What are the advantages of using Groovy in your Spring projects ? This blog entry aims to get you up to speed on the subject, including numerous code listings.
You may be saying "Why should I care? I can do the same thing in Java!" You would be correct. This is not meant to supplant Java but rather complement it. Integrating a dynamic language such as Groovy into your enterprise development gives you a new level of flexibility and configurability that was not there before (or at least requires additional steps to work smoothly). You can use this approach in several scenarios - Configuration: Use Groovy beans to capture configuration rules for your system or for your business logic including page flow, process flow, etc. - Business Rules: some business logic tend to change. You can use Groovy to - Handle Event: Use Groovy to react to system or application events (i.e. if inventory falls below a level, send email. This works well in conjunction with JMX) - Validation: validation rules is another context susceptible to changes. Capturing your validation in Groovy lets you adjust to your business needs. - Expose Edge Services: these are the services that expose functionalities at the boundaries of your system (i.e. MVC controllers, web services, REST services, etc). See project Grails
Read the entire post on Spring and Groovy with code samples: http://vladimirvivien.com/blogs/ot/2008/02/spring-is-groovy-if-you-dont-use-spring.html