Discussions

News: Sun Microsystems Announces Mural: Open Master Data Management

1. Sun Microsystems has initiated a community called Mural to collaboratively develop a Master Data Management (MDM) solution based on open standards and open specifications. MDM, according to Wikipedia, "comprises a set of processes and tools which centrally and persistently define the non-transactional entities of an organization (also called Reference data). The objective of MDM is to collect from, and supply to various processes, unique instances of each entity." Service-oriented architecture (SOA) initiatives are well suited for creating an MDM solution. Mural is an open source community built around the idea of managing the silos of data that enterprises generate each day. Mural contains several community projects creating technology to help enterprises manage structured and unstructured data spread across many systems on heterogeneous platforms. The community contains components that enable organizations to build a true MDM solution and generate a single view of distributed data. Mural is the only end-to-end, full-feature open source MDM solution available today. It also builds upon many years of successful application in vertical markets such as health care, retail and the governmental sector. Sun Microsystems invites JavaOne 2008 attendants to stop by the Mural booth and take a look at the features and possibilities of this exciting technology. Presentations will take place from Tuesday May 6th through Thursday May 8th. Products
    • Mural will continue to evolve with additional input from the community and is available in a commercial form with the Sun MDM Suite release scheduled for June (will also be part of Java CAPS R6 in June).
    • Mural Preview is now available. It is directly downloadable from http://mural.dev.java.net.
    Projects
    • Master Index Studio: Provides the capability to create any domain-specific master index through the matching, de-duplication, merging, and cleansing of data from various data sources.
    • Data Integrator: Provides extract-transform-load (ETL) and extract-load-transform (ELT) capability and supports a wide variety of data sources including relational as well as flat files, spreadsheets, XML, and newer sources such as HTML tables and RSS feeds.
    • Data Quality: Features matching, standardization, normalization, profiling, and cleansing capabilities.
    • Data Services: Provides server-side data mashup capabilities having multiple forms such as exposing data services for enterprise mashups and providing real-time views of information for master data customers.
    • Data Migration: Provides the ability to migrate database objects across database instances and types.
    • Mural builds upon the GlassFish, Open ESB, and NetBeans open-source communities.
    Licenses
    • Mural, GlassFishESB, GlassFish and NetBeans are free to download and free to deploy
    • Mural projects are available under CDDL license from http://mural.dev.java.net
    • Mural is available in a commercial product suite - Sun MDM Suite
    Top Ten Things You Should Know About Mural
    1. Enhanced customer experience. Helps customer retention, aids cross selling, delivers the right customer experience and manages the risk associated with them
    2. Reduced cost and complexity. Maintain master data at a single location and execute transactions locally
    3. Reduced errors. Master data represents accurate and consistent information
    4. Increased visibility. Accurate report generation using master data as a source
    5. Enhanced auditing and compliance. Data changes are accurately registered and available for reference
    6. Open source. Mural is an open source community and is built to support Sun's complete open source stack - "Metal to Mural"
    7. Reduced time to market. Encourages data level collaboration between organizational hierarchies
    8. Single integrated toolset. Integrated toolset to extract data from source systems, clean, profile, match, and load master indexes
    9. Size-to-fit integration solution. Since Open ESB leverages the JBI framework customers can easily assemble an integration solution to fit their specific requirements and integration environment.
    10. Leverage GlassFish and NetBeans. Mural's components are built on and fully support GlassFish and all of the design time tooling is built on NetBeans
  2. This is actually great move by SUN. Though I woule expect that it should have much better PR, than just announcement on TSS :). Actually, being part of CDI/MDM I had seen a lot, including those top rated by Forrester and Gartner, solution and, frankly I'm puzzled with the complexity, lack of knowledge within providers and lack of features. So hopefully something like this, would greatly improve the situation. BTW: Could someone please explain if this product has something in common with SeeBeyound's eViev CDI/MDM?
  3. Here you can overview MDM vendors at the moment http://www.tcdii.com/links/vendorproducts.html. And as I remember SeeBeyound was acquired by SUN, so it's possible that mural is positioned as the evolutionary step forward but there is not only SeeBeyond influence.
  4. Could someone please explain if this product has something in common with SeeBeyound's eViev CDI/MDM?
    Mural is actually the next generation of eView in the larger context of Java CAPS.
  5. This reminds me a lot of Microsoft's Sharepoint BDC (Business Data Catalogue) BDC is as far as I understood it a number xml Schemas (called ADF Application Definition File) that represent a data source meta data, Sharepoint then allow you to shearch all these source and even write back to them BDC's search is considered its killer feature, allowing a business user to search all his enterprise data from a single place, it kinda allow you to search you business datasources the same way you google!
  6. This reminds me a lot of Microsoft's Sharepoint BDC (Business Data Catalogue)

