Discussions

News: Apache Lenya 2.0 Released

1. Apache Lenya 2.0 Released (16 messages)

The Apache Lenya development community is very proud to announce the 2.0 release of Apache Lenya. Apache Lenya is an Open Source Java/XML Content Management System and comes with revision control, site management, scheduling, search, WYSIWYG editors, and workflow. Apache Lenya is based on Apache Cocoon (http://cocoon.apache.org). You can use Cocoon features such as robust caching, multi-channel output, its many connectivity options to quickly build customized solutions to meet your specific needs that are not already covered by Apache Lenya today. Check out the Apache Lenya website (http://lenya.apache.org) for more information. The Apache Lenya Community New Features in Apache Lenya 2.0: Architecture - Modularization - Separation of API and implementation Storage and Content Model - Documents are referenced using UUIDs - Improved management of internal links - Configurable meta data element sets - New protocols simplify repository access Website Management - Publication templating for re-using common functionality in multiple publications - Create new publication instances via the GUI - Support for configurable publication properties Access Control - Explicitly deny permissions on particular pages Assets and Images - Assets and images are treated as documents - Image upload in source editor - SVG-based server-side image resizing Workflow and Versioning - Quickly manipulate multiple documents - Personal user inboxes - Function to override other users' check-out Miscellaneous Features - Various usability improvements - News / weblog module with RSS generation - Language selection widget - Dynamically generated layout images, e.g. round corners - Better and more flexible editor integration (work in progress) Development - Usecase framework to simplify the implementation of user interaction functionality - Improved repository API - Cleanup of the code base

Threaded Messages (16)

2. Port 9999[ Go to top ]

Hm, one might consider it somewhat bizarre to provide a public sandbox on a port like 9999.... Anyway, well done!
  3. Re: Port 9999[ Go to top ]

AFAIK that's due to the limitations of the Apache zones servers. Of course we could use an arbitrary different port, but 8888 is the default Jetty port (which had been used for the 1.2 demo) and now we're using 9999. -- Andreas
  4. Jackrabbit JSR170[ Go to top ]

Does it work with Jackrabbit? Is it JSR170 compliant? I checked the site but didn't see anything in this regard.
  5. Re: Jackrabbit JSR170[ Go to top ]

It was planned to use JSR-170 as a repository option. But the community decided that it is mandatory to keep providing the custom file-system based repository. We didn't have the resources yet to maintain both options, so we postponed the JSR-170 integration. -- Andreas
  6. Re: Jackrabbit JSR170[ Go to top ]

Ok thanks. Any road map for JSR170/Jackrabbit?
  7. Re: Jackrabbit JSR170[ Go to top ]

Ok thanks. Any road map for JSR170/Jackrabbit?
    AFAIK there's no official roadmap, at least it is not scheduled for a particular release. The JCR integration is on my personal wish list for a next major release, though. But since it requires quite a lot of time to implement this properly, it would probably need a large customer who is willing to finance it. -- Andreas
  8. Re: Apache Lenya 2.0 Released[ Go to top ]

Any CMS matrix like the application server matrix? I heard of Nuxeo, Alfresco, this Lenya, Livelink, Documentum .... and don't know what to choose for my needs.
  9. Re: Apache Lenya 2.0 Released[ Go to top ]

Thai Dang Vu, Check out http://www.cmsmatrix.org/ for a CMS matrix. By the way I found Daisy (http://cocoondev.org/daisy/index.html) using the matrix. Lenya was not as stable back then but I am unsure if thats changed.
  10. Re: Apache Lenya 2.0 Released[ Go to top ]

I heard of Nuxeo, Alfresco, this Lenya, Livelink, Documentum .... and don't know what to choose for my needs.
    Do you try with eXo ECM? Please visitwww.exoplatform.com for more detail
  11. Total frustration with competing apache projects!!! For some unknown reason apache projects always have competing and incompatible projects. The Lenya and Jackrabbit is just an obvious one! If the JSR standard has been approved and apache promotes to be a top domain project then WHY do they not have some say about minimum compatibility! This is beyond me! Any other company or organization will make great efforts to ensure the value of one product can be used by other products! If I download JBoss Portal I feel quite confident that it will work with JBoss AS. Maybe it just me but at some time I would like to see some real up life for organizations and not a major integration, redundant solution approach!! I like the given features of Lenya but also would like my CMS repository to be JSR compliant so I can access with other tools such as BPM engines or WebDav compliant applications. So all that being said… why does Lenya community think that JR integration is not important? And continue to support a proprietary API? And why do they not understand that a CMS system is a central part to most organizations infrastructure!! Do other developers out there feel the same way??
  12. Total frustration with competing apache projects!!! For some unknown reason apache projects always have competing and incompatible projects. The Lenya and Jackrabbit is just an obvious one! If the JSR standard has been approved and apache promotes to be a top domain project then WHY do they not have some say about minimum compatibility!
    I understand your concerns, but nevertheless I think that architectural decisions should be up to the individual projects.
    why does Lenya community think that JR integration is not important?
    We are aware of the importance of being JCR compliant. We just do not have the resources to implement this integration at the moment.
    And continue to support a proprietary API?
    And why do they not understand that a CMS system is a central part to most organizations infrastructure!!
    You might want to raise these questions on the Lenya developer list. From my point of view, the major reason is that the Lenya community isn't yet backed up by a big company which can invest a lot of development resources to achieve fundamental architecture changes.
  13. Any other company or organization will make great efforts to ensure the value of one product can be used by other products!
    You should check out www.microsoft.com. They do a good job of making sure everything works with everything else. You pay for it in other ways though. Slow product releases, expensive, bloat code, unnecessary complexity, etc.. If you are expecting Apache to act like a software corporation, then that is your fault not theirs.
  14. Slow product releases, expensive, bloat code, unnecessary complexity, etc..
    ... and things not always working with everything else. :)
  15. Total frustration with competing apache projects!!! For some unknown reason apache projects always have competing and incompatible projects.
    Do you complain about the same things when it comes to projects on google code or sourceforge?
  16. Do you complain about the same things when it comes to projects on google code or sourceforge?
    To put it in context, it really isn't fair to "complain" about any open source free software because it is just that ... free. However to put it in context, Apache has the notion of a PMC, so a group of people who should be guiding projects to interoperate. In reality they do nothing of the sort and simply guide each project as a separate concern. More projects join Apache fulfilling the same or similar role as existing projects and there is no effort to provide an architecture for interoperability/progression. SF has no such PMC. No idea about Google.
  17. However to put it in context, Apache has the notion of a PMC, so a group of people who should be guiding projects to interoperate.
    This is not exactly the PMC role to guarantee interopability between projects : "The PMC as a whole is the entity that controls the project, nobody else.". As you can see a PMC is managing a single project. However, it's good policy to 'talk' to similar projects within your buddies, and this is somehow what is done at Apache. The only reason why we don't see much projects interoperate is lack of time and lack of volunteers. So may be it's time for people who are using ASF projects on a daily basis and who complain about their 'deficiencies' to consider participating a little bit more :)