Shades of HotJava: LoboBrowser, a web browser in Java

Discussions

News: Shades of HotJava: LoboBrowser, a web browser in Java

1. JavaLobby posted a news item about LoboBrowser, a full-Java web browser. It's not HotJava, but does run JavaScript (which, if memory serves, HotJava did not.) A full-Java browser project - working and installable - is great stuff, even if it can't render TSS very well. :) It also has a rendering engine, Cobra, which can be used to watch the DOM of a page even after JavaScript has been run over it. One can see this integrated into IDEs, for example, to provide browser support without having to have explicit browser tie-ins...
  2. One can see this integrated into IDEs, for example, to provide browser support without having to have explicit browser tie-ins...
    Well, I would rather prefer a tie to one widely used browser so at least I can be sure that my stuff works in this commonly used browser :)
  3. One can see this integrated into IDEs, for example, to provide browser support without having to have explicit browser tie-ins...

Well, I would rather prefer a tie to one widely used browser so at least I can be sure that my stuff works in this commonly used browser :)
    Which version? Or should I say sub-version.
  4. ..

Which version? Or should I say sub-version.
    two minor versions back from the latest and the greatest version of a browser that is the most compatible with the previous to the current versions of HTML, CSS, and JScript :)
  5. Some observations[ Go to top ]

It is a good start and is long overdue. However, I tries to run this program with the following observations: 1) Does now work on Yahoo (Some Redirect error) 2) Mouse does not turn into a hand over links 3) Ctr-Enter should complete URL 4) Fonts look really ugly under Linux. Firefox looks fine 4) It does feel fast when it works. I think that 0.97 is a very high version number for what I tried.
  6. Very cool[ Go to top ]

Excellent start on the browser side. This is LONG overdue I think.
    I think that 0.97 is a very high version number for what I tried.
    LOL... what?
  7. Oh yes it did...[ Go to top ]

HotJava 3.0 did have support for JavaScript. I know because I was the one that put it in there. We integrated the Rhino engine from Netscape into HJ shortly before the project went on to a more or less permanent hiatus from development. It was a fun thing to work on though, and definitely taught me a lot inside out about how the web works.
  8. Which brings us to the obvious question[ Go to top ]

Why hasn't anyone ported FireFox to Java yet?
  9. Re: Which brings us to the obvious question[ Go to top ]

Some [sort of] has - JRex.
  10. Why hasn't anyone ported FireFox to Java yet?
    Don't you know about JadeLiquid's WebRenderer? It is present for years :) Unfortunately it is not free...