IBM releases Project Zero, AKA WebSphere sMash: where Hulk?

Discussions

News: IBM releases Project Zero, AKA WebSphere sMash: where Hulk?

1. From SearchSOA: IBM has released the REST-based development and deployment environment called Project Zero, also known as "WebSphere sMash." Project Zero creates a runtime environment for REST services, exposing services via Dojo. As the name implies, it's designed to help create mashups and deploy them quickly. It has an emphasis on scripting languages, so you can use it with Java, PHP, Groovy, et al; implementation is done through "handlers," similar to servlets, where handlers implement methods corresponding to HTTP commands (PUT, GET, DELETE, POST, etc.) The download is for a community version, however; according to SearchSOA, the full version will be available on a license model. Interesting tidbits from the originating article:
    Joining sMash in the Web 2.0 offering mix is a new product called IBM Mashup Center, designed for non-technical line of business users. It combines Lotus Mashups technology on the front end with the InfoSphere MashupHub on the back end. Larry Bowden, vice president of portals and Web interaction hubs at Lotus, said the product is designed to put mashup technology in the hands of knowledge workers, enabling them to pull information out of enterprise applications (like ERP and CRM) and combine that with market data and other 3rd party applications. "The differentiator is we know where all that information is at," Bowden said, noting that mashup development has become a hotbed for venture capital investment. A visual wizard tool will allow users to create RESTful services and widgets without having to know specific programming languages.
    It's always good to see excellent grammer from IBM - it makes one happy to know where one's educational funds are going to. Another interesting feature is that the Project Zero application builder is itself a Zero application. For once, it requires FireFox 2 instead of some whack-job version of IE. (That said, it also failed to run with JRockit; the Sun JVM worked fine.) It uses Ivy to pull down dependencies, which can be very useful for team development; the demo application is an employee management application that's loaded from the zero repository, which itself has some very cool implications. Project Zero is installed by downloading a small zip file, and then executing a shell script; it downloads the rest on demand. It looks like very cool stuff, and the deployment is very light (although "light" here is anecdotal; your mileage may vary!); it's an interesting switch on a RESTful development environment, able to mix and match scripting languages at will.
  2. Exposing services via Dojo?[ Go to top ]

This isn't slowdown the entire solution?
  3. License[ Go to top ]

Considering simplicity, Project Zero in really impressive. Does anybody have any comment on its license?
  4. More points[ Go to top ]

WebSphere sMash is about situational application, where your customer needs a quick solution that mashups backend services inside and/or outside the company. On the technical point of view: - application is the server (opposite of J2EE) - event-based programming (all state is handled by the GlobalContext that could be distribuited) - an optimized runtime with the goal of running hundreds of jvm Ciao, Diego
  5. I've been following Project Zero since the website went live. I've been impressed with the simplicity of developing and assembling services. --Robert p.s.--Would a comment about "grammer" be considered ironic?
  6. p.s.--Would a comment about "grammer" be considered ironic?
    One can only hope so. (Look, folks, removing the fourth wall: I'm not perfect, and I know it; if I'm going to poke fun at someone for using poor grammar, I'm going to do so with the awareness that I certainly can make the same mistakes - and there's no way I'm arrogant enough to point out someone else's mistake without acknowledging my own flaws. I purposefully used "grammer" and poor grammar in the same sentence. Intentionally, this time. I'm sure you can find other such mistakes on TSS from me that were unintentional.)