is the main form of our project docs.
  9. Re: Re: Choosin wiki for project[ Go to top ]

There was one point I did not find: multiline numbered lists (like in Word). I mean smth like:
    1. First
    Some
    multiline
    text
    2. Second
    Some
    more
    text
    3. Third
    It is important for me because it is the main form of our project docs.
    Yes this is possible. You'd use the following (hope it'll print fine): # First
    Some
    multiline
    text # Second
    Some
    more
    text # Third You can see it here: Result: http://playground.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Test/MultilineTest Content: http://playground.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Test/MultilineTest?viewer=code&showlinenumbers=0& The best is to join us on the XWiki user mailing list if you have other questions. We'd be happy to help you there. Alternatively you can also talk to XWiki users and developers on our IRC channel. All info on http://dev.xwiki.org/. Thanks -Vincent
  10. Re: Xwiki is kinda confusing[ Go to top ]

There is a new user/rights management system in XWiki 1.2, allowing to pick users and rights with a point and click UI. It even scalles to tens of thousand of users using AJAX searching. Concerning what you said about wanting a flexible wiki to build other appplications and prefering to write the App in Java, well not everybody can write an app in Java, especially when you need to write a user/right management, a skin, a storage system, a web service api, etc.. And most importantly you would have very week links between the Wiki content and the App content and this is the whole point of building the App or integrating the App (using web services) in the Wiki. This will get you the content linked in the Wiki and allow you to use App pages in the same way you would use Wiki pages for your links. Many many companies are using XWiki in production use. I don't know which version you looked at but maybe you should have another look. Ludovic XWiki Founder
  11. Actrually...[ Go to top ]

I know, and I see where you're heading with the system. I think the xwiki system has a lot of promise, but if I don't complain some and view it with a critical eye, then it might go the way of Lotus Notes. I think if the system is either easier to use / has high quality documentation, *AND* you can get other developers to build some cool drop-in modules, then people will gravitate to it. It's good to know the user management interface has been reworked too. I'd challenge you on this moving forward: give multiple applications like wiki, blog, and photo gallery, how can you make it easier to integrate those together using xwiki than you could using separate applications on a server integrated using HTML? (excluding user/rights management... I mean from the user experience, not the sys admin experience). Thanks for the reply though, and good luck on the project. I had tried xwiki FIRST though, and almost selected it. We needed something up quick, fast, and temporary, but now the wiki is permanent. lol. I'll give it another look before just going the Confluence way.
  12. Answer to the challenge[ Go to top ]

I think I can already partially anser to the challenge: "give multiple applications like wiki, blog, and photo gallery, how can you make it easier to integrate those together using xwiki than you could using separate applications on a server integrated using HTML? (excluding user/rights management... I mean from the user experience, not the sys admin experience)." - wiki syntax and editor wherever you edit a textarea: when you write a blog article you can link to wiki or photo album pages more easily, especially using the link finder of the wysiwyg editor. You can use wiki syntax also for images etc (same usability in all tools). The description of your photo album can also link to wiki content. - this also means your photo albums and blog articles are linkable using the link button in the editor. This is true for linking to user profils which are shared. - merged list of whats new and rss feeds (wiki, blog, photo albums). Merged list on your wiki home page. That's what is already there. Now what could also be added is creation integration between the wiki or photo album and the blog: when you save your page, it prepares you automatically something to push in your blog.
  13. right-to-left and arabic[ Go to top ]

Does it have arabic and right-to-left support? أهلا و سهلا Apparently this forum doesn't have right-to-left suport