Discussions

News: TheServerSide returns to JavaOne

1. TheServerSide returns to JavaOne (15 messages)

TSS has yet another booth on the JavaOne conference floor, where we'll be doing insane things like handing out goodies and ... *gasp* talking to people who talk to us. If you're interested, drop by booth 310 on the pavilion floor! It's always fun for us to meet people at our conferences and others - we look forward to it every chance we get.
  2. *sigh* How I wish I was there at JavaOne. `,:o(
  3. Likewise...
  4. Hi Everyone: I'm here. I'm at the Big Show. I'm glad to be your Android JavaOne Attendee Bot. Just point me in the right direction and tell me what you would like to see. I'll check it out and write it up here on TSS. -Frank Cohen http://www.pushtotest.com, booth 425 at JavaOne
  5. Re: Sun keynotes[ Go to top ]

Frank, I would encourage you to give some analysis of the JEE6 differences between Glassfish and Spring sessions, if you can get some of that in.... but the question that I am truly after is why is Sun spending so much time (wasting others?) on Java for the consumer/user, with Rich Green and Jim Gosling doing inane, circa 1995 keynotes ab/ Java being everywhere... furthermore where is Jonathan? and is this statement from Sun: "emerging JavaFX platform" an oxymoron? thanks, look forward to your reviews, per usual, douglas dooley douglasdooley.blogspot.com
  6. One thing to note: JavaFX is still changing. That MAY be the "big news" this year - twice in a row, I guess - that JavaFX has changed. They seemed to be harping on it a lot behind the scenes - word is that they changed a lot of things around. Personally, I wonder how good it WAS, if they're saying it's good NOW, and if it needed so much changing. I don't trust the big splashes at J1 much, I guess.
  7. Consumer Drive Innovation[ Go to top ]

Focus on consumers and end-user consumable services seems to be the focus of JavaOne this year. That will drive the themes at the conference. For example, Ian Freed, the VP of Kindle from Amazon is on the stage. Consumers, consumers, consumers. Odd choice of a theme for a company that makes remarkably geeky, user-unfriendly products as Sun. More soon...
  8. Cool stuff... Sony Ericsson is launching products based on "Emotive Design", cool, simple, plain design. The idea is to create seamless communication and interaction with the devices as if they weren't there. Laughter from the audience... they're showing a "future of technology" video centered around a hand held device that looks just like an iPhone. Multimedia, Web, Communication, Life: Sony Ericsson. Nice to know that Apple got it right! More soon...
  9. Building RIAs becomes more complicated and requires a collaborative effort beteween content, art, and development creators. It's not about the perfect plan; it's really about how quickly you can iterate through a design to improve it and "get it right". Small groups of people playing off one another create incremental value. Connected Life: The Facebook widget with a number of Java services. It manages various connected clients into a single application. Twitter on Java, for Facebook! Everything is embedded in a browser, running on Java update 10. Written in JavaFX. Facebook, flickr, and Twitter, all in one. Ability to move the "applet" outside of the browser and drop it on the desktop. 3-D stuff running, it's very nice... except that it died again thanks to the sucky networking. Note to Sun: please don't skimp on networking? Pretty please? Even the people doing the demos can't run it... Oh... nice. Same application running on a phone. No changes. Just dragged out of the browser to the phone, and it all works. Very cool. Access to the file system, probably with some interesting settings for the security manager. More soon...
  10. Real-time 3-D... demo is running a flocking set of images all over the screen. Changing a tag in the input changes every image in the flock to display something related to it: typing red brings up all images tagged as such, and so on. Now, summer season and movies coming out... demo of movie posters scrolling by... select one and whammo! The movie trailer starts plaing right away! Amazing! 2-D high performance audio and video built-into JavaFX. And now, rotating videos in a 3-D sphere, with simultaneous sound and HD video... incredibly powerful and requires a big processor, not only a big run-time. Connecting developers and designers together. Wow -- cool.
  11. Everything in JavaFX runs across desktops and servers. JavaFX mobile is key, and it's cross-compatible with the desktop versions. It unifies all ME devices by abstracting all the JavaME APIs, and so on. Developers will write to JavaFX instead of CLDC/MIDP. New demo, now going to a mobile device... with Android emulator. JavaFX works across multiple platforms -- demo works in mobile. If you are a content creator or developer... 85% of the world's phones, 91% of desktops, and 100% of Blueray players run Java. Is it a good bet? JavaFX Roadmap: * Today J6 Update 10 preiew release * Jul 2008 Desktop SDK early acces programme * Autumn 2008 JavaFX desktop 1.0 * Spring 2009 JvaFX mobile and TV 1.0 Cheers...
  12. Re: JavaFX Roadmap 2008 - 2009[ Go to top ]

Everything in JavaFX runs across desktops and servers. JavaFX mobile is key, and it's cross-compatible with the desktop versions. It unifies all ME devices by abstracting all the JavaME APIs, and so on. Developers will write to JavaFX instead of CLDC/MIDP.

New demo, now going to a mobile device... with Android emulator.

JavaFX works across multiple platforms -- demo works in mobile. If you are a content creator or developer... 85% of the world's phones, 91% of desktops, and 100% of Blueray players run Java. Is it a good bet?

JavaFX Roadmap:

* Today J6 Update 10 preiew release
    * Jul 2008 Desktop SDK early acces programme
    * Autumn 2008 JavaFX desktop 1.0
    * Spring 2009 JvaFX mobile and TV 1.0

Cheers...
    Thx for the update on JavaFX. I started to try and use it (even bought the book), but then decided to wait for tooling. I am not a graphics person and so, since I would basically just be doing Swing via JavaFx ... .
  13. About GlassFish[ Go to top ]

The new kernel is 98 KB and it loads in just one second! Modular desing geared from mobile to enterprise, all based on the GlassFish kernel. Add new functionality depending on device and application requirements. 550,000 downloads in 2008.
  14. Correction, the GlassFish download rate is now 550k / month. Rich had no scale on the graph and failed to mention it in his talk. GF has been downloaded over 3 million times since last JavaOne.
  15. Sun's building the rocket fuel for the next generation of computing, services, and content delivery. Find, merge, deploy, share services and run them in the cloud or use them on your personal device. Creates an inmersive computing experience that eventually leads to... monetization of those services. Understand the user interaction and create ubiquitous advertising that's unnoticeable by the end-user. JavaFX provides instrumentation for end-user analytics. Open-source and it ensures that everyone has access to it. Java + You. Shipping within 60 days, but no slide committing to a date. Just in case they slip, I guess? And introducing... Jonathan Schwartz!
  16. From Jonathan Schwartz[ Go to top ]

No. 1 priority: Focus on users - Java + You! From kindle to server there are four fundamental differentiating qualities: 1. Reach most devices on the planet for free 2. High-performance: make it compelling for developers to use and deploy the technology... and make it easy! 3. Placing a stake in the ground - instrumentation for content owners to have analytics and decision support as easy as possible 4. This will all be Free (as in beer, and liberty) Neil Young on the stage now!!!!!!!!!