Discussions

News: IONA Open Source: Disbanded After Acquisition?

1. Rumor is that IONA is being acquired by another company, most likely Software AG. The interesting part is that the investment banking firm working the deal has been shopping IONA's open source group and intellectual property to competitors in the infrastructure/middleware arena. Software AG wants to double its size within 5 years, pitting itself against Oracle, IBM, and other middleware leaders. The IONA acquisition makes sense in that context. Software AGs business model has no room for an open source entity, as they have made it clear from the last year. Letting go of IONA's open source arm after acquiring them makes sense for them. [Editor's note: What? Software AG joined Eclipse last year - while open source may not factor in with their overall business model, this statement's a little strong to back up on casual research. Any explanations?] Does this mean that the open source business model has peaked? Is the tide changing for open source business models to the point where they aren't attractive to larger players? Will angel investors and venture firms take a harder attitude toward financing open source upstarts? What about the people working for IONA's open source? Where will they go? Is this a great time for their competitors to hire IONA's open source talent? Will any of the open source companies buy and continue to grow IONA's open source business? [Editor's note: two companies with significant open-source operations have confirmed, under condition of anonymity, that they were offered this spin-off by the investment bankers brokering the deal.]

Threaded Messages (17)

2. Software AG wants to double its size within 5 years, pitting itself against Oracle, IBM, and other middleware leaders. The IONA acquisition makes sense in that context. Software AGs business model has no room for an open source entity, as they have made it clear from the last year. Letting go of IONA's open source arm after acquiring them makes sense for them.

[Editor's note: What? Software AG joined Eclipse last year - while open source may not factor in with their overall business model, this statement's a little strong to back up on casual research. Any explanations?]
    Read the Software AG press releases from the last six months. Look at their products and services catalog. Read your own posting. Contributing to Eclipse, a non-competing product that their programmers probably use in-house, does not make them a business that supports open source projects or that makes them part of their strategy. All indications are that they are as non-open as they come. Richard Bishop "I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt, and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." -- John Steinbeck
  3. [Editor's note: What? Software AG joined Eclipse last year - while open source may not factor in with their overall business model, this statement's a little strong to back up on casual research. Any explanations?]
    Read the Software AG press releases from the last six months. Look at their products and services catalog. Read your own posting. Contributing to Eclipse, a non-competing product that their programmers probably use in-house, does not make them a business that supports open source projects or that makes them part of their strategy. All indications are that they are as non-open as they come.
    You could have said the same thing about IONA not that long ago - same for IBM, same for most software shops opening stuff up lately. Just because they don't have huge open source offerings doesn't mean they're diametrically opposed to open source.
  4. Joseph, I have to say this is the sort of article that brings me back to TSS. I tend to skip the 30 odd product placements every week and stick to either interesting technical discussions or fab industry gossip. So I wouldn't be too harsh on Richard! I think any article that starts with the words rumor or gossip can be given a little leeway :-) Anyway, interesting gossip.
  5. You could have said the same thing about IONA not that long ago - same for IBM, same for most software shops opening stuff up lately. Just because they don't have huge open source offerings doesn't mean they're diametrically opposed to open source.
    Yep. Plus, reading press releases is just about the worst way in the world of getting inside the mindset of a given company. If you look at the SOA market, Software AG would probably like to see the enterprise service bus reduced to open source commodity status and then sell management software on top of it. I would think that open source developer functionality that can plug into licensed-based infrastructure management would be right up Software AG's alley. IBM's heading that way too. Big Blue should be throwing a coming out party for the REST-based Project Zero next week.
  6. I smell an astroturfer. Richard Bishop my foot!
  7. Will any of the open source companies buy and continue to grow IONA's open source business?
    Do you know of any deals recently involving the purchase of an open source company by another open source company with actual money other than "if we band together we can hyper.it up more and hopefully get bought out by the guys with the real bucks". Obviously I am excluding RedHat here. William
  8. It seems that we are again treating OSS as some sort of religion that has to be excluded from the real-life. Open source is a licensing choice. Period. Everything else is a regular business: you have to market the product, sell services around it and make money. Dynamics of OSS-based businesses are different (they are slower to grow) but the end result should be the same: money earned and growth or shutdown. In this light I have no idea what IONA’s open source business is all about. IONA has a dozen of developers committing to some OSS project like Fuse, ServiceMix and ActiveMQ (James Strachan’s influence is obvious). They probably sell some small measure of services around these projects. And? I’m certain that most of the revenue comes from Artix and good old Orbix and OSS story was just a bandwagon they wanted to jump in when it was fashionable. It’s hard to sell something that you don’t have… My $0.02, Nikita Ivanov. GridGain - Grid Computing Made Simple
  9. Nikita -
    In this light I have no idea what IONA’s open source business is all about. IONA has a dozen of developers committing to some OSS project like Fuse, ServiceMix and ActiveMQ [..] I’m certain that most of the revenue comes from Artix and good old Orbix and OSS story was just a bandwagon they wanted to jump in when it was fashionable.
    I think if you look closely you will find that Artix (for example) uses some of those projects under the hood, so there is likely a reason to it .. At any rate, best wishes to those involved. Peace, Cameron Purdy Oracle Coherence: Data Grid for Java, C++ and .NET
  10. Rumor is that IONA is being acquired by another company, most likely Software AG. The interesting part is that the investment banking firm working the deal has been shopping IONA's open source group and intellectual property to competitors in the infrastructure/middleware arena.
    So far as I know, has "Software AG" never confirmed any of this rumores. The question is: What is real on this story ? I hope that IONA can continous as it is. Roland SOA Competence Network
  11. Rumor is that IONA is being acquired by another company, most likely Software AG. The interesting part is that the investment banking firm working the deal has been shopping IONA's open source group and intellectual property to competitors in the infrastructure/middleware arena.
    So far as I know, has "Software AG" never confirmed any of this rumores. The question is: What is real on this story ?

