Seam 2.0.2.GA released

Discussions

News: Seam 2.0.2.GA released

1. Seam 2.0.2.GA released (18 messages)

We've just announced that Seam 2.0.2 has reached GA. This release brings over over 150 bugfixes to Seam 2 (released back in November), and, with over 70,000 downloads since then, Seam 2 has had good exposure! Documentation improvements include a new look and feel, new content includes a chapter on getting started with JBoss Tools, a tutorial on internationalising your app, and updated information on using Seam with different application containers.

Threaded Messages (18)

2. OSGi bundle[ Go to top ]

Great work guys! Seam really do solve most of the pain points with JSF development. Any chance you guys could turn Seam into an OSGi bundle? /Daniel
  3. Re: OSGi bundle[ Go to top ]

Great work guys! Seam really do solve most of the pain points with JSF development.

Any chance you guys could turn Seam into an OSGi bundle?

/Daniel
    Daniel, I'm sorry to pick on you, but, do you even know what that means? Do you think that just because something is packaged as an OSGi bundle it will magically be able to integrate with anything? OSGi doesn't go much beyond classloader import/export, start/stop/publishing of services. It doesn't even define a dependency injection mechanism. Since SEAM is a framework on top of a Servlet engine, unless the servlet engine has the appropriate SPIs, you're not going to get much from packaging it as an OSGi bundle that you don't already get in non-OSGi servers. Don't get me wrong, I love OSGi. The Java industry needs a standardized kernel, but OSGi still lacks a lot of abstractions that are necessary to have a true pluggable and integratable deployment process. We've implemented a lot of these abstractions in the JBoss 5 kernel (a long with OSGi support) and hope to eventually get them in the OSGi specification so that all can benefit. -- Bill Burke JBoss, a division of Red Hat http://bill.burkecentral.com
  4. Re: OSGi bundle[ Go to top ]

That sounded like a pretty big no to me. We deploy maybe 10-15 apps in a single server instance (mostly small intranet apps). There are probably some 50 dependencies common amongst the apps. Currently, the only option is to bundle them with each and every app. That's quite a waste if you ask me. I'm not looking for much "magic". How about to let me keep my dependencies in a shared repository, without worrying about version conflicts? That would be more then enough benefit from having the libraries I depend on packaged as bundles. As for Seam being on top of the Servlet API - JSF RI and MyFaces are certainly also built on top of the Servlet API, and are available as bundles.
  5. Re: OSGi bundle[ Go to top ]

That sounded like a pretty big no to me.

We deploy maybe 10-15 apps in a single server instance (mostly small intranet apps). There are probably some 50 dependencies common amongst the apps. Currently, the only option is to bundle them with each and every app. That's quite a waste if you ask me.

I'm not looking for much "magic". How about to let me keep my dependencies in a shared repository, without worrying about version conflicts? That would be more then enough benefit from having the libraries I depend on packaged as bundles.

As for Seam being on top of the Servlet API - JSF RI and MyFaces are certainly also built on top of the Servlet API, and are available as bundles.
    I really don't know if somebody has done a Seam OSGi bundle. I don't work on the project. I would guess not because, again, IMO, it really doesn't add that much, if anything, to Seam and they probably have higher priority items. But, I'm sure if you asked or made a big stink about it they'd take care of it. They are a very receptive community. Maybe you could do some research and help Seam create an OSGi bundle? I'm sure the rest of the community would be real appreciative.
  6. Re: OSGi bundle[ Go to top ]

It doesn't even define a dependency injection mechanism...
    While we are at DI, I would like to ask Mr. Burke if he would be kind to provide his opinion regarding Spring's new App Server. (This is serious question, no trolling intent whatsoever)
  7. Re: Seam 2.0.2.GA released[ Go to top ]

How does this compare to WEB4J? (see: http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=49372)
  8. "X web framework has a second minor release since the latest major bringing a couple of bugfixes." - Amazing.. do we really need a news item for that? Or I miss the added value somewhere? Maybe it's the new documentation laf?
  9. +1 No new features, just bug fixes and there's a news about in on TSS?!?! I think Gavin King's framework is marketed at the best. (By the way, I never used Seam, but I respect Gavin and his works).
  10. Re: I hardly see the news value[ Go to top ]

I don't know for others, but for me this post has great value. It brought me the right information the moment I needed. Thanks!
  11. In an age of Digg and RSS aggregators, having sites like TSS only promote one or two news items a day just isn't hardly enough. I would be more than happy to see Joe turn the dial to 11 on posting everything and anything to increase readership. Not all posts need to be some awe inspiring revelation on Java development.
  12. News item frequency[ Go to top ]

For the record: our average number of posts per weekday is three, with it occasionally going to five. The "one post per day" trend is quite rare.
  13. Re: News item frequency[ Go to top ]

For the record: our average number of posts per weekday is three, with it occasionally going to five. The "one post per day" trend is quite rare.
    For the record, I actually like the low frequency of new posts on TSS. It gives the posts that do make it far more exposure and more chance for a healthy discussion.
  14. Re: News item frequency[ Go to top ]

Please don't take it the wrong way :-) I just want to see more, even stuff like this. There's 5+ sites I have to check just to get up to date on Java.
  15. Re: I hardly see the news value[ Go to top ]

"X web framework has a second minor release since the latest major bringing a couple of bugfixes." - Amazing.. do we really need a news item for that? Or I miss the added value somewhere? Maybe it's the new documentation laf?
    Do we need news items about Rick Hightower calling in sick to work? Or yet another item on how "Java is Dead"? This is why i first read www.infoq.com in the morning and TSS only occasionally now.
  16. "X web framework has a second minor release since the latest major bringing a couple of bugfixes." - Amazing.. do we really need a news item for that? Or I miss the added value somewhere? Maybe it's the new documentation laf?

Do we need news items about Rick Hightower calling in sick to work? Or yet another item on how "Java is Dead"? This is why i first read www.infoq.com in the morning and TSS only occasionally now.
    Thanks, Bill. (I love this kind of post: wouldn't it make you feel great if I posted stuff like "this is why I never use Red Hat or JBoss, but Windows rocks" on jboss.org?) Incidentally, Rick Hightower calling in sick wasn't newsworthy; it was what he posted about it that I found interesting, as did others. YMMV. And as far as Java being dead, I think the amount and quality of responses is itself an answer to the claim of Java's death -- personally, the claim itself is "eh" but the nature of the response says that the claim itself is wrong.
  17. Re: I hardly see the news value[ Go to top ]

Do we need news items about Rick Hightower calling in sick to work? Or yet another item on how "Java is Dead"?
    Of course we do.
    This is why i first read InfoQ in the morning and TSS only occasionally now.
    Yeah reading threads on InfoQ with 0 users comments is fun fun.
  18. Good Work[ Go to top ]

Guys you have done very good work It simplifies lot of stuff
  19. Great job[ Go to top ]

I particularly like Seam's support for conversations and easy tie-in to Hibernate. It looks as if this release has also fixed a number of issues with earlier versions.