Discussions

News: ZeroTurnaround Releases JSP Weaver 1.0

1. ZeroTurnaround Releases JSP Weaver 1.0 (21 messages)

JSPWeaver interprets the JSP markup on-the-fly instead of producing and compiling Java code. This reduces JSP reload times in development from tens of seconds to milliseconds. The final release incorporates performance and stability improvements. JSP Weaver now supports the full JSP standard including common syntax, XML syntax and Java scriplets and is completely container-agnostic. Installing JSP Weaver is as easy as dropping a JAR into WEB-INF/lib and registering the servlet in web.xml: weaverServlet com.zeroturnaround.jspweaver.JspInterpretingServlet 1 weaverServlet *.jsp Download it from ZeroTurnaround and give it a try. Disclaimer: JSP Weaver is commercial software with a free trial for 21 days and developer seat cost at 49$.

Threaded Messages (21)

2. Sounds cool! Does it support the JSP tag files feature? The thing where you put .tag files under WEB-INF/tags thanks, Ioannis
  3. why not in the JDK already?[ Go to top ]

If only Google could buy this company and bring this into JDK 7.
  4. If only Google could buy this company and bring this into JDK 7.
    You are 110% right. Everybody talks about closures, dynamic/static types and such stuff, but the real big advantage of LAMP (dynamic) languages is the continous flow. We must add this to Java!!! Buy this company: JavaRebel!
  5. The company can be bought[ Go to top ]

one should only contact them - there is definitely a possibility to buy it if the price is right.
  6. Re: The company can be bought[ Go to top ]

The same could be said for pretty much anything. ;-)
  7. Re: The company can be bought[ Go to top ]

The same could be said for pretty much anything. ;-)
    Nope. I'm not for sale! I only give myself away for free ;)
  8. Sounds cool!

Does it support the JSP tag files feature? The thing where you put .tag files under WEB-INF/tags

thanks,
    Ioannis
    I know for sure that it supports .tagx (XML-style), I have to ask about the .tag on Monday.
  9. I am not entirely sure I can understand the added value of this product. When I develop a web application using JSP usually I link my project's filesystem to JBoss. It then hot-deploys (in a few tenths of seconds) the new page and I am then ready to test it. Isn't interpreting the JSP page on-the-fly affecting the overall performances of the application itself? Can someone tell me what I am missing?
  10. When I develop a web application using JSP usually I link my project's filesystem to JBoss. It then hot-deploys (in a few tenths of seconds) the new page and I am then ready to test it.
    Different containers have very different JSP containers, some of them take up to 10 secs to compile a new page, esp. if it has includes. I guess you are just lucky not to need it with your container and project, we developed it because for us it was a problem.
  11. It doens't support JSP2.1[ Go to top ]

Reading their website, this product doens't support JSP 2.1, that is latest specification. Tomcat6 is finally implementing 2.1 version, so why should we be constrainted by this product? And also, you can always pre-compile your JSPs, in deploy. Another note: If you experiment this issues with JSPs, why continue to use this obsolete technology? ;) Today, templating view technologies like verlocity or Facelets (for JSF) are giving a proof of their superiority.
  12. Re: It doens't support JSP2.1[ Go to top ]

If you experiment this issues with JSPs, why continue to use this obsolete technology? ;)
    Today, templating view technologies like verlocity or Facelets (for JSF) are giving a proof of their superiority.
    Well, there is a lot legacy applications that will use JSPs into the next decade even if nothing new would be written in JSP.
  13. Re: It doens't support JSP2.1[ Go to top ]

Velocity and Facelets do superseed JSPs??? you must be kidding! JSP is the underlaying layer for all those technologies
  14. Re: It doens't support JSP2.1[ Go to top ]

Velocity and Facelets do superseed JSPs???
    you must be kidding! JSP is the underlaying layer for all those technologies
    I don't think JSP is the underlying layer for Velocity. You can use velocity template engine without any JSP technologies and even faster than JSP.
  15. Re: It doens't support JSP2.1[ Go to top ]

Velocity and Facelets do superseed JSPs???
    you must be kidding! JSP is the underlaying layer for all those technologies
    Absolutely not. Not for Facelets (it is purely xml based, I think the whole facelets source code doens't import any JSP package ;)), and nor for Velocity. You are probably confusing them with Tiles...
  16. Interesting thing... particularily when we deploy on server with bad and inprevisible jsp compiler like the Oracle one. But this is really not the kind of thing I'm gonna pay for... Open source rules... I prefer find a way to integrate jasper in my war application.
  17. Fails on Tomcat JSP 2.0 examples[ Go to top ]

JSPWeaver was easy to install, but it doesn't work on many of Tomcat's JSP 2.0 examples, such as Basic Comparisons, Functions, Hello World Tag, Repeat Tag, Display Products Example and others. Is this a known problem? Those are pretty basic JSPs...
  18. JSPWeaver was easy to install, but it doesn't work on many of Tomcat's JSP 2.0 examples, such as Basic Comparisons, Functions, Hello World Tag, Repeat Tag, Display Products Example and others. Is this a known problem? Those are pretty basic JSPs...
    The Tomcat 5.5 examples are part of our test case, so they work for sure (and we retried them just in case). However some of the Tomcat 6 examples do fail, due to a very simple and annoying bug (basically "variable-class" in the tag library mapping was assumed to be required, whereas by the standard it defaults to "java.lang.String"). We do have quite a few users and a test suite, but variables are so esoteric that noone hit this problem before. Will be fixed in 1.0.1 release.
  19. Yes I am running TC 6.0.14. I don't want to beat a dead horse, but Basic Comparisons fails with an EL evaluation problem, not the variable-class issue. This EL problem is best seen by viewing the page source: Could not evaluate expression '${1 &lt; 2}' of type 'String' java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not evaluate expression '${1 &lt; 2}' of type 'String' at ... Caused by: javax.servlet.jsp.el.ELException: Encountered "&", expected one of ["}", ".", ">", "gt", "<"lt", "==", "eq", "<=", "le", ">=", "ge", "!=", "ne", "[", "+", "-", "*", "/", "div", "%", "mod", "and", "&&", "or", "||", "?"] ... The expression was escaped but is being sent to commons.el for evaluation anyway. Don't you also see this problem in TC 6.0.14?
  20. Don't get it[ Go to top ]

Compiling only happens the first time around. In production, you can have all your jsp files precompiled. While developing jsp pages, I am not concerned aboout a second or two. Plus, I constantly change my jsp pages and hitt the reload button on my browser. What am I missing?
  21. Re: Don't get it[ Go to top ]

Compiling only happens the first time around. In production, you can have all your jsp files precompiled. While developing jsp pages, I am not concerned aboout a second or two. Plus, I constantly change my jsp pages and hitt the reload button on my browser. What am I missing?
    Why should you constantly wait?
  22. Re: Don't get it[ Go to top ]

If the templating of your project is so complex that you have to wait for 60-80 seconds for full JSP/tag compilation, then its worth.