BDC is as far as I understood it a number xml Schemas (called ADF Application Definition File) that represent a data source meta data, Sharepoint then allow you to shearch all these source and even write back to them

BDC's search is considered its killer feature, allowing a business user to search all his enterprise data from a single place, it kinda allow you to search you business datasources the same way you google!
    No, it's something fundamentally different. It's about integrating data and matching it. It basically allows You "marge" two different data siloses into the one - containing the "single truth" about the data (master index). SharePoint has nothing in common with above. Actually MS has not product being MDM/CDI...
  7. SharePoint has nothing in common with above. Actually MS has not product being MDM/CDI...
    Ahem, I think they have one here... http://www.microsoft.com/sharepoint/mdm/default.mspx. Anyhow isn't XAware(.org) a tool of this kind? Isn't this all about data integration?
  8. Ok, other way around - they have nothing, in this area, that anybody cares about :) - no Forrester nor Gartner mention them in their reports. Basi Recally MS probably wanna enter in this market with above initiative - but this is lenghty and hard process. It's not about marketing - it's about installed user base. Taking this, eView and Mural is way ahead. Really exciting move by SUN. Hope they will PR it better and loud... Artur
  9. Why do you think that it's totally hard process? In my mind there is only vendor lock demanding extra integration as a barrier in this area for the moment. So different vendors have their own MDM solutions. There is no standards or any other approaches to fulfill customer needs in a common way. It's vendor dependent as I said. And the most of all I see that SAP, Oracle, etc. (blablabla) with their largest business suites as "data producers". Maybe SUN'mural will become an independent CDI solution to organize process between different vendors.
  10. True. It's all about customer data integration (CDI)
  11. This is really great, been following SUN's SeeBeyond plans to go open source for a while. Actually been using NetBeans/OpenESB in my health care development projects. Mural's position, with respect to health care solutions is just phenomenal. Specifically, the Mural "Master Index Studio" is SeeBeyond's eView/eIndex component that implements an Enterprise Master Patient Index (EMPI). Other EMPI products are proprietary and "extremely" expensive. Seen costs from $100k to millions for licensing and specialized services fees, thus only large health care providers implement EMPI solutions. Also, a current trend to establish Regional Health Information Organization (RHIO) to help share patients records are hot projects all over the country. Unfortuantly, politics are out of control as with spending. The problem, these are Public Health projects funded with tax dollars, and my attempt to promote open source options like Mural are ignored and often ridiculed. Imagine a state like Florida spending millions of tax dollars on RHIO's, then able to share the source with other states. The Mural news is revolutionary, an open source offering based on "open" standard technologies: JEE 5, JSF, EJB 3 and JBI as opposed to (very buggy) commercial proprietary software. The question is, will SUN help make the case - open source is superior in quality and the little guy is right (like me). That is, the little guy, with SUN's open source technologies can provide the solution, without wasting millions on software and consulting vendors. Or, is this just a facade announcement for SUN's services partners (the usual suspects) masquerading open-source but really planning a Trojan Horse business model. Witness SUN's recent Open eHealth foundation announcement, www.openehealth.wikispaces.net, looks like no room for the "little guy".
  12. Or, is this just a facade announcement for SUN's services partners (the usual suspects) masquerading open-source but really planning a Trojan Horse business model.
    This sentence has the sense. Totally I'm afraid of such implementation. I've had some doubts just after George's post. It ruins my perfect world :)
  13. Can this product be considered the new version of SeeBeyond's eView, eIndex and eTL products?
  14. Yes, it is. Initiatives as B2B and MDM are currently being aligned with the JavaCAPS offering, more will be aligned such as OpenSSO and others such as IEP will appear a bit later on. Things will further accelerate near the end of 2009 when GF3 is being leveraged with JBI2/OSGi/OpenESB v3 where components become even more pluggable. The roadmap between now and 2010 is going to show some really cool (r)evolutions.