Discussions

News: AjaxSwing 2.0 - AJAX front end for Swing applications

1. CreamTec is proud the announce that AjaxSwing 2.0 is available for download. AjaxSwing is a major improvement to WebCream that does all server communication via asynchronous JavaScript and uses partial page updates to reflect changes in the browser. Listed below are major new features and improvements
    • Product renamed to AjaxSwing
    • AJAX functionality for component rendering and asynchronous communication with the server
    • Asynchronous submit of client-side events and operations
    • Partial page updates only to changed components
    • Dramatic speed improvements in rendering and request processing
    • Row context menus in JTable (see TableSupport)
    • Custom node icons and context menus in JTree (see TreeSupport)
    • Improved scripts on UNIX platforms
    • Allow environment variables and directories of JARS in agent.classPath
    • Drop shadows are added to windows
    AjaxSwing is distributed under a dual license. It is licensed under GNU Public License for qualifying mature non-commercial open source projects. For commercial and closed-source uses, it is licensed under a proprietary commercial license. Both licenses provide access to full source code and privileges to contribute and commit code. AjaxSwing Home: http://www.creamtec.com/products/ajaxswing/ Online demos: http://www.creamtec.com/products/ajaxswing/demos.html Download: http://www.creamtec.com/products/ajaxswing/install/index.html

Threaded Messages (9)

2. Looks interesting...[ Go to top ]

The demo looks pretty good and I like the fact that you can just write standard Swing code. Couple of questions: 1.)Is there a road map for to-be implemented features? Drag/Drop support etc? 2.)I would assume the features that work in Swing but have yet to be implemented by AjaxSwing (for example, context menus) will simply be ignored? Mike
  3. Re: Looks interesting...[ Go to top ]

The demo looks pretty good and I like the fact that you can just write standard Swing code.
    Thank you!
    Couple of questions:
    1.)Is there a road map for to-be implemented features? Drag/Drop support etc?
    We have internal road map and we are going to publish it as a poll into the enhancements forum. There's also a forum where people post suggestions and requests for improvements. Lastly, anyone who's purchase a commercial license has a lot of leverage on getting enhancements in the product.
    2.)I would assume the features that work in Swing but have yet to be implemented by AjaxSwing (for example, context menus) will simply be ignored?

Mike
    Our goal is to provide 100% of the functionality of Swing. I think we are pretty close. We actually do support context menus - look at the Mail Client demo. The challenge here is that Swing is a very complex framework and the way people use it is even more complex:-) So sometimes we only get to know about AjaxSwing not behaving exactly like Swing when users report issues. When an issue is identified, it is generally quickly resolved and a patch is issued. As to how would the AjaxSwing behave when things are not supported - the answer is that it would depend. Most of the time as you mentioned something would simply not show up.
  4. Demos slow[ Go to top ]

Hi, It looks nice but the demos are very slow. It looks like the whole screen is refreshing if you do a simple action. Why? Regards
  5. Re: Demos slow[ Go to top ]

Hi,

It looks nice but the demos are very slow. It looks like the whole screen is refreshing if you do a simple action.
    Why?

Regards
    What is refreshing every time? It certainly shouldn't - all requests are made via Ajax. Only time you'll see full screen refresh is if something changed in the parent frame. To test this you can go to our Mail Client demo. When you click on a different folder in the tree, the table with emails and the selected email preview will refresh (but not the entire page). When you change the selection in the emails table, only the email preview will refresh. If that's not what you are seeing, can you describe your environment - browser, what demo you are viewing etc.
  6. Tested on Firefox and Opera[ Go to top ]

I tried it on both. On Firefox it works very well. However on Opera, it is VERY slow just to move a window. I'm not sure if this is an issue in code or with Opera, but I thought I'd let 'ya know. Looks nice though!
  7. Re: Tested on Firefox and Opera[ Go to top ]

I tried it on both. On Firefox it works very well. However on Opera, it is VERY slow just to move a window. I'm not sure if this is an issue in code or with Opera, but I thought I'd let 'ya know.

Looks nice though!
    We support all versions of IE and FF. Not sure what's going on with Opera but we'll take a look at why it's slow. Thanks for the feedback!
  8. Do AjaxSwing share one swing application instance for multiple users(browsers) or one instance for each one user(browser)?
  9. Do AjaxSwing share one swing application instance for multiple users(browsers) or one instance for each one user(browser)?
    Each user gets it's own "virtual" Swing application. It's done with the classloaders and threagroups, very similar to how servlet containers maintain webapps. To minimize overhead of class loading, the deployment model supports sharing .jars between users for code that is safe (doesn't use static instances for global variables) and having separate .jars for code that assumes only one user (simple but not as scalable).
  10. Rock on - really cool!