Discussions

News: MuleSource releases Mule Galaxy, open source governance platform

1. MuleSource has released the first version of Mule Galaxy, their open source SOA governance platform with integrated registry/repository. Galaxy provides a wide range of governance, registry and repository features -- including artifact, lifecycle, and dependency management, along with the ability to enforce governance policies, collaborate on and discover services. This release of Galaxy includes:
    • An artifact and metadata repository with built in recognition for Mule configurations, WSDLs, XML schemas, WS-Policy documents, and Spring configurations.
    • Search and the Galaxy query language: Galaxy has an SQL-like syntax for querying artifacts based on their metadata and content. Easily search for artifacts which have a particular Mule endpoint, WSDL service, XML schema type, and much more.
    • Policy Enforcement: The ability to apply enforce policies across artifacts in the repository. For example, enforce WS-I BasicProfile compliance on your web services or require SSL ecnrypted endpoints inside Mule.
    • Dependency management: See who is consuming artifacts and make informed decisions about the future development of them.
    • Lifecycle management: Galaxy provides some workflow-like features so that appropriate actions can be taken at various points in an artifact/service’s lifecycle.
    • Integration: Included is integration with a number of open source products including Mule, Apache CXF and Spring. Discover and find necessary configurations with Mule. Or build a set of global runtime poclies and apply them to your services with CXF.
    • RESTFul Atom Publishing Protocol API: Add and manipulate artifacts in the repository, view artifact history and view comments through a simple HTTP based interface.
    For more information see: What are your thoughts on SOA governance? Have you implemented any SOA governance initiatives or products inside your organization? How have they fared?
  2. Some blog comments on this[ Go to top ]

If you are interested in some of the blog comments on this, Anne Thomas Manes has blogged: "Following closely on the heels of WSO2, MuleSource (the commercial entity behind Mule, the popular open source ESB) has released another RESTful open source registry/repository." http://apsblog.burtongroup.com/2008/01/mulesource-rele.html I've also commented: http://pzf.fremantle.org/2008/01/mule-launches-registry.html and Dan D (the author of the Mule code) has commented).
  3. I think you missed the second sentence of ATM's blog post: "This new product, called Galaxy, is a bit more feature complete and mature than the WSO2 repository." You might also enjoy this quote. http://searchsoa.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid26_gci1293867,00.html "If you're not willing to spend half a million dollars on a repository, then I think this (Mule Galaxy) is very valuable option because it will help you keep track of information," said Manes. "Certainly you can position it as an alternative to Systinet." Shouldn't we all be happy that open source companies are targeting a new market that has been dominated by one proprietary vendor? Wait, that's a lot less fun than sniping. Sorry for the suggestion.
  4. Touche! I think its excellent that OSS companies are exploring this space, and I think its excellent that we have both taken a very similar approach.