Discussions

News: Free OSGi based CMS GX WebManager 9 Community Edition launched

1. GX WebManager 9, a platform for Enterprise Web Content Management, available commercially since april 2007, is now also available as a Community Edition free of charge. GX WebManager is an Enterprise Web Content Management system, based on OSGi (Apache Felix), Spring MVC and the JCR (Apache Jackrabbit). With the launch of the GX WebManager Community Edition, developers get easy access to the complete Web Content Management platform with a software development kit. The community edition of GX WebManager is downloadable at GX DeveloperWeb (www.gxdeveloperweb.com). This site offers the usual documentation, software downloads, forums, issue tracking (Jira), a wiki (confluence), weblogs and other information. New add-on components (OSGi bundles) can be deployed at runtime directly inside GX Webmanager using the Management Console. The components can be shared with the community at an online exchange (www.wcmexchange.com), and can be installed and updated inside GX WebManager at runtime, without restarting the JEE application server, thanks to the power of OSGi. Components built for GX WebManager are small .jar files, containing the business logic, but also XML descriptors, images, JSPs and other datafiles needed to add functionalities to the CMS. User Interface widgets like panels (popups), elements, buttons etc are provided by WebManager, but custom widgets can be added inside a bundle if needed. Managed storage of content per component can be done using JCR/Jackrabbit, but a developer can use his own storage if needed. Possibilities for components range from simple Youtube elements to complex e-shop functionalities. GX WebManager 9 is a mature Enterprise Web Content Management System, providing functionalities like a professional wysiwyg editor environment, caching mechanisms, clustering, workflow & autorisation and form management. GX WebManager 9 is used at several high profile, high traffic websites, for example schiphol.com, kpn.com, ING, Reed Business, SNS bank, IDG and Nashuatec. GX is a successful web technology business and one of the largest vendors of web content management solutions in Europe. With the help of GX WebManager innovative and reliable solutions are built for customers by GX and GX partners. These solutions range from modern informative websites to online marketing and sales channels requiring integrations with enterprise software.
  2. GX looks nice but unfortunatly the community edition is only free for personal use http://www.gxdeveloperweb.com/Software/GXWebManager-Community-Edition-FAQ.htm
  3. Enterprise Edition Cost?[ Go to top ]

What's the license and maintenance & support cost for the Enterprise Edition? Ballpark estimate? Is it a Joomla alternative in Java?
  4. What's the license and maintenance & support cost for the Enterprise Edition? Ballpark estimate?

Is it a Joomla alternative in Java?
    Because of the component structure, the pricing of the Enterprise Edition depends on what components you buy. Maintenance & support is a percentage of the license price. Please contact GX sales if you want to know more. Sorry that I can't be more clear right now, we're working on a more transparent pricing model, which is not that easy with components. It's not open source, although that wouldn't be a large step for us to do, because the product is built using exclusively open source from the start (the product is now about 8 years old), both as components/libraries (tomcat, lucene etc) and for R&D (maven, Jira, Bamboo etc). We're discussing where to go from where we are now, with opening it up more as a realistic option. Right now have taken the route of the business model from companies like Atlassian. The Community Edition can be used without problems for websites, it's the same source code base as the commercial version, and the license of the Community Edition shouldn't impose too many restrictions. Does this fulfill your needs?
  5. I've downloaded this product and it seems to do what it promises. I'll keep jou posted but sofar no I'm pretty happy.. John
  6. UI Development?[ Go to top ]

Hi Martijn: Congratulations on shipping the new version 9. I like the user interface in 9. It looks very clean and simple. We're starting to build a new UI for our open source test tool (the next version will even use Jackrabbit) and I wondered if you could recommend a UI toolset? -Frank Cohen http://www.pushtotest.com
  7. Re: UI Development?[ Go to top ]

Congratulations on shipping the new version 9.
    Thanks! Version 9.0 is actually released more then a year ago and used in production at a lot of our customers sites. The Community Edition is a new initiative though, based on 9.4 (we release a new version the first week of every quarter, to be as predictable as possible). Actually, one of the nice things of OSGi is that we can accelerate our R&D productivity, because engineers can work indepent on new functionalities!
    I like the user interface in 9. It looks very clean and simple. We're starting to build a new UI for our open source test tool (the next version will even use Jackrabbit) and I wondered if you could recommend a UI toolset?
    The UI has been a lot of work, it's based on DomAPI (http://www.domapi.com/), with a lot of custom code built around it. We have been working for years to get it like this, it was a lot of work, but we're now quite proud of what we achieved here! Because of browser differences, the editor environment is only supported in Internet Explorer and Firefox, it was too hard to get it working in other browsers :( We have done a lot of research into all the Ajax/UI frameworks, but frankly it's still quite a mess as you know, with lots of players, standard and new entries in the framework area all the time. GWT looks very nice, Java Server Faces is also an option, but for the short term we will stick with DomAPI with custom code.