I hope that IONA can continous as it is.
    It's hard to say - rumor is rumor. Chances are that if you ask Iona or Software AG, they'd deny fiercely - as required by US law - and would continue to deny any acquisition until after deal was actually executed. There's no real point in even asking them, honestly - this rumor seems to have legs, but it's *only* a rumor.
  12. It's hard to say - rumor is rumor. Chances are that if you ask Iona or Software AG, they'd deny fiercely - as required by US law - and would continue to deny any acquisition until after deal was actually executed. There's no real point in even asking them, honestly - this rumor seems to have legs, but it's *only* a rumor.
    Dead silence since many weeks - that can't be a good sign. Maybe some of the guys would say some associated words here - but we must understand, that this is absolutely impossible according to their positions and at this point. Roland
  13. Any news from James Strachan..[ Go to top ]

?
  14. ?
    Poorly content for a reply on a worthwhile thread. But a look to some interested pages, shows very well some "news" from James Strachan: He is working very hard - as usual - in a lot of Apache Open Source Projects and some of his other activities. Maybe "Time Passx" or "?" or ... will also participate and help in some of this Projects ?
  15. You're not going to see a whole lot of replies on here IONA people, I'm going to get in trouble for this but I can take it. The question of acquisition is pure speculation and no one is going to comment on that, the facts were made available as IONA press releases in Jan and there is nothing anyone else knows beyond that. The question of future of open source is a great discussion topic but given the title of this thread it's not going to see any input from IONA. Jo, if you want to spin off a new thread I think you'll find some enthusiastic input but this thread will hit legal barriers for many of those involved. -John-
  16. You're not going to see a whole lot of replies on here IONA people, I'm going to get in trouble for this but I can take it.

The question of acquisition is pure speculation and no one is going to comment on that, the facts were made available as IONA press releases in Jan and there is nothing anyone else knows beyond that.

The question of future of open source is a great discussion topic but given the title of this thread it's not going to see any input from IONA.

Jo, if you want to spin off a new thread I think you'll find some enthusiastic input but this thread will hit legal barriers for many of those involved.

-John-
    Sometimes are good informations and good discussions not so bad - when they are based exclusively on real facts and excludes completely personally and delicate content. But - nobody can expect this in a public forum with the participation of people with very distinct mentalities, attitudes and purposes. Previously, I had already described my opinion over this speculations and understand very good the position and situation of the associated people. I think the discussion should continue at this day, when the facts are real and clearly putting on the table. Roland
  17. Re: Any news from James Strachan..[ Go to top ]

I wish James good luck. I have been using many of his works for quite sometime. I am happy as long as a merger/ takeover from IONA etc does not affect the open source stacks.
  18. will also participate and help in some of this Projects?
    I updated a few documentation/ wiki pages in http://servicemix.apache.org while ago :)