Discussions

News: JetGroovy 1.5 for IntelliJ IDEA is Out

1. JetGroovy 1.5 for IntelliJ IDEA is Out (10 messages)

JetBrains has recently announced the general availability of JetGroovy 1.5. This popular Groovy development plug-in for IntelliJ IDEA has been extended with a number of highly anticipated features:
    • Multiple new Groovy-aware refactorings
    • Extended Groovy coding assistance with support for dynamic properties and methods
    • Groovy-ready debugger that handles mixed Java and Groovy code
    • Smart GroovyDoc browser
    • Support for automatic testing with JUnit/TestNG
    • Improved Grails coding assistance with support for JavaScript and custom tags
    • Complete support for Grails plugins
    To learn more about Groovy/Grails support in IntelliJ IDEA, please visit the dedicated Features page. JetGroovy plug-in supports all of IntelliJ IDEA 7.0 releases, including 7.0.2 and 7.0.3. You can download it and find more information about it on its plugin page or via the IntelliJ IDEA Plug-in Manager. You might also be pleased to learn that starting from version 8.0 of IntelliJ IDEA Groovy/Grails support is going to be part of the standard distribution package, instead of being provided through a plug-in.
  2. Nice to hear that Intellij strive to be the best of the best. Now, I awaiting for Intellij to support Flex and to provide some strong competition to Flex Builder. Intellij ought to bring its expertise and power to Flex. What I like about Intellij is its no-nonsense approach to development, and work with less work. Hope that Intellij could provide a single click running and debugging of any MXML and Actionscript file without the need to create any configuration before hand. The crumblesome approach of having to create configuration/setting for any of Actionscript and MXML file prior to running consume time and is non-intuitive in Flex Builder. This area that likely to be improve in next version of FlexBuilder. Well done too, I find that Intellij is made for Groovy !
  3. 7.0.3 has Flex based features already: http://blogs.jetbrains.com/idea/2008/02/creating-flex-applications-with-intellij-idea/ http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/features/javascript_editor.html Not sure if they'll ever catch up on the GUI building side of the game, but Intellij has always been more "text" focused anyway. If you're writing Groovy with the Eclipse plugin, you owe it to yourself to at least try JetGroovy - it's pretty impressive, and can actually do decent code completion:). And the Grails support is like nothing Eclipse has. ---- Jon Chase Securely email large files to anyone http://www.SendAlong.com
  4. Nice to hear that Intellij strive to be the best of the best. Now, I awaiting for Intellij to support Flex and to provide some strong competition to Flex Builder.

Intellij ought to bring its expertise and power to Flex. What I like about Intellij is its no-nonsense approach to development, and work with less work.

Hope that Intellij could provide a single click running and debugging of any MXML and Actionscript file without the need to create any configuration before hand. The crumblesome approach of having to create configuration/setting for any of Actionscript and MXML file prior to running consume time and is non-intuitive in Flex Builder. This area that likely to be improve in next version of FlexBuilder.

Well done too, I find that Intellij is made for Groovy !
    What does Flex have to do with Intellij releasing a new Groovy plugin? Maybe you could title your comment "Wa Wa Wa I want a Flex plugin" so we can easily ignore it.
  5. What does Flex have to do with Intellij releasing a new Groovy plugin? Maybe you could title your comment "Wa Wa Wa I want a Flex plugin" so we can easily ignore it.
    +1
  6. Despite Intellij already support some feature of Flex, there is still some way to go before anyone will rely on Intellij totally on Flex application development. 1) GUI Designer The GUI building element is important to Intellij because it is hard to visualize the GUI interface using MXML for a start. For beginner, this is a must have. 2) Single-Click Run/debug I can't tell anyone how frustrating I am in running ActionScript and MXML in FlexBuilder. Some form of configuration need to be done in running them. My question is that if it is possible to just run them with a click of button without the prior to set configuration. Intellij currently do it for Java. Worse (maybe due to lack of experience using Flexbuilder), in FlexBuilder, sometimes you can actionscript, mxml, and sometimes you cannot, making it all the more confusing. Why not simply make all these runnable ? Ultimately, it is the final deliverable that matter. Could provide some usability here. 3)Code beautifier of Actionscript and MXML Intellij has this working ahead of Flexbuilder. This is amazing feature to be seen and it work with embedded script within MXML too. Now, hope to see tis next release of FlexBuilder 4) Manageable Project Structure In FlexBuilder, it is hard to separate the result SWF file from the source directory by default. If Intellij can do something similar to Flex like it did to Java, it will be great (eg , classes, src, out directories) 5) Adobe Air support 6) Testing using FlashPlayer running application not Web Browser (heavy resource) This are to me are some of features that will be great if it is implemented in Intellij 8.
  7. IDEA 8 is indeed expanding their flex support. The EAP is available: http://java.dzone.com/news/intellij-idea-80-eap-already-h It appears that at least one thing that you are concerned about is addressed (run/debug) http://www.jetbrains.net/confluence/display/IDEADEV/Diana+First+EAP+Release+Notes#DianaFirstEAPReleaseNotes-FlexSupport
  8. Congrats. In particular I love the underline feature for dynamic members. What is the state for the Builder support right now? - Hans -- Hans Dockter Gradle Project lead http://www.gradle.org
  9. It rocks![ Go to top ]

A couple of weeks ago, I started using the JetGroovy plugin to see what all the fuss is about (I've been writing Seam applications for ~ 2 years). Anyway, I was able to convert a Seam (JPA) domain model to an Grails (GORM) domain model in a short while. The excellent JetGroovy plugin was a big factor in making the whole process easy. I'm very impressed with the easy + utility of Grails and the JetGroovy plugin makes 'doing' Groovy/Grails development in IDEA a pleasure! Great tools!
  10. Thank Mike, I actually install Intellij 8, and try it , and found that Flex run actually required ANT script, and yet to have debug. Intellij will improve its support for Flex eventually and FlexBuilder will be more user-friendly and feature-packed. Eric, you are right about putting topic focus on Groovy support rather than Flex. So this will be last post pertaining to Flex with suggested title :^> ... Have a good day
  11. It would be nice it has Aspect J support.