WSO2 goes all RESTy

Discussions

News: WSO2 goes all RESTy

1. WSO2 goes all RESTy (12 messages)

WSO2 has been seen as a strongly WS-* technology company, but the two year-end releases from the company show a new angle on SOA. The first release - the WSO2 Mashup Server 1.0beta - is a lightweight personal mashup server. It can either be run on your own laptop or as a hosted server. So what is the Mashup Server? It's a simple, easy to use runtime for pulling together feeds, web pages, Web Services (both SOAP and REST), and whatever other data you have out there into re-usable Mashups. How do you do it? Just write a little JavaScript and deploy it. The mashups can expose themselves as Atom feeds, or send IMs or emails. You can build simple Ajax UIs too. And its managed with a simple and productive Web UI. Some of the examples are really fun - for example TomatoTube which takes the top 10 movies from RottenTomatoes and mashes it up with YouTube to give you a feed of the trailers. You don't even need to download it - try it out live here. Also released just before Christmas is the WSO2 Registry 0.1. This early release demonstrates a completely REST-based approach to storing, searching and managing SOA metadata. The Registry stores any kind of resource in a simple JDBC driven store, and uses AtomPub as a web API to allow publishing and searching. The Registry has been deliberately designed to bring social interaction to the world of SOA metadata by including tagging, comments, rating and a wiki-like approach to SOA registries. So does this mean an about face for WSO2? Of course there is the famous April 1st blog from Sanjiva, but you can't take that seriously! I don't think you will see WSO2 dropping SOAP anytime soon, but these releases certainly signal a broader approach to SOA than just WS-*. [Editor's note: Paul is going to be speaking at TSSJS 2008, as a recognized authority on Web Services and SOA. He'll be giving a presentation on Apache Synapse.]

Threaded Messages (12)

2. Re: WSO2 goes all RESTy[ Go to top ]

Very interesting, this certainly isn't a bad move as most of the serious players switched to or used REST from the onset several years ago. Having never really been a big fan of everything WS-* I've always sided with REST which was also the preference in the banking world. I tried the examples but got "Safari can’t open the page “https:443” because it can’t find the server “”.", Mozilla was the same... "Firefox can't find the server at 443." Did I miss something or is there a "FM" I should "R"? I good move I think, -John-
  3. Re: REST[ Go to top ]

Actually our code has supported REST-like patterns from the start. But the Registry is the first product that is completely based on a REST model at this point. Which examples gave you the problem?
  4. Paul, I have a habit of checking an running example before diving in to any new thing. I wasn't able to access the TomatoTube example using the below link provided (tutorial resources). http://mashups.wso2.org/services/TomatoTube/ Its throwing an exception, please let me know if there is any specific way of accessing the above URL. The exception states: org.apache.axis2.AxisFault: The service cannot be found for the endpoint reference (EPR) /services/TomatoTube/
  5. The URL is wrong[ Go to top ]

Shiva, Here is the correct URL; http://mashups.wso2.org/services/samples/TomatoTube/ -- Azeez
  6. Can you please try http://mashups.wso2.org/services/samples/TomatoTube/. We have done few changes since the tutorial was published, and now the system has the service scripts categorized by user type. TomatoTube is a sample service which resides inside /services/samples. Sorry abt the inconvenience. The related documents are being updated to reflect the changes and new features. Thanks, Yumani
  7. Thanks[ Go to top ]

Excellent application,Its looks pretty cool. Thanks for the proper links.
  8. Registry[ Go to top ]

In the user guide under the wiki, the only persistence mechanism mentioned is through a datasource. Are there / will there be other ways to set up persistence? Ideally, I'd want to integrate with svn.
  9. James, Registry only supports datasource based persistence in this release. But we are planning to implement other persistence mechanisms including the svn integration in post 1.0 releases. Chathura
  10. James,

Registry only supports datasource based persistence in this release. But we are planning to implement other persistence mechanisms including the svn integration in post 1.0 releases.

Chathura
    That's great news. The tool looks promising. I think it needs a little polish but fundamentally, I like the design, especially the REST approach. Other things to consider would be a way to link to (or include) a wiki.
  11. Is there any plans to add reporting features in WSO2 registry? Moreover I find there is no option to set any custom attributes while adding a service into the registry?
  12. Funny stuff[ Go to top ]

In the user guide under the wiki, the only persistence mechanism mentioned is through a datasource. Are there / will there be other ways to set up persistence? Ideally, I'd want to integrate with svn. Funny stuff
  13. Great[ Go to top ]

That's really something. I always wanted to know more about the inside operations of WSO2 and it's overall functionality. I like the whole idea of the use of simple javascript to carry out these actions. Brilliant. redirect virus removal