Book: Java EE 5 Development using GlassFish, David Heffelfinger

Discussions

Reviews: Book: Java EE 5 Development using GlassFish, David Heffelfinger

1. "Java EE 5 Development using GlassFish Application Server" written by David R. Heffelfinger has recently been published by Packt Publishing and is intended to guide developers "through the development and deployment of Java EE 5 compliant applications on GlassFish version 2". The book assumes that the reader has experience of Java but no previous knowledge of Java EE or J2EE. As such, this is a great book for developers who are new to this arena. The book starts with an overview of what GlassFish is, what its competitors are and why we should use GlassFish. The introduction continues to provide details of how to download, install and verify GlassFish and finishes by exploring some of the management tasks associated with GlassFish such as managing domains, creating connection pools and configuring datasources. Several sections of the book cover web development, including chapters on Servlets, JSPs, the JSP standard tag library and JSF. These chapters take the reader from initial concepts such as "What is a servlet?" and gradually build up on their knowledge by describing how to build JSF applications. Database connectivity is covered in the book, however this assumes that the reader has some experience of SQL. The book starts by covering JDBC and how this can be used from within Java EE applications, and continues to discuss the Java Persistence API (JPA). This includes details on how to configure entity relationships with JPA, such as one-to-one and many-to-many relationships. After details and examples on how to use JPA, the reader is shown how to integrate JSF and JPA. Moving away from web development, the book describes the Java Message Service (JMS) and how queues and topics can be defined within GlassFish and then accessed via Java code. This is taken further in the section on enterprise beans where the book discusses Message Driven Beans and how they interact with the application server. This section on enterprise beans also includes details about session beans and discusses life cycles, transactions and security. Security is discussed in detail and explanations are provided regarding what security realms are within GlassFish and how they can be configured. Details are included about the file, certificate, LDAP, Solaris, JDBC and custom realms. The final aspect of Java EE discussed within the book is web services. This chapter discusses how to create, deploy and test JAX-WS web services and includes details on sending attachments from web service methods and securing web services. The final chapter of the book takes the reader beyond the Java EE standard and describes additional 3rd party technologies, namely Facelets, Ajax4jsf and Seam and describes how applications developed with these technologies can be deployed to GlassFish. This is a highly recommended book for developers who are new to Java EE 5 development and the GlassFish Application Server.

Threaded Messages (7)

2. Looks Good[ Go to top ]

This looks a good book, any reviews?
  3. Does anyone know the author?[ Go to top ]

Is he well known, respect, etc ... The more I buy and use computer books the more I became so conscience about the importance of picking the author before picking the book.
  4. Of note is that the publisher has made an online edition available for free at http://java-ee-5-glassfish.packtpub.com/index.htm Thanks! Cheers, Jim
  5. Nevermind -- it's just the TOC... Jim
  6. Re: Looks Good[ Go to top ]

Well, there's this one.... What's truly odd is that I'd written up a review myself, and I was going to post it today. David beat me to it, so he won. It *is* a good book. It covers most of Java EE, although not in great depth - what would you expect, out of a single book? - and he tends to point out Glassfish-specifics throughout the book where appropriate. The security chapter especially stands out because of this. I like the book.
  7. Re: Looks Good[ Go to top ]

Book Review: (I wrote this on Amazon.com, but since you asked for it) To get right to the issue, if you are new to Glassfish and Java EE than this book is for you. It does a great job of covering all the major topics of the J2EE Server, JPA, EJB 3.0, JMS, WebServices, and Security. I was not too happy to see the Glassfish apptool used throughout the book, since that is not a part of the J2EE Standard toolset. Also the discussions of jsp, and the JavaServer Pages Standard Tag Library is overkill, and not used as much in preference for Java Server Faces, and AJAX related technology. If the author is was going to list the commandline tool (Great for system admins), should also show the easy integration with Netbeans 6 as well. but I guess the book would be 100 more pages. Where the book lacks is in detail hints, and configuration setup. Such as Glassfish Clustering, JMS Queue Management, Management, Monitoring, Logging or connecting to Load Balancers or Web Servers. It is also hard to write a book on Glassfish without including Netbeans, which works so well with Glassfish services. I think the upcomming Netbeans 6.0 Book, should also be required to close the development circle to being productive with this tool set. The Pair of tools Netbeans 6.0 and Glassfish, is as powerful of a combination I have found. The best of the Opensource free development tools, because of the close tie to the Java Enterprise Edition Standard. I think the Author and reviewers did a great job in presenting the information. It just seams like another book for detailed Glassfish Implementations should be created. The Sun Manuals are dry even by my Sun Certified Web/Bus/Service standards. They were not meant the explain why you need to set the options or why should you care about it, whereas books like this gives you a reason to care. We as a community are taking this App server mainstream and better documentation and books there are out there, is the key to the promotion of such a great product that everyone has spent time making. Go Glassfish, it's a great product. Glassfish is my favorite to develop, and second on my list for production environments, basically because of documentation (And Cluster) issues.
  8. Book Review[ Go to top ]

I have done a book review and posted it on my blog and on Amazon. Here is a link to my review. http://javaevangelist.blogspot.com/2008/02/book-review-java-ee-5-development-using.html